IanFromHKG

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

I have not seen Ian post now for some months.
    I and I suspect others miss his interesting and knowledgeable posts and views. (We disagreed re Hong Kong most of the time but agreed on most other subjects)
    As I recall Ian moved from Hong Kong to if i recall correctly London.

Its time you posted again Ian !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting thread – I was wondering what happened to:

Canucklad – whom has not posted for a long time

The other poster who always created wonderful reviews was uggylovestravel (or a similar sounding name)

Would I recommend both return – Yes !

6 users thanked author for this post.

Woodpecker
    Participant

I believe he was a lawyer/solicitor by profession, and a long time resident here. I suspect he is enjoying his much deserved retirement with his travels significantly reduced.

After being away for so long, returning to the UK is as much a mental adjustment as physical, we wish him well. Hoping to see his contributions again too.

3 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

What about VK? 🙂 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.

DanielRawson
    Participant

I’m always more an observer than a poster but the mystery of VintageKrug will always remain for me!

DanielRawson
    Participant

@faroflyer you beat me by less than 1 minute!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Martyn,

I wouldn’t be surprised if Uggy is now a Youtuber of some kind. There are a lot of good travel reviewers on YouTube these days and some have the same style as Uggy.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I’m here! Well, when I say here – I have moved not to the UK but to Gibraltar, and semi-retirement. Woodpecker is right, I am indeed a lawyer (and lived in HK for 30 years) and interestingly, on the basis of just one throwaway line on LinkedIn (moving to Gibraltar, more news to follow, that sort of thing) I have been approached by two law firms to do some occasional work; and I still do a little work for my old firm in HKG as well. So I am keeping my hand in, but not letting work impinge on my time too much! Moving to Gibraltar was definitely an adjustment, but I think it has been easier than the UK would have been, not least because the weather is better but also because it is so friendly, southern Spain and the Med are on our doorstep, and to cap it off we shortly expect to take delivery of a rather nice boat which we will use to cruise the region and the Med (and ultimately, perhaps, the Aegean/Adriatic/all parts East of here).

Apart from regional touring by car (we bought a 3-year old Range Rover and I doubled its mileage in three months!) we have done very little travel which explains my silence – that and the fact that we’ve been quite busy and also spent a good wee while recovering from spine surgery (much better now, I should add)! I am, however, undertaking a bit of a marathon next month (GIB to LHR to HKG, then via BKK to HKT, back to HKG, back again via BKK to HKT, then HKT to HKG and on to LHR, and finally back to Gib) and will – if all goes well – experience the new BA Club Suite which I am looking forward to! The Memsahib, meanwhile, is trying a different routing and doing all the long-haul on QR, lucky devil.

I was actually thinking of posting on here anyway and will start a new thread shortly (about OneAdaptr and how bloody useless they are); and was also talking about this forum yesterday as I booked my marathon trip through a delightful chap here in Gib who is a colleague of Tim F, the travel counsellor who is well known to many of you, and mentioned that Tim and I had corresponded but never actually met.

Thanks to cwoodward for starting the thread and Martyn for alerting me to it; and best wishes to you all!

IanFromHKG (I should probably update that, but perhaps another day…)

cwoodward
    Participant

VK is best forgotten in my view. Amusing but it became a little much in the end perhaps. Some say that they met him but I am not convinced. Others proclaim that he was taking the P—. For myself I thought it all a little sad.

8 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1347566]

In a slightly masochistic way I used to quite enjoy reading VK’s somewhat strident posts.

He didn’t sound a very pleasant individual, but in the same way as shouting at Jeremy Vine on the radio can be fun, so too could laughing out loud at some of his drivel.

4 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1347579]

Yes, he caused a certain morbid fascination. Funnily enough I think my reply to him on a particular thread – in which I just about managed to avoid using the word “hypocrite” – was the last one on any of the threads he was active on before he was summarily given the Order of the Boot.

Rumour has it he then appeared on FlyerTalk as “oscietra”, and having read some of the threads with that handle around that time it certainly seemed plausible.

6 users thanked author for this post.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Lovely to hear you are happily settled in Gibraltar Ian. I am sure you will enjoy the new BA Club suite, its certainly an improvement.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Bearing in mind the misery of so many world issues, I find it heart warming and uplifting to read such caring comments of those who contribute to this forum.

Indeed, VK may not be to everyone’s taste, but they certainly raised the heat in the forum.

stevescoots
    Participant

there is a certain amount of Stockholm syndrome when mentioning he who shall not be named

4 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

I thought VK gave some great travel advice that I definitely benefitted from.

He also held up a mirror to allow you to see the other posters better, Nobody asked him to do that which is probably why he could be irritating at times but the insight gained made it worthwhile.

He’s probably working for some AI chatbot company now helping to train the bots.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls