IAG “in talks” to purchase A350-1000

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Exciting reports coming over the wire this morning that BA might be plumping for the A350:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/01/uk-iag-airbus-idUKBRE9300K620130401

…would be great to see this bundled with an A320neo order.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I like to see BA having a long haul airplane from airbus in addition to the A380. Nice piece of news.

openfly
    Participant

The usual pre-order pressure. Frighten Boeing into thinking BA might go Airbus Ito get the price down on the next 777 order. Cynical…me?

LeTigre
    Participant

This is great news, especially for passengers. The A350 is not a sardine can like the 787 and is significantly more comfortable. Added in to the stats are its efficiency, cargo capacity and long range and this is ideal for BA.

Openfly, this seems more than negotiating to get cheaper Boeing planes, as Boeing offers nothing comparable. Yes, the 777X but that is about 3 years after BA will get the A350, and the 787-10 is too small.

BA will be getting the 777X as well, just a bit later on.

Good choice!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

What I don’t understand is if BA is going to operate the 777X and the 787, why create another fleet, with all the attendant cost of training, maintenance etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I prefer the Airbus types to Boeing, but I don’t see the logic here, as BA could short term lease some 777s to fill the gap until the 777X.

JordanD
    Participant

Could be any number of reasons, FDoS – good deal on overall order, “freebies” (e.g. maintenance discounts, discounts on other planes), right fit for future routes, etc.

Remembering that Cabin Crew can be rostered on multiple types of aircraft maybe BA want to have “Airbus longhaul crew” (380/350) and “Boeing crew” (747/787/777).

Regarding Maintenance – BA Maintenance have long been providers of A380 maintenance at LHR to many airlines (including SQ) and so maybe if that operation sees competitive advantage in offering the maintenance out to other airlines, the net cost to BA to maintain the A350 fleet isn’t that much.

I’m guessing – I’m guessing too that someone else has done the sums to work it out …!

sparkyflier
    Participant

The title of the thread includes IAG, and the contributions have focused on BA, but remember, IAG also includes Iberia, which has many A340s, and the A350 is the logical replacement.

I have read however that the A350s were for both airlines. Remember also that the 77Ws only came into the fleet becuase of 787 delays, and the 350 was always part of the picture, even when the 787 & A380 were ordered.

Having a good variety of aircraft, will help both airlines provide the right aircraft for each route. AF/KL do very well with having many fleet types for their long haul network, whereas BA suffered for not investing in A330, and IB for not having anything smaller than A340 for long haul.

I wonder if some 787s might also be bound for IB?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

sparkyflyer

The title of the Reuters feed is “IAG in talks with Airbus on A350 order for British Airways – WSJ”, which suggests this is independent of anything for IB.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I understand the A350-1000 will be for some BA 744 and IB 340-600 replacements.

There could also be an order for A350-900 which would be BA 722 and IB 340-300 replacements.
    I am sure any order would be for both airlines, but guess we will find out in the next few days.

Le Tigre you mentioned the A350 was more comfortable than the 787 “sardine can”. Is the aircraft much wider? And if it is, might this tempt the operators to go 10 across on the 350? Hopefully not however!

Now that I know BA are going for 9 across in Y and 7 across in J, I am not excited about flying it, indeed will probably avoid it. I friend of mine tried the ET 787 in Y and was happy to breath out at the end! 7 across in Y+ does seem attractive and competitive however.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Couldn’t BA stick to real planes such as B747s and B777s and not buying those flying toys called Airbus? I’d be really annoyed if BA was to buy this thing called A350…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Sparky

A350-900 – cabin width 18ft 5 in (5.61 m)

B787 – maximum 18 ft (5.49 m)

B777 – 19 ft 3 in (5.86 m)

I’d say that 10 across (mercifully) is not on.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Many thanks for that FDos, intersting information you have found there. I wonder what most airlines will do in J, 6 or 7 across?

Swissdiver I generally prefer the A330/340 over 777 as seating and aisle access is superior in both J and Y. Also it it me or is the 777 a bit noisier?

I must say that an A340-300 takes an eternity to get to cruising altitude, but the 330 with its two engines does not seem to have the same problem.

767 remains my favourite however!

Swissdiver
    Participant

sparkyflyer,
    B747s, upper deck is by far my favourite. And I hate A330s for all sorts of reasons I described elsewhere on this forum…

Shanwick1249
    Participant

Openfly
    Well, we’ll see – but right now Boeing has nothing to offer that comes close to the A350-1000. The 777X is still only brave talk, years from being real and getting further away not closer. Cathay’s decision to go for the -1000 last year was a big thumbs up for the A350 after a few years in the wilderness and a pointer to more OneWorld orders. I think IAG’s interest in the A350 is more than a negotiating tactic.

Swissdiver
    The 747 is gone and it’s not coming back. The A330 has been outselling the 777 for years now. It’s time to move on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls