Incident involving pet on board and allergy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

MS@01:41

Isn’t it just …. I admit to a tear or two!

So what I want to know is how many of you made your own singing Kitty videos??? 😉 :-))

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I thought it was going to end with human interaction with the cat, without the bars…. Perhaps Dr Doolittle actually existed 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

Would the cat be entitled to EU261 compensation?

Maybe a voucher for some cat food?

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers for calling them, and letting me know,

Brogues, designer jeans and long sleeved shirt it is!
    Yes I’ve shivered home on numerous occasions, taking the preferred 3.30 open decked ferry,although it didn’t stop me having a cold Tsing Tao at the same time!
    Only going to agitate my pal, he’s feared of heights so the terrace is perfect. He breaks into a sweat going into Aqua! : )

BigDog.
    Participant

Being candid, was a touch sceptical about the complainant in the OP – potentially chancing his arm to get an upgrade.

However having read this reaction to nuts – purely by scent being recycled through the aircraft air conditioning system – am strongly reconsidering my view.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724684/Nut-allergy-girl-went-anaphylactic-shock-plane-passenger-ignored-three-warnings-not-eat-nuts-board.html

What do you think Dr. David G?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m not defending the guy but if my daughter was so allergic I’d make her wear a mask on the flight, after all there are so many other ways for nuts to be released that it’s a risk I wouldn’t take.

travelworld2
    Participant

LuganoPirate 14/08/2014@1608

+1

canucklad
    Participant

LP +2……Totally irresponsible parenting. And typical of the world we live in now….everybody else has to alter their lifestyle to suit one individual. Albeit,you’ve got to feel for the poor wee lass who probably has no idea why she’s got this terrible affliction .

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I am not an allergy expert BigDog (not an expert on anything much clinical these days) but nut allergies, although rare, can be quite nasty. I have looked at the story in the Mail, and it appears that her parents were carrying an adrenaline syringe, the essential precaution for a patient at risk of anaphylaxis from nuts or any of the other rare causes.

I do not know how much protection any ordinary mask will give. I had a colleague who was highly allergic to laboratory rats but managed with a gadget that looked like a space helmet that filtered the air she was breathing. She looked like Darth Vader, I expect the rats were terrified….

I have been on a plane where the presence of a person with a severe nut allergy has been announced and no nuts were served.

There is no easy answer – anyone who has had a child with a severe medical problem will know how difficult it is to make minimum fuss and live as normal a life as possible, while managing the illness at the same time.

A hope for the future is that really excellent work is being done in the Cambridge medical school on ways to control nut allergies.

Dog allergies – the original event on this thread – are generally much less of a worry than nut allergy.

first_class_please
    Participant

While sympathies to the young girl, I do think it wrong that the so called “selfish” passenger received a two year ban from flying on Ryanair.

There must be a legal option there for denying said passenger freedom to eat his own food on board, which I believe is allowed.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

As the OP, thanks for the interesting article.

I had forgotten about this incident and vaguely remember promising to see how it ended and revert back, which I will do.

Suffering from these types of nut allergies etc must be terrible though, especially when travelling in confined spaces. Seems the parents were prepared, which the person in my example wasn’t.

SimonS1
    Participant

I’d be surprised if there was any legal case to answer. I thought under aviation rules passengers were required to obey an instruction from the commander of the aircraft.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

SimonS1, I’ll follow it up and check.

I’m curious to see how Aegean dealt with it. They’re normally quite fair from my experience. Given that people on here seem to demand from airlines, like BA, thousands of FF miles when their salads are missing a few cherry tomatoes, I’ll be interested to see how the airline dealt with it.

That said, by the sounds of things the person in my example didn’t appear to be well prepared for encountering a dog on board, which he should have been, irrespective of how rare it is to find pets travelling in the passenger cabins of aircraft.

BigDog.
    Participant

Another one involving nuts.

…”British Airways ‘bullied’ family of girl, 5, with severe allergy into leaving plane after father asks airline not to serve nuts during flight”…

Imo the father was the bully not BA, as he presented BA with a fait accompli whereas he could have ascertained the position before booking let alone boarding.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2787807/british-airways-denies-request-not-serve-nuts-flight.html

Although one can really sympathise with the little girl and the father wanting to normalise life for her, guaranteeing a “nut free” environment would be nigh on impossible for BA and undoubtedly the father would be making a claim should anything untoward happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls