Hyper Loop travel – it's coming soon

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

The idea first mooted by Elon Musk of a high-speed tube based transport system that could ferry passengers above land at 750 miles per hour has moved a step closer to reality. Hardt Global Mobility from Delft in the Netherlands has set up the first full scale testing centre. Their plan is for a commercial hyperloop between Amsterdam and Paris by 2021 which would have a journey time of around 30 minutes.

Their website is here, makes for interesting reading – https://www.hardtglobalmobility.com/press/

SimonS1
    Participant

Good luck. If that is all set up and operational in 4 years I will be gobsmacked.

Charles-P
    Participant

@SimonS1 – yes I agree it looks optimistic but it was only seventeen years between the introduction of the first jet airliner and Concorde. If there is enough “push” behind it , it will happen.

Charles-P
    Participant

Photo here of the proposed capsule. Seems the idea is to have screens on the inside that simulate the outside view, an idea I first remember seeing with a number of the ‘blended wing’ aircraft designs where windows would have been difficult to incorporate.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811152]Good luck. If that is all set up and operational in 4 years I will be gobsmacked.

[/quote]

Me too, but this poster does seem to have unusual views on a few things.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811160] @SimonS1 – yes I agree it looks optimistic but it was only seventeen years between the introduction of the first jet airliner and Concorde. If there is enough “push” behind it , it will happen.

[/quote]

No it wasn’t, it was nearer 25 years than 17.

TominScotland
    Participant

[quote quote=811177]

@SimonS1 – yes I agree it looks optimistic but it was only seventeen years between the introduction of the first jet airliner and Concorde. If there is enough “push” behind it , it will happen.

[/quote]

Well if you want to pedantic, the first jet liner, the Comet, flew in 1949 (first commercial flight in 1952). Concorde’s maiden flight was in 1969 – ie. 20 years. Split the difference, gentlemen!!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=811160] @SimonS1 – yes I agree it looks optimistic but it was only seventeen years between the introduction of the first jet airliner and Concorde. If there is enough “push” behind it , it will happen.

[/quote]

Slight difference there – Concorde was able to use pre-existing airport infratructure. In this case the hyperloop needs 500km of infrastructure built between Amsterdam and Paris.

In any case if you read the article properly it says his ambition is to break ground on the link. Insert thpose three words in your post and the context is completely different. Sorry to disappoint you.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=811199]

Well if you want to pedantic, the first jet liner, the Comet, flew in 1949 (first commercial flight in 1952). Concorde’s maiden flight was in 1969 – ie. 20 years. Split the difference, gentlemen!!

[/quote]

Tom – ‘introduction’ means into revenue service.

The Comet made it’s first revenue flight in May 1952, the Concorde in January 1976, a difference of 23 years and 7 months – nearer 25 than 17.

I’ll give you that it’s only 20 years between maiden flights, but there was a 7 year gap before the Concorde flew revenue flights.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

whether it was 17 or 20 years between maiden flights (Comet to Concord(e)) – it is still an amazing technological advancement.

Whether Hyperloop will happen in 4 years time will tell.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@MartynSinclair, even if it is slightly longer than 4 years, it will still likely beat that POS HS2 into operational service, and transit time by a huge margin.

Charles-P
    Participant

Some pictures here from the US site – real progress being made. Really exciting technology that potentially will have a massive impact on how we travel in the future.

https://hyperloop-one.com/image-gallery

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=811286] @MartynSinclair, even if it is slightly longer than 4 years, it will still likely beat that POS HS2 into operational service, and transit time by a huge margin.

[/quote]

If they are hoping to cut ground in 2021 then obviously it’s going to be slightly more that 4 years….

AlanOrton1
    Participant

There was a good and balanced article in the Sunday Times today on this subject.
    Starting to get a bit more air time…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Elon Musk Is Digging a Hyperloop Tunnel in Maryland

Elon Musk, billionaire entrepreneur and CEO of SpaceX and Tesla, has been given permission to use machines from his new startup The Boring Company to build a tunnel that could eventually connect Baltimore to New York via a futuristic high-speed transportation system known as Hyperloop.

The Boring Company – very amusing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls