I remember when… air travel was simpler

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

What memories!

First flight on BEA Vanguard BHX to LHR when I was 11. Returned on Trident, still have flight bulletin from that trip. Longer to drive from BHX to home (15 miles) than the flight took. Domestic arrivals bags collected outside terminal; a “bus shelter” offering some protection from the elements.

Next flight was BHX-GCI-BHX on BEA Viscount. Then came a variety of jets. British Midland B707 to Corfu; severe condensation problem. Airways International Cymru 1-11 on return. For a long time, Air Europe was my “stand out” trip; great food for a package holiday airline.

Ex-boss had worked in aviation, rating Viscount and VC10 as the best he had ever flown on, but agreed with view of the Vanguard. Demise of British aircraft industry came as no surprise to him and he has never forgiven British Government for what they did to TSR2!!

rjhcambs
    Participant

My first solo commercial flight was on a BEA Viscount, Manchester Ringway to Glasgow Renfrew in the mid 1950s. A bit frightening on engine start-up with flames shooting out just by my window but after that I loved the flight. When BEA/BA. started the shuttle services between Scotland and LHR there used to be very cheap student standby fares. Always got on the desired flight. The EDI-LGW route also gave me my first jet flight in a BCAL BAC111. Not knowing much I had a noisy flight sitting at the back next to the engines. I remember being amazed at how much the wings flexed in flight. In those days BCAL also provided a chauffeur service to EDI from Dundee and Kirkcaldy even for student fares!

icenspice
    Participant

Like you Nejohn01, my first flight was from BFS to LHR in May 1982 a month before my 10th birthday on a school trip to Ostend. I don’t remember the aircraft but it definitely wasn’t a B757.

I had very sore ears during the flight and got up to inform my teacher. She told me to dry my eyes and sit down, or words to that effect !!

MrMichael
    Participant

I still remember the thrill of my first ever flight, a B-Cal 1-11 from LGW to Gerona. I was right at the back and rather shocked at the noise as we hurtled down the runway. Not long afterwards I flew a BA Trident and thought (still do) it was an amazing machine.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I recall flying with Laker to NY. We went straight to Gatwick picked up a reservation slip and then paid on the plane after take off. I always wondered what would happen if you didn’t have enough cash?

Rjhcambs,

You conjure up a memory the infamous BAC-111. I had experienced two memorable flights.

My first experience, was an Allegheny YYZ / DCA flight in 1968. The BAC-111 has a maximum cruising altitude of about 7620 metres (25,000 feet). The pilot advised us that there was a huge thunder storm ahead and he would skirt the edges of it since the plane was incapable of flying over it. Almost every pax tossed their cookies. I have yet to experience anything close to the down-droughts and up-droughts since.

My second experience, was another AL ( now AA) YYZ / DCA flight. The flight was pushing back from the gate and the cockpit was starting #1 engine, when all of a sudden there was a very loud explosion and the engine was engulfed in flames. No damage, just fireworks and we continued to DCA.

Needless to say, if I had a choice between a flight on a BAC-111 or a DC-9 – – – the 9 always won every time!

lloydah
    Participant

Reading all this I was reminded to venture into an attic where I found my store of forgotten geek bits. Saved – those card bibs you were made to wear as UMs that held the tickets and info. still got an SAS one. And the paper tickets, I have a BOAC one given by a relative which opens a bit like a fan with about 10 pages, it was a complete RTW trip from the very early 70’s. Pride of place are two Concorde tickets, one used and one blank pristine together with a Concorde car widow sticker. Not sure it made flying simpler but I don’t keep many old boarding cards now.

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls