How will hotels operate when they re-open?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

We know already about the deep cleaning that is taking place now, and in the near future, but what about the other services like bars, restaurants and Exec lounges?

The major tourist hotels in the Algarve are planning to reopen next month, but with limited services. Portugal has decreed that restaurants can operate at 50% capacity maximum, with significant distancing between tables, as applies to street restaurants. The hotels are saying that they will increase room service offerings to compensate for limited restaurant seating, but there should also be no bars open.

I am mainly asking thoughts on business hotels in this post. Will Exec lounges open again? If so, how? Food is normally self service buffet snacks, and drinks also self service. Many lounges already get over-crowded with strangers forced to share tables. How will hotels cope with the number of Exec floor guests, and available space in the lounge?

Still on lounges, if capacity is reduced for social distancing, what happens to the benefits of high tier status? If I can’t use the lounge as a Hilton Diamond, or Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, I shall probably seek a bigger room, or suite, in a smaller hotel if the only reward for loyalty is points for nights in the hotel chain.

christ
    Participant

In Hong Kong, most of the exec lounges stayed open. For example at JW, there were blocked tables but you could help yourself to soft drinks the whole time and they kept the buffet. Alcohol was provided by staff when there was a restriction on bars opening (only restaurants allowed) but since this has changed, it has resumed self service alcohol also.

The only real change is reduced tables now.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Sad fact is FaroFlyer you’re topic could have been and probably more accurately titled, what hotels won’t be back.
    Sadly, overnight 7 famous Scottish hotels have announced their closure. Worse still,because they’re in rural communities the impact on the locals will be devasting. On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi CanuckLad, Sad to hear that. About 35 years ago I ran a company in Perth and used to stay at either Huntingtower or Murray’s Hall. Both excellent private hotels. Hope they are not affected.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=999325]Sadly, overnight 7 famous Scottish hotels have announced their closure. Worse still,because they’re in rural communities the impact on the locals will be devasting. On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease[/quote]

Yep, exactly why the Government needs to get things moving rather than pandering to the health and safety brigade.

Give people a choice to stay indoors or resume their lives. Before the economy totally collapsed.

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

On this occasion its probably safe to say the medicine has damaged the patient more than the disease

Globally, I fear. The long term consequences of mass unemployment and poverty will be spread across the entire community, affecting the younger and more productive to a greater degree. Covid primarily affects the older and economically inactive demographic (I think I can get away with saying this as I am in that group).
    I fear that several of my favourite restaurants and hotels may never reopen.

GivingupBA
    Participant

“I fear that several of my favourite restaurants and hotels may never reopen”, that’s right – not to mention endless thousands of such in Italy, Greece, Spain, Thailand, and in numerous other places all over Europe and the world.

capetonianm
    Participant

Sorry, that wasn’t meant to sound self-centred, simply a small example to illustrate the scale of closures.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=999338][/postquote]

capetonianm, I absolutely did not think it sounded self-centred – I am very sorry if my post looked like that – I thought that you made a good point, and I merely wanted to add to it by saying that there would be much broader global effects as well…. that countless other hotels and restaurants might also close.

K1ngston
    Participant

[postquote quote=999339][/postquote]

GivingUpBA yours didnt either, just both making very good and poignant facts …..

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

We just ate for the first time, in one of our favourite restaurants this Sunday. Normally seats 60 outside, and now only 30 due to distancing rules. We’re friends with the owners and he has had to layoff half his staff, will only open 4 days a week instead of 6 and is just about breaking even, though he had to put a lot of his own money to keep the restaurant from closing completely during the lockdown period. He’s in his early 60’s and told me the lockdown period, where he and his wife stayed at home, caused him to reflect whether it’s worth staying open at all? He’ll likely stay open for the summer season then close permanently. Such a shame and he’s not the only one.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In-room coffee/tea making facilities will surely be removed.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I asked a friendly GM of branded hotel whether he could provide a contribution for this thread and copy below his reply. I have kept all references anon..

“In terms of how hotels will operate when they re-open, a few thoughts on some new normals:

– The attached to be included to each and every sales or event proposal being sent from the hotels.

– Scaled back workforce of 33% headcount reductions from 1st July 2020 until 31st December 2021.

– Continued salary reductions of circa 20-40% per staff for remaining hotel employees until 31st December 2020.

– Hand sanitisers visible in all areas of the hotel.

– Face masks worn by all staff at all times.

– Social distancing spacing stickers in elevators and public areas with seating and standing distancing recommended.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Trying to view that attachment on my small laptop screen I see that, at the unnamed hotel, there will be “deep cleaning” in “high touch” areas.

More staff will be needed to service / clean guests’ rooms which in turn means the hotel’s costs will rise.

Higher room rates ?

Alternatively it will take longer to clean the rooms which means, unless more staff are recruited, check-in times will be later than has been the norm.

And more staff will be needed in other areas to maintain the higher cleaning standards.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi Alex, in the Algarve hotels are saying that they will allow 24 hours between rooms being vacated and occupied. Probably a good idea, and not an additional cost given expected low occupancy this summer.

I was interested as to why you think that the tea / coffee trays will be removed. Everything is sealed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls