Iberia’s Buenos Aires-Madrid service – what aircraft and does it have fully-flat seating?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

oldalbanian
    Participant

Even after reading other posts on here I’m confused. Iberia says it flies an A340-500 on this route, but that isn’t on their planes list, and I can’t see where to look for the 342/343 etc codes. Does anyone know what plane they actually fly, and crucially whether it is flat bed or angle flat seats?

fatbear
    Participant

Interesting question – the flight tracking websites advise that Iberia are flying A340-600s on this route at the moment

I can’t say whether they have flat bed or angle flat seats though

ghlotus
    Participant

So far as I know, Iberia flies A340-600 to Buenos Aires. Most of these planes have not yet been upgraded with the new flat-bed seats. More than half of their A330s have been upgraded, and the new seats are excellent! Similar to CX business class.

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

All of Iberia’ s A330 are fairly new and all have the new Business Plus lie flat seats. Many of the A340 have been upgraded. MAD-EZE is one of their prime routes and I am surprised they are using any aircraft that do not have the lie flats. Saying that however, the older business plus does offer more space.

javitxu_8
    Participant

Hi,

When the plane is an A340-500 it means it’s the old A340-600 with the new cabin. If it says it’s the A340-600, bad luck. You’d be flying with the old plane and the old cabin. Another tip to know if you get the new cabin on the old A340’s: the economy cabin starts on row 14.

Safe travels!

Javi

goalie11
    Participant

@javitxu

I thought the 600 variant was a longer aircraft than the 500, so how can they refit the interior of a 600 and call it a 500?

Stratocruiser
    Participant

Iberia have never owned any A340-500s.
    The -500 version is the ultra long range variant.
    I guess this must be Iberia’s own (incorrect) designation for an upgraded 340-600….confusing !

oldalbanian
    Participant

I seem to have set an interesting hare running! Thanks for all your contributions. In the end I found a ridiculously cheap Air France flight where the relatively small premium is worth it even for angle-flat rather than beds

javitxu_8
    Participant

Exactly. It’s just the code which is wrong.

The aircraft is the same. It’s the old one with the new cabin.

LucaForna
    Participant

Flew EZE-MAD a couple of times during the past year in J and I can confirm that (thank God) I found the new cabin in all the four flights!

OpenSky
    Participant

Seat Guru says retrofitted Biz and Eco class with Biz flat-bed seating

icenspice
    Participant

It appears I will be flying on an A342 from Madrid to Central America next week. I was redirected from BA.com to Iberia’s website in order to pick a seat. The Business cabin is configured 2-2-2 over 4 rows. Whether it is a new or old cabin, I am looking forward to the flight!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Icenspice

The 342 will be the old product. This thread has all the details on the codes and IB products.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/Madrid-Sao-Paulo#postn_136145

icenspice
    Participant

Thanks Tim

I didn’t think IB had A342s in its fleet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller UK September 2023 edition
Business Traveller UK September 2023 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls