IHG credit card stopping

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

So I have an IHG mastercard issued by Creation in the UK. They have just written to say that their relationship with IHG is stopping on 27 June. Great shame as I loved the card. For £99 a year I got a free night voucher plus so many points that I qualified for Top Tier in IHG one Rewards. Any suggestions on what to replace it with. I have a BA Amex but can’t see anyone else doing an IHG card at the moment?

1 user thanked author for this post.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Unfortunately I’m not aware of one, though the IHG one was a little unique in I think spend on the card counted towards status – which isn’t always the case.
    Sadly most hotel credit cards are US focussed, so unless you have US credit and an address you may find it difficult to access.
    Marriott have a UK Amex, and something like an Amex Plat allows you to transfer points to other travel related programmes. Plus it grants access to Hilton Gold.

JD_84
    Participant

Disappointing to see this happen, going to be sad to see the cared go, but not Creation. I have managed to retain Spire Elite/Diamond for a long time through this card and IHG has been my chain of choice as have good negotiated rates through work. I guess the Ambassador membership will become a bit more valuable in 2024.

Creation has been a pain in the backside though, their IT is terrible, the customer service is worse.

GBAIR72
    Participant

I am gutted about this. It really helped me maintain Diamond status some years.
    There is now no decent credit card for hotels in UK

ASK1945
    Participant

I am also disappointed with this (I received the same email earlier today). I have the free Mastercard.

However, I use my Black BA Amex card for 90% of my purchases, so it’s not the absolute disaster for me that others have reported.

huey
    Participant

IHG Rewards is such an odd duck. IHG seems to have policies that are set up just to annoy their members. For example, you receive upgrades to executive floors but no access to the lounge.

But I can’t see them being so lame as to exclude the Brits from an affinity credit card … an excellent path to earning bonus points. That would see their biggest users move to another hotel chain. I suspect a new CC issuer will be along shortly.

ASK1945
    Participant

huey: Marriott are aggressively marketing their Amex tie up at the moment.

huey
    Participant

[postquote quote=1363334]

But Marriott is a real disaster. Like American Airlines, they can’t seem to do much right. In my experience, Hilton is the only other chain that makes sense to this points & miles junkie. Hilton’s big enough, with a large family of different types of hotels. Like IHG, where you can earn your points at Holiday Inns and spend them at InterContinentals. The HHonors AmEx is just wonderful for earning HH points. Of course, the HH redemption rates make your eyes water, but there are all kinds of ways around that.

ASK1945
    Participant

huey: you asked a question and I answered it. I didn’t make a recommendation, just provided a fact.

huey
    Participant

My response was for others who might not be aware of the current situation. Sorry to bother you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls