Improved Club World service introduction date anyone?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

£400m – so I assume this is an improvement to soft product only? Seats will remain as is (2006 design) on existing aircraft.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

RFerguson. Thanks for the comments above

As Rob over on HeadForPoints pointed out, whilst a £400million upgrade to premium catering amounts to a potentially significant improvement, this (pardon my scepticism) can and probably will be rescinded at some point as and when Walsh/Cruz et al decide that the shareholder’s dividend/IAG’s debt rating is getting imperilled. Conversely, putting (some of) that money into a seriously upgraded hard product (new, improved CW seat anyone…?) simply cannot be withdrawn once it has been deployed. It is astonishing to witness some One World members now on their second business class seat revamp since BA first introduced ying-yang.

It is, however, good news to read from a seasoned and informed BA insider that the motes have fallen away from the BA bean-counters’ eyes. I am taking it that the latter have finally realised that they are losing customers, revenues and profits owing to their stubborn refusal to recognise that their premium products were no longer competitive at the price being charged.

Ian
    Participant

I was looking forward to flying home from JFK on the VS04 and sampling their lounge for the first time there. Upon checking in at the lounge (from an internal Delta flight from FLL, my bags checked through), I was told this flight was cancelled due to technical issues, and we were being re-routed on the BA flight home, as while EC and PE pax could get on their latter flights, there was no room for UC.

I was told bags would be re-routed automatically (huh) and we would have to go to T7 for our flight. Disappointingly I waved goodbye to the serenity of the quiet VS lounge to the bedlam of the BA lounge. Scruffy, busy, poor food and not so inviting, imho.

I hadn’t flown BA J class for a while (F previous 2 occasions or VS), and was so disappointed with no choice of starters, just a beetroot salad and no choice of dessert. Mains were a typical J class affair – ie. tolerable. No wine was offered, and I had to ask if a wine service was available. Of course, I was told and some was brought over to me. I had hoped it was to be a proactive service.

The breakfast card option was delivered to me an hour before landing, a burrito style egg and bacon thingy which was OK, but quite disappointed with the food offering and service, the way they just plonk your tray pre-filled on your table and that is that. I wish I had taken their $1000 F upgrade, but with an under 6 hour flying time, I didn’t think it worth it.

Needless to say, my luggage did not turn up at T5 with my flight and I had to wait 36 hours for its delivery!

I look forward to this so called improved CW service, as I am in no current hurry to return to BA CW as it stands right now.

rferguson
    Participant

Don’t quote me on it but I believe the £400M is on the lounge refurbishments and soft product – catering, furnishings, equipment etc etc. The new product DOES look great – in a workshop of course. Whether BA will stay the distance instead of look for areas they can cut will yet to be seen.

Apparently Alex Cruz is VERY keen to get the new seat out ASAP.

It’s so ironic – it’s as if the decline in satisfaction with Club World has caught the leadership team by surprise and they are desperately trying to reverse it. It’s something we have been feeding back (as well as customers) for YEARS.

I think there will be little further investment in First Class. I think this product will shrink and shrink until it is on far fewer aircraft than current.

World Traveller Plus is also apparently in line for some improvements.

But WT – hmmmm. I’m told the product is ‘being looked at’ and that any changes are likely to be a further downgrade. IMHO I think eventually BA will go Norwegian-esque in WT at least across the atlantic.

BOB is continuing to cause chaos. Not so much the concept of people having to pay for it but more the botched release it has had. There was never ONE live trial flight. The equipment is failing. Contactless which the short haul crew were assured would be offered still hasn’t gone live. WHY the company didn’t phase in introduction (ie domestic routes for a few months) to iron out any glitches god only knows. The biggest bugbear however is the lack of food being loaded and people nor even being able to get their hands on a BLT if they are prepared to pay for it. On a long flight (say LHR-ATH) this is a joke. The ‘we are initially going to massively over cater’ mantra that the management were sprouting when crew asked this VERY question about how much food would be loaded to not run out has obviously been forgotten.

**Personal opinions only**

YellowBelly
    Participant

So last week I travelled in Club World from Heathrow T5 to Rio de Janeiro. I only take a few CW flights a year, more usually sitting in WT+ cabin and I tend to use BA due to their direct services to both North and South America.
    I have to report that it was the best CW service I have experienced for many years even though the hard product was the standard one.

The plane was a Boeing 777-200 but the interior appeared well maintained (for a change) and clean and everything around my seat worked as expected. Pre-flight drinks were served and menus distributed and we took off roughly on time given the usual queuing for the runway at Heathrow. Once airborne the (poor) amenity bags were handed out along with hot towels and I was greeted by the CSD as an Executive Club Gold member. Two drinks trolley services followed along with orders for lunch. The food was really very good with a nice selection and I was not aware of anyone who did not get their first choice. I have attached the menu. Then the duty free run.

As this is an eleven hour flight a light meal was served around 90 minutes before landing but this was again very good with hot options and the quantity of food was probably too much (don’t tell Mr Cruz!). Menu attached.

Immigration cards were distributed before landing and we arrived on time. The CSD and crew were excellent and if BA could offer this level of service on all Club World flights they would have a lot less complaints.

Lunch menu

Light meal

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you for the review YellowBelly. Glad to see at least one positive review of BA CW. Could it just be the crew or is it because of a difference in service on the ultra long hauls as is the case with most other carriers?

BT: Thought I should report that the link to the light meal menu is not working.

openfly
    Participant

@Yellowbelly.
    Good to hear a solid enthusiastic report.
    Maybe the reason that the service was near perfect was that the GIG flights are still operated by Legacy cabin crews, with all their experience, professionalism and knowledge of the product.

GreenScot
    Participant

Do you think they have people in silly chef hats too? Maybe they could wear the cloth amenities bags on their heads instead. I have a few at home doing nothing I can hand back.

Just wish they could do something about handing/shoving the tray across the partition but we have to wait for the new seats I guess.

YellowBelly
    Participant

openfly. Yes definitely Legacy cabin crew on this flight.

Maybe we should open a new thread and try to list the BA long haul flights that still have Legacy crew so we know what to expect?

openfly
    Participant

@yellowbelly.
    Good idea, but somebody from Mixed Fllet will protest that it is unfair and complain to Brussels!!

747foreverforus
    Participant

The trouble with BA these days is the inconsistency of the service, recently flights with legacy crew have been dreadful, likewise so has mixed fleet, but on several flights both have been really good!!! the real issue is the downgrading of service by Alex Cruz, Wilie Walsh and their cost cutting agenda, flying to Chennai in 2 weeks in club, no idea what to expect – aiming low so maybe will be surprised!
    No idea if it’s legacy or mixed. BOB On short haul is dreadful, it beggars belief that a major company like BA did not try this before going live, but then of course I am sure that the marketing bods will declare it a success, as they have not had any negative feedback, shame they don’t speak to the crew!

rferguson
    Participant

747foreverus – MAA is on a three class 787. It’s two hot meals in each direction. Lunch and dinner ex LHR and the reverse on the return ex MAA. Lunch is the usual choice of two starters and four mains – typically a choice of lamb shoulder, a local southern indian Veg and non Veg option or a main course salad. Breakfast mains are a choice of the usual english, a southern indian breakfast or continental cold plate.

The flight is crewed by a mix of LHR Legacy crew and MAA based crew. There are eight cabin crew in total. Depending on the day of departure there will be a split of 6/2 or 5/3 legacy/MAA based crew.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls