How Obese is acceptable?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=926778]It was their 777-300 which, thankfully, is still configured as 3-3-3. Looking around the departure lounge there were a lot of generously proportioned pax who I was really hoping not to share a tight space with for just under 13 hours.[/quote]

Not for long I’ afraid, just read CX are looking to go 3 x 4 x 3 on their 777’s!

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

On the basis that (so I believe) Thai only operate the 777-300ER to Europe, a low-yield route, I was surprised that they still operate a 3-3-3 configuration. Even though the flight was full, I don’t see how they can compete with Emirates, Qatar etc. Still, I wasn’t complaining…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Samoa Air actually do – and make people pay according to their weight

We have been weighed prior to a flight before – it was from Manila to some remote airstrip (and I do mean airstrip – we came in very low over the sea and were somewhat surprised, as soon as we landed, to find we were zooming uphill! At the top, the aircraft stopped, turned round, we were chucked out, and the aircraft was ready to get a bit of gravity assistance in reaching takeoff speed on the way back down! Why don’t major airports do this??? Quite a few Underground lines are designed the same way, with the platforms at the highest point – but I digress). The Memsahib and I (and a couple of our friends) were all told to stand on weighing scales, holding our cabin bags, and our weight was then yelled across the “terminal” (hut), much to the Memsahib’s chagrin as she was heavily pregnant at the time! Unsurprisingly she ended up in the middle of the cabin!

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=928942]our weight was then yelled across the “terminal” (hut), much to the Memsahib’s chagrin[/quote]

Imperial Airways, in the 1920s and 1930s, used to weigh every passenger before boarding – vital in those days of primitive aircraft with not much power. They used a big scale that everyone could see.

Of course, this used to cause a certain amount of embarrassment, chiefly among the female pax.

IA came up with a genius solution: they hired an expert tailor and dressmaker, who could estimate a passenger’s weight with amazing accuracy, and who then simply jotted down a figure.

They weighed people and all their baggage very carefully on airships, too, for obvious reasons. On the Graf Zeppelin’s world circumnavigation flight, a passenger brought on a very small gramophone and some records and it was nearly chucked overboard (Hugo Eckener relented and was glad he did, because it provided much-needed diversion).

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=926778]Point is, I’m guessing that some routes attract far more larger pax than others?[/quote]

Interesting thought process ?

And I wonder if there is data to support the justification for reconfiguring aircraft based on average passenger size ?
    Plus if an airline did adopt this approach, I wonder how long it would be, in this day and age for someone to be offended and use discrimination legislation to sue an airline?

Bigger sets = fewer seats = costlier seats = Premium economy !!

Maybe, if you can prove that your size is down to a health condition, PE becomes available at a discounted price.
    Otherwise I’m afraid it’s a 2 seat purchase or a full price PE ticket.

Like K1ngston, I also opt for a window seat and aisle seat and hope for the best.
    It’s playing the game, after all when you interact with airlines these days, it’s a game of chess. Trying to out manoeuvre what the airlines are going to do next to fleece us !

1 user thanked author for this post.

sj.b
    Participant

The thing with telling people to buy business class seats, is that there is usually a shell, preventing the person occupying both seats. Economy would be much better as the person can spread out easier, rather than be hemmed in.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

“Economy would be much better as the person can spread out easier, rather than be hemmed in”

Err….

K1ngston
    Participant

sj.b I honestly don’t believe you have just said that….. The whole thread started when I said that due to this persons size my whole flight was impacted by it, what you’re suggesting is that “that’s fine” … It isnt and for all the demented comments to the contrary why should anyone suffer due to someone else’s issue (whatever that may be)…

K1ngston
    Participant

Exactly canucklad, I was and always will try and play the game with airlines, they take lots of money from me I am not a “one of passenger” and I was absolutely trying to play the game ……

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is there a similar discussion relevant to tall people… who cant easily fit into economy space?

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=929730]Is there a similar discussion relevant to tall people… who cant easily fit into economy space?[/quote]

Well, tall people do not bother others…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=929736]Well, tall people do not bother others…[/quote]

Unless they dig their knees into the small of your back or keep hitting your setback as they move about…

I’m tall and am always very conscious of it, and try not to hit the back of the seat in front with my knees. In some modern configurations, however, it is almost impossible to avoid.

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

The trouble with flying economy (especially long haul) these days is that it’s a total lottery
    Your odds of a successful outcome are wholly dependent on the airline and its ancillary income algorithms.

If you’re not aware of the tricks , and tips to increase your odds, or can’t be bothered to dance the airlines waltz the price you pay is likely to reflect the minimum benefits available to you.

I was allowed to change my allocated seats (rubbish) prior to departure . Moved me and my pal to the tapered rows at the back. M y other mate who was joining us in FRA opted for an aisle seat right in front of us. Boarded the aircraft with the dispatcher and all 3 of us managed to bag 2 seats each . A very comfortable and roomy flight out to HKG.
    IMO, I got better value for money than the PE passengers crowded together in their cabin.

On the way back, tried the same trick, alas the aircraft was chock a block and I got what I paid for. An adequate for my size seat, with little recline, made worse by the knees of the gentleman behind.
    Plus, my space was invaded by my wee pals sleeping head coming to rest on my shoulder. He’s one of my best friends , yet I was still cursing his comatose state invasion of my personal space.

So Ian, I wonder what my thought process would have been if you as a tall strange man had done the same.

So K1ingston, in retrospect I applaud your self-control !

Ultimately it comes down to airlines not investing in seat design, maximising space for their greed rather than customer comfort.
    What amazes me, is when airline executives stand up and proclaim their surprise and disgust at the recent increase in air rage!! Yet, none of them seem to be able to grasp the correlation of their deliberate decisions with the growing tensions within their own “Y” cabins.

5 users thanked author for this post.

sj.b
    Participant

I wasn’t clear. I meant if they purchase extra seats in economy. In business, you can’t use the extra seat because of the shell of the seat, whereas you can in economy as there’s no shell. Apologies for not being clear.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 93 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls