How to go north from BOS car rental without paying tolls?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• nopeda
    Participant

I don’t mind paying the tolls, but want to avoid paying $13/day to rent a transponder for 5 days when I only really need it to get out of Boston and then back into Boston, and for 3 full days wouldn’t need it at all. I’m headed to Gorham, NH. People have said to take 1A to Revere, then 1, and go on from there. Look for signs to Revere because 1A splits off. But I’m worried about getting in a jam where I can’t back up or turn around and end up having to get on a toll road and then the fines will be $75, at each booth I believe. Looking at the maps I can’t see exactly how to get to 1A from EZ Rent-A-Car at the airport. Can anyone explain exactly how to do that? Also does 1A become 60 in Revere and then joins with 1 a little farther on? That’s what it looks like.

Another possible option? Can a person take the subway blue line to Revere and then rent a car from there? I don’t see what looks like a rental place very close to any of the subway stops, and can’t tell how it would be to walk.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
    David

jdugganv
    Participant

Hi David

You actually have a number of options. Logan Airport is on the north side of the tunnels, and all of the usual car rentals are available 24/7. If you take the MBTA Blue Line to the final stop (Wonderland), you could call Enterprise Car Rental in Revere from the station, they will pick you up and bring you to their office. They have limited hours, so verify the times before you select that option. It could be walked safely, however there is a hill and if you are dragging luggage with you I wouldn’t recommend it.

Route 1A to 60 to Route 1 is the correct route – and each portion is a busy 4 lane “highway”, but really just a local road that is very well marked with signs for NH. There would be 2 rotaries (roundabouts) between Logan and Route 1, as well as a number of traffic lights – you would never be in a spot where you couldn’t recover without ease. Personally, I would not recommend EZ Rent a Car, spend a few dollars more for Avis/Hertz/Alamo – they are national companies and if you have any issues with the automobile while in NH, they would be better equipped to assist you.

Getting from the rental car center at Logan to Route 1A north is simple – just follow the airport exit signs and look for 1A North Revere/NH.If you have more questions post a follow up and I’ll do my best to help.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls