Iguazu Falls, Argentina

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

I am addressing this question to this wonderful repository https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/iguazu-falls-argentina/ of travel advice – particularly to any member with a UK passport

, who has actually been to the Falls on the Argentinian side, and made a day trip across to the Brazilian side – returning to Argentina without going on elsewhere in Brazil.

Did you need a Brazilian Visitor’s visa?

The website of the Brazilian Consulate in London has reams of information, but is totally unhelpful.

A Google search has produced conflicting information.

So, have any of you other Brits crossed on a regular tour, as opposed to a local bus, for the day recently and not needed a visa?

JollyFlyer
    Participant

I am a UK passport holder and make regular trips to Brazil to visit my brother as he lives there permanently, you do not need to a visa to visit Brazil as a tourist.
    On my trip in 2016 I flew into EZE (Buenos Aires Airport outside the city) and the next day flew out of AEP (Buenos Aires Airport very close to the city centre) to IGR the Iguazu Falls airport in Argentina. I then took a taxi to a hotel on the Brazilian side. A day later I joined an organised group and went for a day trip to the Argentinian side of the falls, a day later we left to travel to Uruguay and crossed one last time into Argentina. In all I crossed the border 4 times in 3 days and got a lot of stamps in my passport. At no time was this questioned though there was a lot of form filling.
    In 2018 my parents went to visit the falls and crossed the border twice in a day to visit the Argentinian side of the falls, again, there was a lot of form filling but no visa is required.

Enjoy your trip, take lots of pictures and enjoy seeing the falls from each country.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

GB passport holders do not need a visa for BR or AR for private trips up to 90 days.

I have travelled to and between both countries as well as Uruguay and Paraguay (admittedly not recently) on a GB passport and never needed a visa for any of the 4 countries.

I assume, but cannot guarantee, that you would not need need a visa to do a day trip between the AR side of the falls to BR and back to AR.
    There would be no logic in not needing one for a 90 day trip but needing one for a day trip!

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Hi ASK1945,

I’ve been, stayed on the Argentinian side and passed over the bridge to Brazil (the bridges are great, each side painted in the colours of the flag) you’ll be stamped out of Argentina, then into Brazil. I then ‘left’ Brazil to enter Paraguay, then re-entered Brazil, left and re-entered Argentina. The following day did both sides of the falls so had 3 pages of Argentinian and Brazilian stamps – no need for pre-arranged Visa – just space in your passport!

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=934933]Hi ASK1945,

I’ve been, stayed on the Argentinian side and passed over the bridge to Brazil (the bridges are great, each side painted in the colours of the flag) you’ll be stamped out of Argentina, then into Brazil. I then ‘left’ Brazil to enter Paraguay, then re-entered Brazil, left and re-entered Argentina. The following day did both sides of the falls so had 3 pages of Argentinian and Brazilian stamps – no need for pre-arranged Visa – just space in your passport![/quote]

I knew that I had wasted my time searching for the answer on Google and that I should have come here in the first instance ! I just thought that it might be a bit off-topic for this forum. Thank you JF, capetonianm and twjs. That was very helpful.

Tom, I looked into crossing into Paraguay also, but I understood that it was very much by using a local bus and hoping that the Paraguay border guards had to be asleep. I might try it.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I hired a taxi driver for the day from Argentina, we drove across the bridge between Argentina and Brazil (he kindly stopped to let me take a photo of the changing colours) but we parked up and walked across the bridge to Paraguay – as traffic is awful and can take hours. Paraguay didn’t even bother to check I had a passport let alone attempt to stamp it! Ciudade del Este was interesting – walked around a street market which was selling live ammunition and hand grenades, so didn’t stick around and headed back to Brazil which was far more civilised!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

No problems when I visited a few years back with a short walk over the bridge between the two checkpoints…

maxgeorge
    Participant

There is (or was) also a ferry from the Paraguayan side direct to the Argentine side. Not only is it a scenic traffic jam free alternative, way down in the gorge beneath the bridge, but it enables you to bypass Brasilian customs checks which can be intensive. Unsurprisingly so, given the nature of some Paraguayan exports.

Jetcruiser
    Participant

Regardless on how you get to Iguazu Falls, I highly recommend that you wear long pants/sleeves and use a LOT of bug spray. We stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort (now a Melia) and a few friends that were travelling with me came home with a free gift…a BOT FLY! You do not realize it until a few weeks later once it starts to develop!

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/flies/human_bot_fly.htm

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=935120]Regardless on how you get to Iguazu Falls, I highly recommend that you wear long pants/sleeves and use a LOT of bug spray. We stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort (now a Melia) and a few friends that were travelling with me came home with a free gift…a BOT FLY! You do not realize it until a few weeks later once it starts to develop!

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/flies/human_bot_fly.htm[/quote]

Thank you to all for your very detailed and useful advice – especially from Jetcruiser about how to avoid picking up some unwanted duty-free packages.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

You reminded me of all the horrible bites – I was literally covered in bites wherever I had skin on show! Didn’t notice on the time but did on the long flight from EZE – FRA!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls