IATA’s Willie Walsh upbeat about HK’s international hub status

Back to Forum
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Willie Walsh, director general of IATA,said on Tuesday that he went from being pessimistic to optimistic over Hong Kong’s ability to recover its position as one of the world’s major aviation hubs by year end after seeing the speed with which Cathay Pacific Airways rebuilt itself.

Walsh pointed out that passenger recovery had been accelerating, and Hong Kong had “the potential to get there by the end of this year”

“Hong Kong was probably the most affected major hub airport, and Cathay the most affected major hub airline … So it’s been a tough job for Hong Kong, much tougher than I think in other parts of the world.”

“restarting their operations from zero is much more complex than other airlines have faced.So I remain optimistic now that Hong Kong can fully recover its position.

“So I’ve been impressed with the way Hong Kong has recovered and we (at IATA) remain optimistic that they can recover their position as an important major passenger hub by year end.” (while also retaining their position as the world’s busiest cargo airport)

WWs quotes are part taken from a SCMP report published today.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls