Incident involving pet on board and allergy

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

If my daughter had a life threatening illness that could be triggered by breathing in nut vapor I certainly would not take her on an aircraft !

travelworld2
    Participant

I know. I find it extraordinary that anyone would get on an aircraft expecting the airline to agree not to serve nuts. The paper says that the father wasn’t aware that BA served nuts. If the allergy is as severe as is stated I find it puzzling that he didn’t take steps to find out. Moreover, even if BA had withdrawn the nuts, another passenger could easily have brought their own- which presumably would have had the same effect.

It may sound harsh, and I have every sympathy for the poor girl, but I’m afraid some people expect the world to revolve around them, not the other way round.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fully agree with both of you. Further, if i had a child with such a life threatening allergy, I’d take a mask with a filter with me. Even if it’s requested not too eat nuts it should be borne in mind that not everyone listens to all the announcements and often they are unintelligible anyway!

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

You’re expecting the parent to behave responsibly, not to rely on others to be accountable for their child and not to feel entitled?

Where is this place you speak of?
    Have you time-traveled from the distant past and taken such ridiculous civic notions with you?

I say! Whatever next?!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

TheRealBabushka a definite +1

esselle
    Participant

I am reminded of a pre-spin days piece of spin from BA which dates back, probably, to the mid -90’s. BA stopped serving the (much loved) cashew nuts in First, citing growing concerns over the increasing incidence of nut allergies.

It was only when the challenges started coming in about the fact that they were still serving peanuts in economy that they were again made available to F pax, with rumblings about it all being about cost………..

Ekond222
    Participant

….I remember BA stopped serving Brazil Nuts in their mixed nut offering – but they never stopped serving nuts (presented in a navy blue container with the ‘Fly to Serve Logo on it) in Club – it saved them 40K per year….but they did not stop serving nuts in Club and First.

esselle
    Participant

I may be a small point, but it is true to say they withdrew cashew nuts from first class in the way outlined in my last post, and for the reasons cited.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BA still thankfully serve nuts… packets of very delicious packet nuts, which I try to take additional supplies of in Club and Club World and not sure of the supplier in F, but they are certainly not served in packets…..

I do believe that Virgin no longer serve nuts, citing nut allergies…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

That probably explains why they no longer have nuts in the Virgin lounge in JNB.

Anyone remember KP Nuts? Are they still sold?

esselle
    Participant

Indeed KP nuts are still around, and whilst you may not get them in the VS lounges any more, you can buy them in the shops on their trains!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks Esselle. Good to know, though I expect they now cost a bit more than the 2d I used top pay in the school tuck shop!

esselle
    Participant

Did you wash your KP nuts down with Cydrax or Peardrax LP?

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls