How will hotels operate when they re-open?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

We know already about the deep cleaning that is taking place now, and in the near future, but what about the other services like bars, restaurants and Exec lounges?

The major tourist hotels in the Algarve are planning to reopen next month, but with limited services. Portugal has decreed that restaurants can operate at 50% capacity maximum, with significant distancing between tables, as applies to street restaurants. The hotels are saying that they will increase room service offerings to compensate for limited restaurant seating, but there should also be no bars open.

I am mainly asking thoughts on business hotels in this post. Will Exec lounges open again? If so, how? Food is normally self service buffet snacks, and drinks also self service. Many lounges already get over-crowded with strangers forced to share tables. How will hotels cope with the number of Exec floor guests, and available space in the lounge?

Still on lounges, if capacity is reduced for social distancing, what happens to the benefits of high tier status? If I can’t use the lounge as a Hilton Diamond, or Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, I shall probably seek a bigger room, or suite, in a smaller hotel if the only reward for loyalty is points for nights in the hotel chain.

christ
    Participant

In Hong Kong, most of the exec lounges stayed open. For example at JW, there were blocked tables but you could help yourself to soft drinks the whole time and they kept the buffet. Alcohol was provided by staff when there was a restriction on bars opening (only restaurants allowed) but since this has changed, it has resumed self service alcohol also.

The only real change is reduced tables now.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Sad fact is FaroFlyer you’re topic could have been and probably more accurately titled, what hotels won’t be back.
    Sadly, overnight 7 famous Scottish hotels have announced their closure. Worse still,because they’re in rural communities the impact on the locals will be devasting. On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi CanuckLad, Sad to hear that. About 35 years ago I ran a company in Perth and used to stay at either Huntingtower or Murray’s Hall. Both excellent private hotels. Hope they are not affected.

SimonS1
    Participant

Sadly, overnight 7 famous Scottish hotels have announced their closure. Worse still,because they’re in rural communities the impact on the locals will be devasting. On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease

Yep, exactly why the Government needs to get things moving rather than pandering to the health and safety brigade.

Give people a choice to stay indoors or resume their lives. Before the economy totally collapsed.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease

Globally, I fear. The long term consequences of mass unemployment and poverty will be spread across the entire community, affecting the younger and more productive to a greater degree. Covid primarily affects the older and economically inactive demographic (I think I can get away with saying this as I am in that group).
    I fear that several of my favourite restaurants and hotels may never reopen.

GivingupBA
    Participant

“I fear that several of my favourite restaurants and hotels may never reopen”, that’s right – not to mention endless thousands of such in Italy, Greece, Spain, Thailand, and in numerous other places all over Europe and the world.

capetonianm
    Participant

Sorry, that wasn’t meant to sound self-centred, simply a small example to illustrate the scale of closures.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Sorry, that wasn’t meant to sound self-centred, simply a small example to illustrate the scale of closures.

capetonianm, I absolutely did not think it sounded self-centred – I am very sorry if my post looked like that – I thought that you made a good point, and I merely wanted to add to it by saying that there would be much broader global effects as well…. that countless other hotels and restaurants might also close.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls