Injury sustained at Chep Lap Kok Airport, Hong Kong

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• SANDYMAC
    Participant

In January this year, my 3-year old Granddaughter sustained a very nasty head injury whilst walking across the passenger bridge from her flight to the terminal at Chek Lap Kok. A piece of metal under the handrail caught the side of her head and left her bleeding profusely and very upset.
    A report was made and she was taken by ambulance to North Lantau Hospital where her wound was attended to. Six months on, the scar on her forehead is a visible reminder she will have forever. My Daughter was left out of pocket with the considerable hospital expenses but the Hong Kong Airport Authority refuse to take any responsibility for this incident nor will they compensate my Daughter in any way. They say it hasn’t happened anywhere else to anyone else, which is a ridiculous cop out. The fact is this DID happen and it happened to my Granddaughter. How the AA can possibly not hold themselves responsible for something which happened on their premises is both unbelievable and unfair.
    I used to feel rather proud of our airport, which I thought was up to date in it’s look and thinking. Sadly, it appears they are only interested in their own profit and not in any way in passengers’ safety.

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

If it was a bracket that secures the hand rail then it should be made of rounded material to avoid sharp edges, these are building regulations and covered by HSE which HK undertakes . Did you granddaughter trip, or because of her height walk onto the object.

SANDYMAC
    Participant

Hi. No she didn’t trip. It is simply that the bracket is not the right design for someone of her height, nor many many other children I would say, so she just walked into it. I’ll attach a photo of a similar handrail bracket which, as you can see, is rounded, but still has an “edge” to it which is sharp.

cwoodward
    Participant

A simple but unfortunate accident-no more no less. They happen in a blink of an eye to toddlers and the scar on a 3 year year old will fade probably to almost nothing.
    From the image the bracket looks perfectly ‘fit for purpose’ and perhaps the best way forward is to forget about the accident as the child will have done weeks ago.

5 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t think you can create a zero risk environment here.

Very unfortunate, but with a large concourse it should surely not have been necessary to be right underneath the rail where the bracket is. I know the argument is that kids are kids etc, and tend to run around: but the flip side is adults are adults and should be taking responsibility.

I understand in the modern world the initial response is always “who can I sue” but in reality it sounds like an unfortunate accident and I can understand why the airport does not feel it has liability. Maybe a call to your daughter’s travel insurer for the medical costs?

8 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls