Iberia is a disaster- you have been warned

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

• Sparepocket
    Participant

Having grown up in Nigeria,I recollect with a mixture of fondness, and sacharine nostalgia tinged with a sprinkling of surreal farce, the nature of air travel in that country in the 1970s.
    Spontaneous outbreaks of minor, low-intensity riots were common and if you got to your destination at the scheduled arrival time and managed to get all your bags then you were indeed lucky!
    Back to the present day…is WW aware of the antipathy Iberia raises in passengers?

Potakas
    Participant

Sparepocket,

again wrong… The question should have been: Is Iberia aware of the antipathy WW raises in CCs?
    😀

I think that riots are a usual phenomenon in Spain, as it is in many Mediterranean countries. That’s why i am surprised about the no-fly list. Could this be a new policy from IAG ?

Sparepocket
    Participant

BA/Iberia are certainly on MY ‘no-fly’ list!:o)

Potakas
    Participant

I fly mostly with BA and I am also a WW supporter but this is on others topic subject,

I want to fly with Iberia but every time i check for a destination they are much more expensive than BA and if you also consider that i should pay for a meal on economy (intra-europe)…

Also their Business class is very expensive (at least to ATH) usually over 1200 euros when with BA is 550 pounds. (both of them restricted)

apmeredith
    Participant

You’ve got me worried now! I have a return flight LHR-MAD next week on IB and this is my first experience of the airline.

Like Julian, I booked through Iberia.com and received an email back stating that it was not a confirmation and that I would receive a second email. Again, no second email received!

Better get off now and check with my credit card company and Iberia!

jonathanmiller
    Participant

They are very slow at it (it is important to get the second one, since that is the one which bears the ticket number – the other is merely a confirmation of the reservation). I booked AGP-MAD-PMI yesterday to fly today. Didn’t get the confirmation. Called …and got two emails! Anyway, I am now in Palma – so it worked, after a fashion. Definitely not smooth or worry-free though!

apmeredith
    Participant

Called Iberia, got an email immediately with E-Ticket number. Lets hope all else goes well with the trip.

jonathanmiller
    Participant

Pleased for you apm.Have as good a flight as may be possible! Jonathan

RichardBowen
    Participant

I have filled in the online complaint form for Iberia but got a very sub standard reply and want to send it on or back to someone at Iberia. Does anyone have an email address or contact that actually works?!!!!!

HBHLondon
    Participant

Good luck. I once made a complain about them after a flight from Bogota to London via Madrid and the reply I got left me wondering whether they have any customer service or weather they care at all. The letter stated they could not deal with my complain because I had not travelled with them. I sent the copy of my ticket but never heard from them again.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

Hi Richard – you will be very lucky to get a reply from them – i tried and tried regarding a cancelled flight that was not in accordance to EU cancellation rerouting agreement – in the end i took them to an EU compensation claim resulting in a fine against them
    They only seem to respond to legal letters

Good Luck

RichardBowen
    Participant

LOL thanks I am getting that impression!!!

capetonianm
    Participant

Shabby, dirty, cramped ‘planes, poor timekeeping, and the rudest staff, scruffy and insolent, both on the ground and in the air that I’ve encountered in 30 years of short and longhaul flying. I lived in Spain and speak Spanish, so I have a wide range of experience with them and other carriers. Their employees seem to be specially trained to make every part of the experience as miserable as possible. I should add that this is by no means typically Spanish, and I suspect that Iberia has a training academy to instil the very un-Spanish qualities of nastiness and rudeness into its staff.

Add to that, that when anything goes wrong, and you’re lucky if it doesn’t, it is dealt with in the worst possible way. Their customer relations department is, by its own admission, too busy to answer complaints within an acceptable time scale.

They treat passengers who don’t speak Spanish with even more contempt than those who do. When I tried to intervene on behalf of an English speaking family who had missed their connection, the monoglot ticket agent at Madrid Airport told me that they were ‘stupid shits’ (‘unos tontos de mierda’ was the phrase used) for not speaking Spanish.

Most of their cabin crew, particularly on the long hauls to South and Central America, where they have little competition, are bitter and twisted battle-scarred veterans waiting to retire. One gets the impression that the airline is run for the convenience of its staff and their friends travelling on rebated tickets, as GP/ID pax seem to receive vastly preferential treatment even to those paying full Y or J fares.

It is also not unknown for the staff to have a crafty fag (as in smoke!) in the galley during the night on long flights. I was threatened with legal action and then when I laughed that off, physical violence, for taking a photograph of this.

Only on routes such as the Barcelona/Madrid shuttle where they have real competition do they offer reasonable service. Their Air Nostrum subsidiary is also good, but how an airline like British Airways, which for all its faults does not lack in professionalism, can be in an alliance/partnership with Iberia is beyond me.

You will find on many long haul routes Iberia are offering fares which are 50% of other carriers, you have to ask yourself why. This airline is a disgrace to a proud and splendid nation, and I know most Spanish people are ashamed of their national carrier.

Just look on http://www.airlinequality.com where you will see that around 80% of the comments are scathing.

Iberia has been on my no-fly list for many years but I still have bad memories of the many flights I had to make with them due to either no alternative or company policy.

openfly
    Participant

Capeonian…..

That is your opinion.

My opinion, having flown Business Plus many times, is that IB service is superb! Their cabin crew are elegant, smart and charming. The service is an example to many other national airlines. I feel that IAG could learn a lot
    The atmosphere is different. It is Spanish. At times it is laid back. Not once in dozens of flights have I found it necessary to complain.

On short-haul business class, the upgraded hot meal is a delight offered with quality Spanish wines.

My opinion is that IB are OK….

RichHI1
    Participant

My experience is Longhaul good shorthaul not so much. All my travel has been business with longhauls to MEX and GRU. I liked the service, I found the food and wine good and I love the daylgiht outbound flights (I hate the BA redeyed execept to GIG). I did not like the A340 equipment and the need to change at MAD. That said the Iberia Terminal in MAD is much more pleasant then T5 or T4 or T3 or T1 at LHR. ALso at MAD there is need to line up for security on Transfers. So short transfer times are possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls