Infant seats in CX business class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• oldchinahand
    Participant

Personally I would ban all Australians from first and business class cabins on the grounds that they are large,loud and disruptive.Drink the plane dry by 3 hours into a long-haul flight and don’t play rugby very well!

ivornomates
    Participant

Can we add Americans to that all be it they dont play rugby at all, but a girls version where they spend more time slapping each others back than actually trying to score

CHINABOY
    Participant

I concur 1000% – I am so tired of being on a flight with a screaming,
    wailing, crying infant or child, especially considering what I have
    paid for the so-called privilege of flying in either First or Business
    Class. While I don’t mean to sound mean or even discriimanatory,
    all passengers in premium classes deserve the right to a quiet
    environment. If CX goes ahead with such seating it will, in my
    humble opinion, be as big a mistake as was the installation of
    its Business Class herringbone, claustrophobic seating plan
    initiated several years ago.

Kaicat75
    Participant

Why just because someone can afford it does it give premium class passengers any more right to a quiet journey than those in economy?

Well behaved children should be welcome in any class.

CHINABOY
    Participant

TO KAICAT75: I did not mean to imply that only Premium seating passengers should be free of noisy children; my thoughts were aimed only at those two classes because I don’t choose to fly in economy for a number of valid reasons,

Of course all classes should not have to suffer the inconvenience and annoyance of noisy, crying or badly behaved children. I quite agree that well-behaved children should indeed be welcome in any class on board a plane and I have had the pleasure of flying with many who were a total joy and were perfect little ladies and gentlemen. Badly behaved children on a plane are, in truth, more a reflection on their parents and their lack of control or skills raising their progeny.

CHINABOY
    Participant

To PROLITE BOSS: Your comments are actually very
    funny indeed even if they are rather mean. Loved what you
    said about the overhead bins and the roof. You should
    be writing comedy scripts for films and TV. I seldom
    agree with you but certainly do appreciate your wit. Thanks
    for the smiles.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Proliteboss – please send your dimensions through so I can arrange with Airbus and Boeing for a suitable overhead bin to be reserved especially for you. I am sure a pillow will be included!

Better still you could find some peace and quiet in the cargo hold, apparently it can be heated and is very quiet.

alynecg
    Participant

This is nice idea. Now a days parents go places with their kids. I really appreciate airlines who do special things with the kids. We adults don’t mind seating down for a long time but imagine the kids who love to move around. For the infant…may you can put a movable a car seat type beside the seat of the parent. it will be attach to the seat with a special belt. the baby should have special seat belt too..if in case there is need to wear it.

Having just come back from NYC to upstate NY in business class on Amtrak, I have to side on the “no babies in business class” group. One mother with her three children boarded in Albany. When she couldn’t find a seat for all three of her children together, she complained to one of the conductors, who started asking people to move. One gentleman gave up his seat, which unfortunately was behind me. She had to place the screaming infant in her lap and did nothing to quiet the child. Several times she left the child alone, screaming, while she took the other children to the bathroom. Many people were upset and complained, including myself. They offered the woman an entire cart for her and her children. The woman refused saying she had a “right” to be there. One woman politely asked her to move to the other cart and she again refused. That is when I told her–this is business class, people paid extra money and expect quiet while they are working. She told me that if I didn’t like it, I should move into economy. She was indignent, rude and felt she was entitled to let her children scream. I complained to the head conductor, who then called his supervisor and basically stated that for political correctness reasons they weren’t going to force her to move. It was a 5 hour train ride from hell!

My problem with this is, the woman has a mere license, not a right, to be on the train. If she doesn’t follow the rules and regulations of Amtrak, including not disturbing other passengers, they can appropriately ask her to move. In this instance, she flaunted the fact that she felt entitled to be there and could care less about other people’s needs. At a minimum, she needed to try and keep her children quiet during the voyage.

I now have seen online that business class is now being advocated by parenting sites as a place to bring your children because of the space, etc. It does not address proper etiquette. As we all know, it should be addressed because of the concern that people, who are paying extra for business class, expect quiet travel and should not be subjected to the noise. Moreover, there is a difference between regular fare and business class/1st class fare. With regular fare, you understand that all of the travel problems may or may not arise during the trip. With business travel, there is a higher expectation due to the fact that you are paying a higher fee. Like it or not parents need to recognize this!!!!

I am now a firm believer that children should not be in business class.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I’ve responded to this theme a number of times on the other threads, so I don’t intend to repeat my feelings here.

What I would say is that I am staggered how many mean-minded, pompous, self-important and arrogant so-and-sos there are at times on this Forum.

Proliteboss – I pray to God I never have the “pleasure” of your company on a flight as I find your views, frankly, to be obnoxious. Furthermore, Mr “Boss” (and it says a lot about you that you feel you have to include that in your tag name), I also pray that I never have to do business with you or, heaven forfend, work for you. You must be loads of fun to have as a “Boss” given your obvious lack of tolerance towards others and your apparent penchant for draconian solutions to even the most mundane problem or irritant.

Safe travels,

Simon

lloydah
    Participant

Come on you lot. Take a deep breath. Most of us have kids and take them on board sometimes. But, reading the posts here, I can say that we all think our own behave well, and I expect they do. There’s always going to be the selfish few who allow brattish behaviour from their progeny, I expect they learn it from their parents. It all points to the fact that, in whatever class of travel, we do not expect to have our own personal space invaded by those who should know better or are in control of those who are too young to know better. With an adult we can complain directly, it’s simply not the same with children, we speak to the parents and they immediately become aggrieved, embarrassed, protective, whatever. I have complained about loutish behaviour from fellow pax and they have been dealt with by CC. I know everyone has the same rights on public transport but they have the same responsibilities as well. That includes the fat cat in first who thinks he’s God and the irksome infant in WT whose parent thinks they are the Son of God.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I can’t fault anything you said, there, Iloydah.

Simon

lloydah
    Participant

Thanks Simon. This theme seems to run and run so it’s obviously something that gets under the skin easily. I have not felt the need to complain for ages now. Let’s hope it continues like that.
    Lloyd

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Lloyd. Strange that – I don’t think I’ve complained about much for a while either. It doesn’t sit well with my “grumpy old man” image.

Still – I’m off in Virgin First Class (rail) to London this week, with a Hilton stay, then Swiss and some Dornier-operated Lufty codeshare to Dresden the week after, so I’m sure I’ll find something to winge about 😉

Cheers, Simon

The real crux of the problem is that the travel businesses, whether airlines or trains, are not placing and/or enforcing policies of appropriate travel behavior. We all agree that children running in the aisles or other similar behavior is inappropriate. We all agree that it is the parent’s responsibility to curb that behavior. So what are our options then when the parent does nothing or refuses to curb that behavior as in my situation? We need to look to the company providing the service to remedy it. I don’t think it is asking that much.

I looked on Amtrak and they do reserve the right to ask a passenger to move to a different location.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls