Identification

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

ReprievedSoul
    Participant

Since when was it necessary to have a passport for id on internal UK flights (NI excepted due to open border with Eire)?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2891027/Grandmother-85-stranded-Stansted-Airport-Ryanair-refuses-bus-pass-ID-despite-accepting-outbound-flight.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I know its the Daily Mail – but – This story is another reason why airport security needs to be revamped and standardised.. and be under a Government department that is fully accountable.

At least Ryan Air tried to correct the situation after the event……

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Some/all LCCs have insisted on photo ID (for European domestic passengers) for a number of years.

Here’s what Ryanair says:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions/regulations-traveldocumentation/

Here’s what Easyjet stipulates in the case of UK domestic flights:

http://corporate.easyjet.com/latest-news-archive/news-year-2004/16-03-04-en.aspx?sc_lang=en

Here are Flybe’s requirements:

http://www.flybe.com/checkin/id-requirements.htm

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Consideration needs to be given whether the airport security, should be the responsibility of:

*Airlines

*Airport Authorities

*Central agency

What you have shown AMW, is that everyone is insisting doing it “their way” – with absolutely no accountability….

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I completely agree, Martyn. And then we have the situation where conventional carriers may not require any photo ID at all for European domestic flights.

esselle
    Participant

I am not sure that photo ID has anything to do with airport security. It is just a way of a carrier having proof that you are who you say you are.

The routine checks that we have to submit to in any UK airport are proscribed by the Home Office, either through the DFT or Border Control. These are then implemented by each airport in a way that best suits them (eg by directly employing staff or using a contractor), and they are of course a minimum standard.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am in the pro ID card camp – so have no problem about the documents needed to travel.

My issue is that airport security can not / should not be left in the hands of goons and idiots who cause situations as the one highlighted in this thread.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Two comments.

1. As Alex says “…conventional carriers may not require any photo ID at all for European domestic flights”. If it is possible on mainstream airlines between major European mainland cities (as indeed it is) why are many British-Isles based locos so petty and demanding?

2. I am with you, Martyn, on ID cards. It would not be a disaster – and might be very convenient – for the British to have ID cards. It would save all that passport plus utility bill malarkey when you are making a purchase where it is reasonale to have to establish your identity. However, these should be very simple ID cards on the model of most European countries. The idea was wrecked by the Blair and Brown governments by trying to create ID cards full of biometric information, at a ludicrous expense.

ReprievedSoul
    Participant

Having started the thread, I’m pleased by the quality of the outcome and responses.

It is interesting, however, to see how the underlying issue is subsumed by more general issues.

I mean :

1. Ryanair should not be able to cut costs (admirable) by inadequate employment practice (lack of training, use of low-quality untrained unbadged subcontractor staff)

2. there is an issue of a discrepancy between 2 airports, both in UK and a possibility of “misunderstanding” (sic, see 1 above) the significance of ‘devolved powers’. Travel is ‘devolved’, but national security is not. For Ryan to disallow a traveller on a RETURN leg internal flight is frankly unbelievable. Photo id is good, and face and name should match. Simple. As they say, “you couldn’t make it up”

Jewel1411
    Participant

ID is required for domestic flights as tickets are non-transferable. As most tickets nowadays have so many restrictions with charges for any changes, airlines want to make sure the named person on the ticket is the one travelling.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Jewel1411
    See what I noted above. ID is advisable, but not compulsory, when flying within the UK with some conventional airlines. It is the LCCs listed above which insist on it within the UK.

julmops
    Participant

I’m a huge fan of the ID card … It’s a common thing in most other European countries and makes so much sense … I was born in Switzerland and came to the UK 15 years ago … Using my Swiss ID card most times I’m travelling in Europe unless the e-passport gates aren’t too busy.
    There should be one way for all airlines, agreed by the Ministry of Transport (if there’s such a thing ?) and no more of those issues would happen.

MrMichael
    Participant

@repreivedsoul, Ryanair absolutely have the right to employ people with low skills. That is how LoCo’s work…..low skills = low wages = low fares. You get what you pay for!

ReprievedSoul
    Participant

lowskills, ok, but skill level must match required competence level for the Job Description. And, equally, the employee must restrict their activity to things in which they are Competent. Possibly asking for assistance rather than exceeding their ability.

However, reading a name and looking at a face on an id is not hard.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls