International bank transfers

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• suffolkpunch
    Participant

Another vote for Travelwise.

Only used them recently for the first time, but it was no problem to set-up and it was near instantaneous.

Highly recommended and a satisfactory rate.

Travelfoot
    Participant

I can also highly recommend Transfer wise. I have regularly used it very efficiently. One transfer took 8 seconds to reach the destined account. Interbank rates of the time and low reasonable fees.

alainboy56
    Participant

I also use Revolut and TransferWise. Cannot praise them enough. Never had a problem.

@in the sandpit- I also too am semi-departing those shores, as somebody has recently ‘turned off the lights and shut the door’ up the other end of the coast. Your previous town at the other end will bubble on a little longer until after Expo perhaps but then IMHO I am sorry to say the lights will also be very much dimmed there too.
    I have ‘for my sins’ found new opportunities so now it seems I should be re-designated a ‘Riyadh Boy’ but as I will vacate my villa (for 12 years) and downgrade to a nice appartment in the same town shortly, I will keep my moniker a little while longer. Especially after having had an AD Residence Visa for nearly 26 years, I have just transferred my allegiance and now have one for another 2 years from the noisy neighbours down the road.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I started this thread and I should give a brief follow-up.

Many thanks for the comments and advice. The problem is, I think, in the USA.

I complained to our bank, and they said that one transfer, to a branch of Wells Fargo in California, failed because I did not quote a Fedwire number. Now, setting aside the point that our bank has said that a Fedwire number was desirable but not obligatory, I wrote to the person I am trying to pay.

She replied “I just called my bank and the woman checked on a Fedwire #. She didn’t know of one and checked with her supervisor, she didn’t know what it was either.”

So a USA bank will not accept a transfer without a Fedwire number, but also does not know what a Fedwire number is.

What do you do? Truly, the USA can be a very primitive country at times.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=986650]So a USA bank will not accept a transfer without a Fedwire number, but also does not know what a Fedwire number is.[/postquote]

Maybe it’s just a question of terminology. A Fedwire number is another name for an ABA routing number. Perhaps that’s how they might understand it.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls