How do you feel about facial recognition?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Jenni Reid
    Keymaster

A tweet showing a kiosk at Chengdu Shuangliu airport that uses facial recognition to provide flight updates and gate information went viral on Twitter this week:

I’m curious to know whether BT readers have seen anything similar before (the man who posted the video, a regular traveller in China, told me he hasn’t seen one elsewhere in the country). By that I mean a general information/public service booth, rather than for check-in/security/boarding.

Additionally – how do people feel about biometric systems, especially as they become more widespread? Useful, creepy, both?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think any technological advancement is natural progression for future generations. I have enough issues keeping up with revised password protocols, so as long a facial recognition works and it doesn’t give me someone else’s itinerary, I have absolutely no issues.

I just wish there was a facial recognition solution for the financial institutions to avoid being asked what my name and date of birth is… along with the name of my first pet.. when I call in….

We all put up with and accept security scanning machines seeing down to our bones….

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

It’s a bit gimmicky, but then again I suppose you could say that about almost anything new and unusual.

It’s also an extension of our laziness.

Many a moon ago, TV remote controls came along and people could indent their sofa even further. Now that device has progressed to voice control, no need to even punch buttons anymore.
    Where will it all end I wonder ?
    Fortunately, I’ll be popping up the daisies long before devices are anatomically inserted into us , just in order to make our life easier.

On a personal note, my new laptop is facial recognition and it does make life easier. Or does it?
    It hurts my brain trying to remember my synchronized passwords when logging into embedded apps.

On an amusing note, I had forgotten about the attached camera on a Skype meeting . Someone in the meeting said something ridiculous , resulting in a facial Tourette’s response from yours truly.

“Don’t you agree canucklad” rang through my headset…. I was swiftly and loudly chastised due to some colleagues ability to apparently lip read !!

I was speechless Didn’t know what to say or where to look. Functionality now well and truly switched off.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Imagine the system gives you someone else’s itinerary…???

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think it depends on who has the data and what use it is put to.

In Chinese cities they are trialling facial recognition at traffic lights, apparently.

Jaywalkers under surveillance in Shenzhen soon to be punished via text messages

“Intellifusion, [is] a Shenzhen-based AI firm that provides technology to the city’s police to display the faces of jaywalkers on large LED screens at intersections… [it] installed cameras with 7 million pixels of resolution to capture photos of pedestrians crossing the road against traffic lights. Facial recognition technology identifies the individual from a database and displays a photo of the jaywalking offence, the family name of the offender and part of their government identification number on large LED screens above the pavement.”

The technology is being developed further, so that offenders are sent text messages or messages via WeChat.

I spoke with someone in security who said the next stage is to assign everyone a points score, and each time they do something wrong, to record a negative mark against that score. There’s also the possibility of recording a credit – maybe helping someone across the road, or informing on someone.

Of course it’s easy to suspect governments, but let’s face it, many of us have phones that unlock using either facial ID or by a fingerprint, which means that Google or Apple also has all our details including biometric data. It’s all very Minority Report….

stevescoots
    Participant

Facial recognition is all over China now, many holders of resident visa’s including myself have had visits at home or work and had new mugshots taken to “check your papers are in order and update the system” its far from perfect however, recently someone got a ticket for jaywalking….but in fact they were a model and her face etc was on the side of a bus

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Well, facial recognition has been around, in a primitive form, ever since they started putting photos into passports.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=925577]I just wish there was a facial recognition solution for the financial institutions to avoid being asked what my name and date of birth is… along with the name of my first pet.. when I call in….[/quote]

My bank uses my voice to identify me when I call them by phone. All I have to do is say “My voice is my password”, and it knows who I am without having to enter any passwords.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=925800]Well, facial recognition has been around, in a primitive form, ever since they started putting photos into passports.[/quote]

I remember in Singapore for the first time, circa 1981, I checked into my hotel, and from then on everyone addressed me as Mr. Pirate, even though I’d never been into the restaurant etc before. On asking I was told a picture of all the guests are circulated with the name. I was very impressed. That for me is full facial recognition!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=925577]I just wish there was a facial recognition solution for the financial institutions to avoid being asked what my name and date of birth is… along with the name of my first pet.. when I call in….[/quote]

Standard Chartered in HK use one. If I log on to their website, it triggers an alert on the app on my phone asking me to approve the login, I click on that and it uses the iPhone’s facial recognition software to confirm it’s me, and the website lets me through to my homepage. Brilliant!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Let’s face it: privacy is moribund! Do I like the idea? Certainly not! But this is the 21st Century… So, as Tom mentioned, it is all about what do you do of these data. It is for us, the People, to defend whatever can be not to end up in a V for Vendetta world.

K1ngston
    Participant

Same with UOB Ian, I have to say works brilliantly!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls