How much notice does British Airways give of cancellations?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Some advice please.

I have a BA flight to a Balkan destination later in May. This was originally booked back in October 2021 and has been cancelled and then rebooked several times in the interim.

So far, it seems to be operating (or at least I’ve not yet been advised otherwise).

In people’s experience, how late to BA typically leave it before they cancel a flight and notify passengers? Is this a fair time in advance, or do they cancel at last minute?

Previously, these flights have been cancelled around 2-3 weeks before departure.

Thanks for your advice.

Simon

ASK1945
    Participant

Simon

I don’t think there is a definitive answer to your question. Just go on to the “BA Musical Chairs” thread on the Forum to read about some of the messing around going on by BA, as they appear to be trying to kill off their business.

My personal experience of a change of a return flight to LHR was it being moved from 1655 to 0700, which meant losing a day, or extending this to 0700 the following day, meaning that I am paying for another day in a hotel – and leaving it at about 0300. As I had more than two weeks’ notice, no compensation.

I have four more BA return flights booked in the next 6 months and I await these with trepidation.

Today, one my wife’s friends had her flight to Athens this coming week cancelled. She was going to her own best friend’s wedding. All alternative flights were double what she paid BA (who were no help to her, despite their EU261 requirement to do so). If she books one she will struggle to get back her reimbursement.

I have many other friends who have had their flights cancelled or moved at varying notice – from hours to months – and everything in between.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

I’m flying JFK-LHR-TLV in 35 days. Just learned the latter sector has been canceled AND BA didn’t even offer an alternative. They’re just getting me to LHR. I’m beyond SMH.

ASK1945
    Participant

I fly this route (LHR to TLV) frequently. I know that BA have dropped back to just one flight a day, each way, until the end of June, at least. But it’s quite worrying if they have dropped the route entirely on some days.

I have just looked and, understandably from experience, the website can’t decide whether the a flight from LHR is being offered on some days, or not. In any case, the economy pricing is sometimes eye-wateringly high. And, they appear to be offering Business Class for less than Premiun Economy on the days that they are flying.

I suggest yo cancel the whole lot and choose Virgin who have set their JFK to TLV flights to be via LHR.

maxgeorge
    Participant

None.

I was booked on BA 677, IST-LHR 17h35, May 21.

No text or email notifacation of of cancellation.

Checked in May 20, to find I’m on BA 689 departing 20h05.

A couple of wasted hours at IST, waiting for BA staff to open the desk, and a lost GWR train booking.

My fault – I should have flown Turkish,

SimonS1
    Participant

Impossible to say.

Generally more than 14 days (to avoid compensation, not to help you). However in some recent cases it has been on the day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls