How do you avoid extortionate mobile roaming charges?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have just fallen in love with

Business EE 95

http://business.ee.co.uk/mobile-tariffs/pay-monthly

and EE are back with Blackberry… at least on the business front..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Lifestyle, an interesting post but you didn’t tell us who you use! Can you give us the name of the company or a link?

cityprofessional
    Participant

BUMP

Question for you Three users!

The Three FeelAtHome deal is looking increasingly attractive as they add more and more countries – so it’s great for multi-country trips…

…however, I’m on a great EE deal which works best currently for my needs in the UK, so I don’t want to move from that

Could I resolve this by getting a Three PAYG SIM, and then buying a one month, 300 minute, unlimited data (OK, 25GB abroad) top up whenever I am travelling? It seems like £15 well spent, but what’s the catch?

Does anyone have a better solution?!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If you need minutes back and forth between Europe / USA / Israel and several other countries – if you need some data thrown on whilst roaming in Europe – if you want to pay only £9 for fone insurance – then click on the link 3 above.

I have deal with someone via email from EE, they are very good. Happy to pass you his name and email…

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Cityprofessional
    Quite agree regarding Three Feel At Home.
    I’m very happy with my iPhone 4S (I’m not madly keen having the latest in everything) I’ve downgraded my monthly plan to a sim only deal saving a couple of hundred pounds a year while giving me the coverage I need.

rferguson
    Participant

Guys….loving my Three Feel At Home service and definitely have zero plans on switching from them.

My bills have reduced by two thirds. Coverage has been fantastic both in the UK and abroad. Drop outs have been nil.

If you spend a lot of time in any of the countries covered I highly recommend it. It is just amazing for me to land in the US, switch on my phone and continue using it as I would at home.

mkcol74
    Participant

Precisely what rferguson said!

£13.90 per month & I’m laughing in most countries I will travel to anyway!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Only problem for me with the 3 Feel at home service, is the overseas calls are only one way…. I need a service that includes international calls FROM the UK as well…

EE remains the best option (I believe) if you need international calls “both ways”…. so to speak….

cityprofessional
    Participant

Hi, thanks @MartynSinclair, but you only get international minutes if paying £37+ per month, and the country coverage doesn’t hit the ones I want. Outbound calls only is fine, because inbound can go to voicemail (I use Hullomail, which is free), and then I can call back. And both EE and Truphone are extortionately expensive outside their primary coverage countries, so they are a no-go!

I could go back to just buying a throwaway SIM on landing, but it seems silly to buy one for each country, and the best rates are never available on those. I just want one international SIM with one pool of minutes/data for everywhere (or most places) outside the UK

Would a Three pre-pay/PAYG SIM purely for use outside the UK do that for me?!

mkcol74
    Participant

@Cityprofessional – ultimately depends if their Feel At Home countries cover where you’re looking for!

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sweden, Sri Lanka, Switzerland & USA are the countries currently included.

midorosan
    Participant

Suggest you switch off before you land as your phone will be connecting to the local provider before you step off the plane.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls