I constantly lie to get airplane upgrades. Is that unethical?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=735258]I was taught, “two wrongs do not equal a right”.

I use ex Europe fares and hope I am too ill to use the final leg. It is wrong, it is against the airlines T&C’s, and I do not try and defend it. If I do get caught, I will have to accept the consequences and try not to koan about it (too much!).

[/quote]

I was taught ‘do unto others as you would wish them to do to you’.

So I always treat other parties in an honest and open way, until such time as they make it obvious that they are going to behave in bad way, such as by refusing to pay refunds due etc. and then I feel released from the golden rule and able to treat them as they actually treat me.

Being moral is all well and good with other reasonable parties, but there comes a time when they do not deserve it.

Having said that, I would not do anything illegal, even when it may be ethically acceptable.

As to your point about something being wrong because it is against the airline T&C’s, I think that is a very naive point, as it is by no means clear to me that that clause is reasonable or even enforceable – LP quotes a case in the Netherlands in the 1980s, the most recent case I’m aware of was in the German lower courts (thus not a legal precedent) and the airline lost. I would like to see BA take a case to the UK courts to see if the judge found the requirement to use all segments to be fair.

icenspice
    Participant

What is the difference between not turning up for the last leg of an ex-EU trip and buying a cheap return ticket because the o/w fare is too expensive? I certainly don’t see any, and have done so several times.

As for lying to get an upgrade: never have and never will.

4 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Getting back to the original question, lying to gain an advantage over a corporation, who more than likely doesn’t give a damn about you…….

Never lied, but I’ve stretched the truth, not to get an upgrade but a decent seat. Ultimately KLM recognised my Flying Dutchman status and moved me into business!

The moral dilemma used to be……. Is it right for me to use my own experience and knowledge of travelling to “play the game” thus enhancing my travelling enjoyment at the expense of my fellow passengers who aren’t as savvy? .

Nowadays, those same corporations have pretty much removed ownership and authority to make decisions from front line staff, abdicating responsibility to an Algorithmic flow based on all the personal data that companies use to profile us.
    So IMO, the article is pretty much outdated !

I still use my charm, and am always polite, engaging and show an interest in the person serving me, just on the off chance that they reward me for being pleasant. ….Oh, and by the way it sometimes still works

1 user thanked author for this post.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘canucklad’ I’m a firm believer in being pleasant where possible and its benefits in ‘oiling the wheels of life. About a year ago I was flying TAP to Lisbon, it’s an airline I rarely use and so when a number of us were called to the counter as there was an overbooking issue I was surprised to be moved to Business. Our of curiosity I asked why and the girl said I was the only person who said “good morning” and smiled when I spoke with her. She made the decision based on that.

I am also a very strong advocate of the ‘random acts of kindness’ policy started by Anne Herbert. I was a recipient while in Geneva recently when a complete stranger anonymously paid the bar bill for those sitting either side of him before he left for his flight.

2 users thanked author for this post.

travelworld
    Participant

Good point, Charles P. Reminds me of the maxim “it never pays to p…people off”. And it’s surprising, if not shocking, to see how rude people can be to transport employees, air, sea or land-almost always with no excuse whatsoever.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=745555]Good point, Charles P. Reminds me of the maxim “it never pays to p…people off”. And it’s surprising, if not shocking, to see how rude people can be to transport employees, air, sea or land-almost always with no excuse whatsoever.

[/quote]

You’re absolutely right Travelworld. The trouble is it’s usually the front line employee who has to carry out managements strict rules that is seen as unbending and inflexible by the passenger. Having likely already had a stressfull journey to the airport and blood pressure raised, like a pressure cooker they let of their steam when faced with a situation they cannot change. I’m not condoning bad behaviour but sometimes I can understand it.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls