How much is an apology worth?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

Actually KLM as stated above, credited me with a Compensation Voucher immediately by email on the flight, from the Pursers Ipad, and also bonus miles within 72 hrs.
    This was without asking.
    One delay ex LHR, i received the compensation form at 3 hrs from them by email, and i completed it.
    I was offered twice the Compensation if it was a Credit Voucher for KLM/ AF, rather than cash into the Bank.

They are really excellent, posters are all around Schiphol, notifying you of your rights for dalays or denied Boarding.
    How much more Honest and informative can you get?

3 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

So, AlanOrton1, not so long a wait as I received confirmation from BA today that they accepted my claim (8 days after submission) and will be paying money into my account over the next 14 days. All well and good BUT the sum offered is £260 for a 5,500 km trip after a delay over 3 hours for technical reasons????? I really don’t know from where they got that figure which is about 50% of what it should be. I have challenged them by return but wondered whether anyone had any insights into this practice?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’m envious you elicited a response from them Tom! BA should be applauded for a much improved customer service response time…
    Though it sounds like one step forward and one and a half back.
    FDOS may be able to offer some thought on this as I think he is quite well versed.
    My uneducated suspicion is the operative who replied to you doesn’t have a firm grip on the subject matter.

huey
    Participant

From what I’ve heard, it’s ‘airline math’. Nobody seems to have any idea how an airline calculates compensation for flight problems. Hopefully someone who really knows how it’s done will chime in here, but they may have a code of silence on the subject.

FDOS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1364271]

In this instance, the airline is correct, although compensation should be paid within 7 days, not 14.

The delay compensation figure is explained by EC261 – I’ve pasted all of Article 7 here, but the salient point is in the very last sentence. Three hours delay (if not extraordinary) on a 3,500km + triggers 50% compensation and four hours triggers 100%.

Article 7
    Right to compensation
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall receive compensation amounting to:
    (a) EUR 250 for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less;
    (b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, and for all other flights between
    1500 and 3500 kilometres;
    (c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under
    (a) or (b).

In determining the distance, the basis shall be the last destination at which the denial of boarding or
    cancellation will delay the passenger’s arrival after the scheduled time.

2. When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article
    8, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked

(a) by two hours, in respect of all flights of 1500 kilometres or less; or
    (b) by three hours, in respect of all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and for all other
    flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres; or
    (c) by four hours, in respect of all flights not falling under (a) or (b), the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %.

2 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Added to further explain – when the UK left the EU, it adopted EC261 as UK261 – however the compensation levels are set in GBP. For 3,500km+, te full figure is £520, which divided by two, gives £260.

1 user thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks, FDOS, that is very helpful

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls