Influencer banned for life from CX after trying to demand business class upgrade

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Full story: https://www.gatechecked.com/influencer-banned-for-life-from-cathay-pacific-after-trying-to-demand-business-class-upgrade-1877

I am always amazed to read how stupid some people can be. There is a famous say in French that reads: Idiots dare everything, this is how we can spot them… (“Les cons, ça ose tout; c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnait”).

Inquisitive
    Participant

Good job CX. I cannot understand why someone will buy a product just because it is advertised by a celebrity or a influencer without looking in to the merit of that product.

capetonianm
    Participant

Influencer = free-loading parasite.
    Celebrity = self-important nonentity.

If I used ‘social’ media, and I don’t, I would boycott anything advertised by the above.

FrDougal
    Participant

I’m really hoping this is the beginning of the end of this social influencer nonsense. They’re nothing but bullies.

Ahmad
    Participant

I wonder who reported @captonianm. I hope the red letters are removed sooner rather than later and action is taken against the perpetrator for misuse (unless of course it was reported in error).

8 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry Capetonian, I accidently clicked “report” just now instead of “quote”!!! Nothing wrong at all in your post, I just wanted to say I agree fully with your comments and as always you have the right turn of phrase for such things.

“Influencer = free-loading parasite.
    Celebrity = self-important nonentity.”

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thanks LP. However somebody else (anonymously) reported the posting as ‘inappropriate’ very shortly after its appearance, and presumably not in error! I suspect I know who it was but ‘no names no packdrill’.

I owe you an email, it will be on its way to you later today.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=971388][/postquote]

This really is a flaw of the forum software. Most forums have a ‘report’ button that discretely reports comments so that issues can be assessed or de-escalated quickly. The moderators then do the rest, using their judgement.

This forum by contrasts highlights it all quite obviously in red and thus inflames things further, as this thread shows.

Of course there is nothing wrong with the post here.

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t object to the fact that the forum software highlights that a post has been reported. I have a problem that it can be done anonymously, which in my view is cowardly, and with no accountability, and that the ‘reporter’ doesn’t have to give a reason, even if was only from a ‘multiple choice’ list such as the Daily Telegraph, where the options are :
    Offensive
    Off Topic
    Spam
    Disagree

I can’t see the point of the ‘disagree’ one though since disagreements, as long as expressed in a civil manner, are to be expected.

My policy with posting on forums is that I won’t post a comment or response that I wouldn’t make to the other person face to face. I am considered by those who know me to be rather outspoken though, but I do try to remain civil and respectful even in disagreement.

6 users thanked author for this post.

RHMAngel
    Participant

Agree with free loader and no business should use them as an advertising model

Celebrity – agreed too, what ever happened to skill set or a profession

But do we fly certain airlines or stay in hotels because of high profile individuals?

At the risk of sounding old – how is an influencer different from old fashioned celebrities being used in magazines to pedal a brand ? One gets payment in goods and the other likely goods and a fee.

Ps I fly an airline or stay in a hotel for reputation and reviews not a celeb or overgrown youth who got lucky using YouTube as a means to communicate to the masses what to buy, eat & drink.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=971646]But do we fly certain airlines or stay in hotels because of high profile individuals?[/quote]

This is the interesting question. I, personally, do not. But then I don’t really indulge in Instagram and the likes.

Saying that there is a whole generation of people that are literally spending hours daily watching ‘influencers’ on social media and yet don’t pick up a newspaper or google for a bona fide review.

I’m guessing that some influencers must do exactly what their ‘job title’ implies. Influence people. Many airlines bend over backwards to accommodate their requests in exchange for positive reviews/blurbs etc.

I think where the real danger area is the total lack of transparency. These influencers should HAVE to be very clear in spelling out exactly how their ‘amazing business class experience from XXX airlines’ came to be. Did they make it aware to the airlines marketing/PR department that they are an influencer with a million followers and will be travelling on x flight? Did they approach the airline for free flights? Did they ask for an upgrade of offered one? .

Even some on the online bloggers fall victim to this. There is one who prides himself on not notifying airlines of when he is doing reviews and using miles or revenue from his site to buy premium tickets. He recently reported on an amazing First Class trip with Air France where they really seemed to pull out EVERY stop to go the extra mile for him. And i’m not saying that that could not happen genuinely as I know AF has a superb F product. But it was just a tad OTT. But the reality is even when these bloggers go ‘undercover’ or such…there’s such a thing as Google. AF has a cabin containing FOUR F seats on SOME of their aircraft. If I was crew or ground staff I would totally be googling my passengers before the flight in that instance, especially if it was one taking photos of everything. In this bloggers case, had one of the ground staff/crew googled the bloggers name he would have immediately been identified as a high profile aviation blogger.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst I don’t agree with anyone trying to demand upgrades by virtue of social media, firms obviously do value ‘Influencers’ and their following. How many of you have seen reviews by either Sam Chui or Noel Philips. I am sure they pay for most of their trips, but BA consider Sam a serious enough ‘Influencer’ to invite him back stage for the A350 launch as do many other airlines. If I need to undertake any research, I do value both Sam and Noel’s You Tube reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua4oFVz39vM Sams ride on a BBJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rUnV1XGZY Noel around the world in 80 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jpI5Kr0xQ Noel Easy jet v Flybe for Airport Assistance

I have friends working for newspapers who agree to give editorials in exchange for experiencing the product and advertising revenue. Some of my son’s friends make a very good living from Vlogging (still dont fully understand it). Bottom line is people can make a very good living as Influencers and large companies do sponsor and pay for the exposure.

On the down side, there was an example a year or so ago where an Influencer tried to ruin a restaurant somewhere in Ireland when the restaurant, didn’t want to exchange a meal for some free exposure.

capetonianm
    Participant

A hotel has banned YouTubers and Instagram stars – after a 22-year-old YouTuber asked for a five-night free stay and broke down in tears when she was bluntly refused.

The issue started when Elle Darby, a UK-based social media influencer, with 87,000 YouTube subscribers and 76,000 Instagram followers, reached out to the owner of The White Moose Café, Paul Stenson, asking if he was interested in a “possible collaboration.”

In an email to the Dublin hotel, Darby wrote: “I work as a social media influencer, mainly lifestyle, beauty & travel based.”

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/dublin-hotel-blogger-white-moose-11895109

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/blogger-elle-darby-white-moose-11912808

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/hotel-bans-influencers-instagram-social-media-stars-elle-darby-the-white-moose-cafe-a8166926.html

I have been there for meals in the past, great little cafe, it’s quite close to Smithfield where I sometimes stayed when working in Dublin. The silly cow is actually a distant relative of a friend of ours – to her shame!

1 user thanked author for this post.

RHMAngel
    Participant

Good for White Moose Cafe and Cathays

(Think folk know where I’m coming from)

Sooner businesses big or small stand up to this nonsense the better.

Have no beef with actors or celebrities being paid clearly to peddle and advertise when it’s clear. Haven’t we all at some point dreamed of being travel writers and reviewers.

The business knows what model and measurement it’s getting into.

Earning a living as beauty, travel influencer – please don’t insult seasoned travellers who love the odd upgrade based on their frequent flyer status and custom.

SimonS1
    Participant

She seems to fit perfectly the description given earlier by capetonian.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls