IAG Capital Markets Day 2018

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and more on the A350…

long-haul

4 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

Thanks Tom, interesting.

The ‘grow – seat count’ for CW and WTP seems to tie in with what a friend working on the A350 project tells me. HUGE CW cabin, HUGE WTP cabin, small WT cabin.

I wonder when they will publicly release a ‘glimpse’ of the new CW seats? Considering the first aircraft will arrive fitted with them in around eight months time. Most airlines do a media blitz way in advance of that. LH has already released what they will have as their new business class – starting 2020!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

From what I heard they will start releasing details Q1…

The new CW will be retrofitted on the existing long haul fleet (apart from B747s)

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Around the same time that Virgin will start releasing details of its new Upper Class on the A350-1000…

Virgin Atlantic’s A350-1000s will have an all-new Upper Class seat product

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=903109]The new CW will be retrofitted on the existing long haul fleet (apart from B747s)[/quote]

And the 747s are going to be around for a while (despite today’s high fuel prices).

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/iag-verwacht-meer-winst-en-houdt-boeing-747s-langer-in-vloot?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=903112]Around the same time that Virgin will start releasing details of its new Upper Class on the A350-1000…

Virgin Atlantic’s A350-1000s will have an all-new Upper Class seat product

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” src=”https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/11/02/virgin-atlantics-a350-1000s-will-have-all-new-upper-class-seat-products/embed/#?secret=t6uABQh3gr&#8221; data-secret=”t6uABQh3gr” width=”500″ height=”473″ title=”“Virgin Atlantic’s A350-1000s will have an all-new Upper Class seat product” — Business Traveller” frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>[/quote]

Funny that!

Some things never change.

rferguson
    Participant

BA used to be so innovative. So VS had to be even more innovative. BA dropped the ball and VS pretty much just followed – allowing an old generation mediocre hard product.

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

From a quick scan read of all the presentation slides, a few bits of interest to British Airways passengers.

Slide 63, interesting there is no mention of Level having a Gatwick or other UK base. There was rumour a while ago that they might bring Level to Gatwick as a brand to compete with Norwegian. Of course that could still happen in the longer term future.

Slide 107: BA Future expansion to Asia-Pacific, Africa and LACAR.

Slide 108: They see the A350 as the replacement to their B747 fleet.

Slide 109: I assume the bullet points under “Gatwick expansion” mean some short haul destinations currently served from Heathrow will move to Gatwick. But no mention of which routes.

Slide 110: Five Gatwick 777 have the new configuration which was published last year. That’s where the Traveller Plus cabin is expanded and Club class reduced. Remaining Gatwick based 777 aircraft to be done by end of 2019.

Slide 113: New club world seat will allow “Gate-to-gate in flight entertainment”. It’s not stated, but I take that to mean no fold out screens. Screen must be fixed in front of passenger eyes. So that rules out some potential cabin layouts.

Slide 114: 2019 catering and other minor improvements to WT Plus.

Slide 116: “Airside upgrade” via App. I assume this means the chance to upgrade cabin for money having already gone through security prior to boarding.

Slide 135: 2019 “On-demand restaurant style dining”. This is in the IAG section of the presentation. Picture shows Aer Lingus cabin crew. So it’s not clear if this will be brand specific or cross all brands.

3 users thanked author for this post.

rferguson
    Participant

FrequentTraveller – re slide 113. Good spot! It does give some clues to what it ISN’T for sure.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=903132]Slide 109: I assume the bullet points under “Gatwick expansion” mean some short haul destinations currently served from Heathrow will move to Gatwick. But no mention of which routes.[/quote]

Some clues here.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/281263/british-airways-s19-italy-spain-network-changes/

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

AMcWhirter: Thanks. That’s a shame the Gatwick to Barcelona route is being discontinued. That might explain why a few weeks ago I noticed for August 2019 Gatwick to Barcelona flights were more expensive then Heathrow to Barcelona.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Can’t resist this crack …

Slide 19 title “IAG in Action”.

Good job someone remembered to add a space to the title …

Flightlevel
    Participant

Presumably all these PR slides are backed by survey results or are they just theory?
    The new CW seats, aisle access, etc. maybe those on the IB A350 which fits the requirement. lt would be practical to buy the same seats for the similar aircraft.
    Good to see B747s continue – BA once said to 2024 – since pilots and pax like them and they must be very low cost now, if not efficient!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The second slide is interesting. To summarise the boxes on the right:
    1. Optimise First: 8/14 seat cabins
    2. CW: Increased seat count, increased floorspace
    3. WTP: Increased seat count, increased floorspace
    4. WT: Increased seat count, “competitive configuration”

Now I think I am right in saying that all BA’s four-class airframes offer 14 seats in First except for the B787-9, which offers 8. Now, even if you take out the “row and a half” which takes you down from 14 seats to 8 in one of the other airframes, I don’t think that gives you a lot more aircraft length to play with. I am guessing 12 feet at most (given that the F seats in the 14-class planes are reverse herringbone and so overlap, and have a stated pitch of 78 inches). And yet with that extra 12 feet they are going to increase the seat count and floorspace of the CW cabin AND increase the seatspace and floorspace of the WTP cabin AND increase the seat count in WT. That WT “competitive configuration” is going to be something to see. And something to avoid…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls