I thought I was going crazy

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• GeorgeJ
    Participant

I am planning to escape the UK lockdown and was planning to drive across Europe, I checked the FCO list and all was well the necessary countries were removed from the restriction to travel. I then happened to look at the exemption to quarantine and one country wasn’t there. I thought it was me and then compared the two lists and there are a lot of differences! As far as I can see (and I have ignored the British, French, Dutch and Danish associated entities)

Exempt from 14 day quarantine but not from FCO restriction
    Fiji
    Mauritius
    Seychelles

Exempt from FCO advice against travel but still have to quarantine
    Estonia
    Latvia
    Slovakia
    Serbia
    Bermuda,
    Canada
    Brunei
    Malaysia
    Thailand
    Singapore

I can almost understand the second of these two differences they might be an amber list or waiting for reciprocity (though plenty of others on both lists dont let us in either). The first list of three just seems daft, we can return without quarantine but are not supposed to go in the first place (they are definitely not major business destinations).
    Schapps and Patel at their best?

1 user thanked author for this post.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

A correction, Serbia is on both lists, it is Slovenia which should be included in its place.
    My apologies to the Serbs

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1002921]The first list of three just seems daft, we can return without quarantine but are not supposed to go in the first place (they are definitely not major business destinations).
    Schapps and Patel at their best?[/quote]

It seems a bit bizarre, but then the whole quarantine thing has been bizarre, all caused because while there was no logical reason to introduce quarantine in June there was a need to appease the “something must be done” brigade who wanted the world shut down.

A month later and the whole thing has thankfully collapsed. Even what is left is a joke….even where quarantine is required, has anyone seen reports of any physical checks being made?

As far as the differences are concerned the only reason I can see is the list is also supposed to cover people coming here as well. So maybe while the FCO thinks Brits should only travel to Mauritius if essential, they don’t see a need to quarantine Mauritians coming here.

2 users thanked author for this post.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

My wife is needed in Sweden to help for a few weeks with small twin boys and (I believe) Sweden is on the UK red list. Similarly (and almost equally deservedly) the UK should be on their red list but does anyone know if they have one? BA have decent flights (LHR/ARN) but have no clue as to what the various rules are. Is there anywhere we can find a clear statement about what quarantine and documentation is involved? To and from the airports will be by train in both cases and this seems to me not to be in quarantine at all. Any information would be helpful as it is difficult to refuse help to grandchildren.

SimonS1
    Participant

As I understand it Sweden is open to UK travellers with no restrictions.

On return anyone entering UK will currently need to isolate for 14 days.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1002924]It seems a bit bizarre, but then the whole quarantine thing has been bizarre, all caused because while there was no logical reason to introduce quarantine in June there was a need to appease the “something must be done” brigade who wanted the world shut down.[/quote]

Just because there is concern about ‘what’ comes into the country doesn’t mean people want the world to shut down. i think quite the opposite is true, people want the world to open up, but safely and with logical thought, neither appears to be apparent in the UK

MartynSinclair
    Participant

..I would go a stage further, a large percentage of the modern world shut down, without any contribution from the UK. Consider all the countries that either have strict border controls, (either closed borders or strict quarantine) – the UK has retained an open border policy throughout, even with “the whole quarantine thing” being bizarre.

UK airlines have continued flying to countries that will not accept UK nationals, throughout the pandemic – keeping the UK open for foreign nationals and repatriating citizens. To therefore suggest there is a brigade of people wanting the world to shut down, appears somewhat an illogical statement.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

Peter,

This link is to the official EU site on opening up, it should give you some help:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/SWE

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1003018]Just because there is concern about ‘what’ comes into the country doesn’t mean people want the world to shut down. i think quite the opposite is true, people want the world to open up, but safely and with logical thought, neither appears to be apparent in the UK[/quote]

Of course my point was that having had an open border model throughout there was no obvious reason to introduce quarantine on 8th June. It was clear at the time it wouldn’t last long (probably no longer than required to allow a semi-dignified U turn) and so it proved.

Preeti Patel has been very quiet this last week or so….perhaps she has taken advantage of the opportunity to travel.

TominScotland
    Participant

[quote quote=1003035]Preeti Patel has been very quiet this last week or so….perhaps she has taken advantage of the opportunity to travel.[/quote]

Maybe to Greece to check out rental properties prior to the letting season? I understand there are good flight connections via Sofia.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Users may find this interactive map helpful, listing restrictions through IATA’s Timatic system (which I believe is the same system used by most international airlines to determine who can travel where and with what visas/passports/etc and is therefore highly likely to determine whether or not an airline will allow you to fly anywhere).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003035]Of course my point was that having had an open border model throughout there was no obvious reason to introduce quarantine on 8th June.[/quote]

If the extent of our border health checks is a bloke shouting at arriving passengers at Heathrow “have you filled your form out” (as reported by our very own GivingupBA), I remain unconvinced the strategy of monitoring who arrives into the UK is nothing more than casual approach. There were many examples of arriving passengers during the UK ‘quarantine’ appearing to have no idea about the quarantine rules.

4 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003271][/postquote]

Of course it’s a complete waste of time….unless you are tracking people and willing to make spot checks it is pointless.

But that is my whole argument, it was pointless, ill designed legislation just to pander to the ‘something must be done’ types and with a view to being withdrawn at earliest credible moment.

Even if it is a bloke collecting forms at least the Government has done something.

BillShiphr
    Participant

It is really crazy, Bro!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls