Hurghada Nightmare

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

• Andrew66
    Participant

AP , my experience of Egyptian airports is that on watching people at the metal detector archway they would alarm , and then empty the contents of their pocket , typically being a mobile phone , this would then be placed on the top of the X-ray machine and picked up once through . So contents of pockets were not placed through X-ray or examined , you might as well do away with the archway completely because you are indentifying a problem and then doing absolutely nothing about it .
    Also bottles of liquids over 100 mls being allowed , people walking through swigging from a 500ml bottle of ” water” ???

This is a serious point raised by AP and is being taken over by people’s religious ?? views please discuss elsewhere

Irons80
    Participant

I didn’t get political – I commented that to label a whole country as something on the basis on meeting a few people from that country is offensive. It would be no different to saying that I have no intention of visiting France based on a few French people I have met, or that all white South Africans are racist because of apartheid or that Nigeria is full of conmen because of a few phishing scam emails coming from there. Or that all Muslims want to kill Christians and Jews because some Muslims interpret the Kuran to claim that it says so.
    Where does it stop? What’s acceptable and what’s not?

I also agree that it has nothing to do with the thread or business travel, and again I go back to pointing the finger at capetonianm who first first labeled the majority of Egyptians in an unpleasant way and then subsequently mentioned not wanting to visit another country based on the limited experiences he’d had with those people (which happened to be Israel).

dutchyankee
    Participant

Fair enough, and good points, but here`s a link to lighten the mood, I hope, and just meant for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoACIIz33II

Bullfrog
    Participant

It is ignorance which compels people to label a nation by their prejudices, even if they have had a limited exposure to a country or it’s population.

Capetonianm has ‘history’ on this forum. He made racist remarks when a posting was made of a north London travel agent whose alleged name was Israel. CapetonianM had no hesitation of referring to the name ‘Israel’ with racist remarks, when in fact, the genteleman in question was black & just happened to share his name with that of a country. His racist posting was removed by the moderator.

capetonianm
    Participant

Well done Bullfrog, play the race card too. Last resort and all that!

BriefStyle
    Participant

Bullfrog

+1

Totally agree there is history which the BT moderator removed

Bullfrog
    Participant

CapetonianM

The topic is Hurghada during the Egyptian crisis.
    You brought Israel into the fold.
    You are entitled to your opinion.
    Be prepared for a response should you share your views.
    I don’t find xenophobic remarks welcoming.

Just a little anecdote.

I spent my 21st birthday working in Israel. I too found the people I worked for very aggressive and after my 4 months there I swore never to set foot in the country again.

20 years later and I still have not returned, but as I am much wiser ?? I have changed opinion and would quite happily go back.

capetonianm
    Participant

To those who equate anti-Israeli or anti-Zionist sentiments with anti-semitism, may I point out firstly that Arabs are semitic people too, and also that many Jews feel it appropriate to boycott Israel and Israeli goods :

http://jews4big.wordpress.com/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Jews-for-Boycotting-Israeli-Goods/100920339981699

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bullfrog

From the Collins English Dictionary

Xenophobic

‘Having or showing a hatred or fear of foreigners or strangers or of their politics or culture’

Capetonianm’s remarks not xenophobic, they are rational (he met a sample of people and based on his experience chose not to go to their country, because he did not like their behaviour) and do not display hatred or fear.

As much as I don’t agree with capetonian’s assessment, I recognise his right to hold and express such an opinion in a decent free society and shame on you for your assertion.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Indeed, xenophobic means ‘having or showing an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries’.

CapetonianM has made it quite clear that he dislikes Israelis. He’s never been to Israel.

We have all met people from different countries, different races and different religions & we might not always like what we see. To form such prejudices proves ignorance.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“CapetonianM has made it quite clear that he dislikes Israelis”

For goodness sake, he wrote

“(Israel I have not been to and do not intend to go to)”

“It was intended as you understood it. Those whom I’ve met elsewhere, and that’s been quite a lot for various reasons and in several different contexts, have done nothing to make me want to visit their country, in fact quite the opposite.”

How do you extrapolate that to equating to “CapetonianM has made it quite clear that he dislikes Israelis?”

He has met a number and their behaviour has made him decide not to visit Israel.

That does not equate to xenophobia.

This is xenophobia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1XII7Fr4NA&bpctr=1377184612

Get over it and move on.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@Bullfrog

And your point is? Does everyone have to like Israelis? Why does this matter on a travel blog?

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls