How unsafe is airline food?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

LouisYiakoumi
    Participant

I have read a few articles about cockroach and rodent infestation at the biggest providers of airline food. Is it really that bad? Should we eat before we fly? Or take a Big Mac on board instead? It actually sounds like a serious problem.

NTarrant
    Participant

I think you are worrying too much. Certainly in the developed world hygene standards are good. But because there has been a case of the critters you mention, may not be attributed to the airline or its caterers.

You could also ask how safe is the Big Mac you are going to buy at the airport to take on the plane. Or how safe is the resturant that you will eat at before you fly or indeed anywhere.

The facts are that you have probably eaten somewhere where there is this kind of infestation and not know about it. What the eye does not see! In essence you could ask how safe are you to anywhere. If you know something has a poor reputation don’t eat there or on their flights.

erika08
    Participant

definitely correct..

RichHI1
    Participant

In the US food establishments are rated for hygiene and must display their rating fpor customers. I believe the Uk has an inspection system but the findings are not so public. Are there any common standards on airline food preparation establishments or is it a local thing with differing standards in different locations?
    I know I fly a lot and have only been poisoned once by a Hong Kong based carrier on PVG-HKG.

NTarrant
    Participant

All food outlets in the UK are inspected by Environmental Health at regular intervals. There is a rating system and most local authorities are using the same system or moving to the system. It is not law to display the rating.

Most EU countries have a simular system, airline food companies would have to comply with local regulations. It just depends on where you fly from.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The last thing any airline wants is to poison you, especially with today’s social media such as Twitter and Facebook where this type of thing spreads round the world in minutes.

Hygiene standards are therefore high but wherever food is prepared en-masse, there will be all sorts of critters runnng round. If the food has been properly cooked, and then re-heated at the right temperature, you will come to no harm.

I hate to say it, but even if a cockcroach got in the food and was cooked, you’d come to no harm at all. The Chnese eat them as a delicacy I believe!

Researching this subject a couple of years ago, I discovered a small percentage of rat and bird droppings are allowed in wheat, rice, coffee and even in canned soups and other food.

Of course you won’t find this on the list of ingredients but the permitted amounts are in a list issued by the food authorities. (Who remembers the old joke about the rat shit in the coffee beans? Many a true word spoken in jest).

So Louis, don’t let it worry you to much, you’ve been eating these horrible things all your life and are still alive, so enjoy your on board dinner as I don’t think a few airline meals will do you any harm!

LouisYiakoumi
    Participant

Dear LuganoPirate,

I am not sure you made me feel 100% more comfortable reading your post. Especially at dinner time. But it’s nice to know my immune system should be stronger after all these years.

RichHI1
    Participant

Well just thunk about where the vegetables grew and what fertilized them..

LouisYiakoumi
    Participant

So are you trying to tell me that my life is – work for big company, work hard, travel non-stop, eat s**t!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Afraid so. That about sums it up Louis 😉
    Seriously, best not to think about it and just enjoy what’s put in front of you. I do. A good glass of red wine is supposed to be a good disinfectant as well!

RichHI1
    Participant

You’ve been at the Chinese Burgundy again. 😉

Stephen787
    Participant

Airline food is probably safer than the airport restaurant given the strict requirements that are required in the planning and processing of it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls