How do you avoid extortionate mobile roaming charges?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

• Anonymous

Dear readers,

We are researching a feature on mobile roaming and data charges and would be interested to know how you avoid generating massive bills when you are overseas?

Have any of you tried using wifi hotspots like MiFi or Goodspeed?

What about local or international SIM cards like GeoSIM, Nowroam or RiteSIM?

Or apps like Boingo, Tru or Plingm?

If so are they any good? How convenient/easy to use are they? How much money have they saved you?

Or perhaps you use none of the above and simply log-on to free wifi wherever possible, or expense it all to your company and be done with it?

Any insights would be received with great interest

MartynSinclair
    Participant

First job is now to turn voicemail off on mobile – anyone wants me, they can text or whatsapp me or i see missed number

Second job is make sure Skype is working

On arrival, slip a local sim card (from my collection) into spare phone or buy a PAYG sim

Sure you will get lots of other tips and ideas and we will all hopefully learn something new.

canucklad
    Participant

Agree with Martyn.

First danger / hurdle to get over is switching the damn thing off.

i have no doubt that the mobile phone companies delibrately set this trap. Having received a contract BB ferom my beloved for my birthday I had left stone age at last

I knew that I needed to switch off something. Went into settings and turned my Wifi off. After an hour in DXB. Ping. O2 advise me I’ve spent £20 already.

Phone immiedately switched off. On arrival in HK, my mate shows me the hidden data roaming switch !

Preying on the stupid!

DoorsToManual
    Participant

As soon as you land…switch of Data Roaming. Before I learnt this I once had a bill for over £750 for a week in the USA. Skype or iChat both work well but in certain countries they are banned (Oman). The whole ‘local SIM’ card is good to save money on outgoing calls but I find telling people ALL the different numbers for different trips only confuses them. Vodaphone seem to have a good International calling package and the phone even rings with a UK ringtone to your callers, so they don’t know that you’re abroad!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

“As soon as you land…switch of Data Roaming” – unless you are with T Mobile who sell a bundle to cover roaming charges for data whilst overseas (well covers Asia and USA) for £15 per month. Welll worth it so I get all emails and whatsapp messages with no worry about cost.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s a good idea to turn off data roaming altogether. As soon as you land with the rush to get off the plane, get through immigration etc this simple act may pass you buy and before you know it you’ve racked up a large data roaming bill.

In my case I have 4 SIM cards. One for Switzerland, one for the UK (Virgin), a Portuguese one and a South African one. The Portuguese one has the lowest roaming tariffs in the EU and that’s the one I use when traveling in the EU apart from the UK. The credit remains valid for a year whether used or not, but continues to remain valid if a top up is made. It’s then valid again for another year.

On top of this I use a service called Operator One as well as a calling card. This way we have cut our mobile phone bills by at least 60% so it’s certainly cost effective.

theworldtraveller
    Participant

in addition to the above, HulloMail is a great free app – you get your voicemail as a data fine when you get onto wifi abroad, so it is then free to listen to.

Be aware that o2 will charge you for the part of the call when the caller leaves your message outside Europe (think Vodafone don’t). I suppose you could divery all calls to this voicemail before you leave the UK

Truphone is another good calling app, about c.2p/min to call a landline anywhere (when your on wifi of course)

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is there a significant difference to Truphone and Skype.

Can blackberry owners use these types of calling facilites……?

SwissExPat
    Participant

I have started to use “Viber” app and hence use wi fi in hotel room

stevescoots
    Participant

data roaming off, it takes nothing to switch back on to grab mail.

if in aplace very frequently in my case china and hK then a have a local number.

other than that its Skype, whattsapp etc

katestaley
    Participant

Hi,

We offer company’s that travel bespoke mobile roaming tariffs that on average save our clients between 20-50% on their bills, our service is unriavalled. Contact me if you would like more details. http://www.roamingexpert.com

AP_Traveller
    Participant

1) Switch off roaming
    2) Ensure hotel has wifi
    3) Use Skype for any outgoing calls

GordyUK
    Participant

I had this very issue 2 weeks ago when i flew to the states. Those lovely people at orange wanted £175 for 500mb of data. Yeah right!. I could eat through that in a day.

T-Mobile (USA) have recently launched a new unlimited sim which gives unlimited 2G data and unlimited US calls & texts (for an extra $10 it also gave unlimited internaltional texts) which i found ideal!. So basically as i roamed across america, i had all of the above for $60US

As Martyn suggested, i’d set my voicemail to “announce only” and changed the message to essentially say “you can’t leave a message but if its urgent, send a text”.

VintageKrug
    Participant

On hols I’m strict about turning my mobile off.

When overseas for work, I have a “business phone” which remains on, but all the sexy stuff is turned off to avoid racking up extortionate bills.

I have worked with someone who once, unbeknownst to him, racked up a €15,000 bill (for work!) when using a roaming 3G data card overseas. Oops!

Good advice is to be aware of the tariff you’re on and always contact your provider/administrator prior to lengthy trips.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls