How shall you be voting?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

I am not surprised, and also had voted to leave.
    We need change, and the UK will thrive outside the EU political system.
    History has been made today, and we will regain our Sovereignty.

I as am sure many others, will remain a part of Europe, as well as retain a strong National identity.

icenspice
    Participant

Thanks Philip, MrM and canucklad.

21…I wish lol. Ironically, I was born in the UK 44 years ago today.

And even though I have been living in a europhile country for almost 14 years, I was not persuaded otherwise.

I will be sitting on the edge of my seat at 18:00 CET again tomorrow….not good for the nerves!

PhilipHart
    Participant

@icenspice

Let me be the first (on this forum) to wish you Happy Birthday!

And be sure to have a glass of bubbly to calm your nerves 🙂

icenspice
    Participant

Is Cava permitted, Philip?

PhilipHart
    Participant

Claro que si!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Surprised but not that unhappy – better the incompetent British Parliament than the unaccountable Brussels Bureaucrat.
    Nice to find that our policy to destroy the EU has worked: we pushed hard for the entry of countries before they were ready with the consequence that we have now voted to stop their citizens flooding here.

The chinese curse now seems appropriate “May you live in interesting times”

PhilipHart
    Participant

canucklad
    Participant

SimonRowberry
    Participant

A prediction now Dave’s going.

No decision on LHR this summer. Boris becomes PM in October at the Conservative Conference. Whole issue back up in the air (pun not intended). Many more years to come with substandard aviation infrastructure in the SE.

Simon

openfly
    Participant

Great news. One big but….pound drops against the dollar, so Willie Walsh puts a fuel surcharge on the fuel surcharge!!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

With 60% of my fellow Brent residents.

At moments such as this, I am reminded of the comment made about democracy by one H L Mencken, the American essayist:

“Democracy is the notion that the common people know what is good for them and [they] deserve to get it good and hard”.

But in the context of over 50% of British manufacturing being foreign-owned and based here (in no small part) because of access to the Single European Market, the long and slow process of disinvestment will shortly start to kick in because, in order to “take back control of our borders”, there will be serious immigration controls on EU citizens. As the free flow of people’s is a precondition of SEM access, this will lead, as has been repeatedly pointed out, to the UK’s exclusion from the SEM and with it the loss of the City of London’s passporting into the same. The evidence regarding this is Switzerland and its 2014 referendum vote to limit immigration and the EU immediately removing Swiss access to Erasmus and EU research projects. The Swiss are now pondering a further plebiscite to undo the damage.

With unemployment starting to edge upwards just as wages have started to get very soggy, I wonder just how long before we are subject to a chorus of bleating “but nobody ever told us that this was going to happen….!” Except, of course, that on this occasion, everyone absolutely was warned but chose entirely to ignore “the experts”:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/blogs/george-magnus-2/why-do-brexiteers-just-refuse-to-accept-hard-evidence

A comment heard recently in Sydney: the Brexiters, standing on top of a cliff, are determined to jump despite not knowing either how high is the cliff nor how deep is the water. We’re just about to find out the answer to both.

And for those of you who are besides yourself with mirth at the pleasure of jumping over the cliff, a rather more mature take on events:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10052646/Quitting-the-EU-wont-solve-our-problems-says-Boris-Johnson.html

canucklad
    Participant

Some thoughtful analysis AD….
    But this was all so predictable.Granted, that when I went to bed, I believed the polls would reflect the Scottish trend when I woke up.

And what has amazed me today at work is the surprise and astonishment of the result.
    Until I got them to consider and evaluate the unexpected result of the last general election. Why did so many more people than expected vote Tory and what was their true motivation. After all voting Labour or UKIP wasn’t going to deliver a referendum !!
    IMO, David Cameron and cohorts where so far up their own backsides congratulating themselves they never realized they’d armed their own smoking gun….sealing their political fates.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

ADunn: you may like this video: http://awesomejelly.com/kipu-falls-hawaii-swimming-hole…/

Maybe a good picture of the the UK decision…

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ PeterCoultas – 25/06/2016 13:28 BST

I think that maybe this is an even better picture of the UK’s decision. The level of mendacity behind Vote Leave utterly beggars belief:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jTRoySFfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ktojE6WQA

canucklad
    Participant

AD, the vote leave camp weren’t the only side who indulged in spreading sour manure over the truthful facts.
    In fact ,the sheer scale of negative and outrageous claims from the remain campaign arguably lost them the referendum.
    Simply put, the ignorant who voted to stop the swarms, remember who referred to it as a storm and voted accordingly. The undecided probably came from the economic argument, and Gideon and co, just couldn’t be believed.
    His claims were akin to turning back the clock and insisting that we believe the world is flat and HMS UK would sail over the edge.
    The Remain campaign need to ask themselves, why they couldn’t convince the country with positives.
    Just because they scared the bejesus out of the Scots last year, doesn’t mean you see it as a credible strategy and ramp up the negativity even more .

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls