Impact of Coronavirus on Air Travel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 313 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Alex Cruz just emailed us to say he would not take a salary for the next two months.

But whether it’s Alex Cruz, Tim Clarke or whoever I don’t think one, two, three months of no salary will put much of a dent in their lifestyles.

Contrast this with a lot of airline workers that are already on near minimum wage (like Mixed Fleet).

Emirates have been told they will receive a pay cut of 25% whilst not flying. Considering they don’t have rent or mortgages to pay (provided by EK) this is not a bad result for them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Some ‘passenger’ aircraft are operating primarily as freighters as there is a lack available freighter aircraft in some ports.
    Newer larger Airbusse’s like the A350 and the Boeing 777s have high ‘belly freight’ capacity and can carry enough high value belly freight to make some flights viable without, or with few pax. i.e. live lobsters, seafood high end perishables etc from say New Zealand to say Japan, China, and HK.

Anecdotally I am told that there are flights of this nature from several countries including the U.K. and that CX operates several such flights from out ports via its HK hub.

TominScotland
    Participant

At this difficult time, perhaps we need to be careful about the information we believe and share. I don’t know if this is any truer that that already posted but does paint a slightly different picture.

Alex Cruz takes a pay cut
    Last week I talked about the BA pilots taking a pay cut of around 50% in this article and the lack of any sign of Alex Cruz doing anything in solidarity. Well, he must of read my article (haha, I think not) as he has just announced he will take no salary for 2 months. Willie Walsh has said he will take a 20% pay cut. In his latest email, he comes across far more sympathetic to BA staff which I am glad to see. Being a former manager myself, I have always believed in leading by example so it is good to see Alex taking one for the team as well.

NEWS: Alex Cruz takes a pay cut, Emirates update, What are online travel agents, booking sites, BA cars and Air BnBs policy for cancelling/refunds?

2 users thanked author for this post.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=994161][/postquote]

“Belly freight”. Very good.

capetonianm
    Participant

I also saw this morning that the Cross that BA has to bear has taken a pay cut. He might have saved some face by thinking through how his initial refusal to do so would look to his staff and customers, but I think he’s too arrogant and thick skinned to care and probably sees himself as some sort of Messiah. He may have had pressure brought to bear from his superiors.

How magnanimous to now reverse his initial stance and take a cut for a few months. I suppose too little and too late is better than nothing, but he has done himself and his image further harm.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hong Kong has just closed its borders to all incoming and outgoing tourists and transit passengers for the next 14 days.
    Arrivals from Macau and Taiwan are exempt but have to go to 14 days government quarantine.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3076426/hong-kong-ban-all-tourists-battle-coronavirus-spread

SimonS1
    Participant

So Alejandro has been shamed into action then. Hey ho.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I realise this link is from the Daily Mail, but it is dated today:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8139529/Flights-Italy-Iran-China-landing-Britain-despite-UK-coronavirus-lockdown.html

If this is even half true, what the ***K (excuse the language) are our politicians playing at – worried (QUITE RIGHTLY) about people enjoying the great outside and moving to holiday homes, but at the same time allowing passengers to enter the UK from Rome, Tehran, Beijing, apparently without any form of checking.. Again, if true, this is stupidity at an extremely level.

HKG seem to have it right, the UK also needs to CLOSE ITS BORDERS to all passenger traffic.. asap

Repatriation flights yes, otherwise our borders should also be closed.

3 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=994207]Repatriation flights yes, otherwise our borders should also be closed.[/quote]

What about Eurostar / Getlink (Eurotunnel) / international ferry services etc ?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Alex – if the Government are recommending us to remain indoors unless absolutely necessary, I can not understand why any of our borders remain open for passengers to move freely in and out of the country and unchecked.

6 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sorry to say Boris is starting to look quite weak and ineffective.

capetonianm
    Participant

[postquote quote=994236][/postquote]
    I am glad it’s not just me that thinks so. Instead of ‘advice’ being given, and people being able to flout it with impunity, there should be new laws passed through under emergency powers, and enforced by police and army.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=994237][/postquote]

Sorry to say I don’t think the business travel community is covering itself in glory. Someone saying on another forum earlier that BA was “doing a good job in keeping much of the European network running”.

I would have thought by now apart from humanitarian activity it should have been shut down.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

It’s time for the Government to get tough. The “Sargeant Wilson” approach isn’t getting the message across (for those not familiar, please watch some Dad’s Army episodes).

Something else to be banned. Junk mail, either hand delivered or through the post. Earlier this afternoon, my doorbell rang. Wasn’t expecting anyone so didn’t answer. Then heard letterbox opening, found leaflets from a well-known home improvement company. Inside was a note about how they are protecting their customers and themselves. The slogan “Personal service without personal contact” used to supposedly show how they care. Obviously, they and their sales people don’t understand the meaning of social distancing!

K1ngston
    Participant

Seen on the news this morning SIA closing down 96% of its capacity all staff asked to take unpaid leave or pay cuts to sustain them through these tough times, this was inevitable after the Singaporean Government rightly closed down even transiting through Changi! Wild times…..

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 313 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls