How did you choose your FFP? (Academic Survey)

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• jeff1217
    Participant

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student from Buckinghamshire New University, UK, doing research on choice of Frequent Flyer Programs.

The survey is aimed toward those who fly American or are members of American AAdvantage. This will only take 6 minutes of your time.

For discussion, what propelled you towards choosing a particular FFP? I understand that some chooses based on factors such as convenience or benefits.

Many thanks

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Jeff,

I am not an AAdvantage member but I have flown American and credit my points to BA exec club.

However, as a professional statistician, I am confused about your target population here. Why are you asking a general question about people’s choice of FFP but only targeting a particular airline or program? Surely you are going to get a biased set of answers?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Tramor01
    Participant

I agree with Bath_VIP – you seem to be extremely limited in your focus if you are only interested in AA FFP (especially outside the USA)
    I’m a member of One World (BA Gold) and Star Alliance (lifetime gold on SAS) and like Bath_VIP, although a member of the BA FFP, I would mainly fly long haul on Cathay, AA or other One World members, especially long haul.
    Similarly with star, although a member via SAS, much of my flying both long haul and short haul is via other Star Alliance members.
    Does your survey include anything on how a specific FFP’s (in your case AA) dovetail with the benefits accrued from a programme being part of an Alliance
    By the way, there isn’t survey link attached to your post

1 user thanked author for this post.

jeff1217
    Participant

[quote quote=928682]I agree with Bath_VIP – you seem to be extremely limited in your focus if you are only interested in AA FFP (especially outside the USA)

I’m a member of One World (BA Gold) and Star Alliance (lifetime gold on SAS) and like Bath_VIP, although a member of the BA FFP, I would mainly fly long haul on Cathay, AA or other One World members, especially long haul.

Similarly with star, although a member via SAS, much of my flying both long haul and short haul is via other Star Alliance members.

Does your survey include anything on how a specific FFP’s (in your case AA) dovetail with the benefits accrued from a programme being part of an Alliance

By the way, there isn’t survey link attached to your post[/quote]

Here’s the link if I am not breaking any rules.

If the link function doesn’t work then here it is plain: https://forms.gle/Mwngs9ecTP3AyFiv5

I’ve done a little bit of research on membership numbers for popular FFPs:
    – SAS Eurobonus: Around 6 million members
    – BA Executive Club: Around 10 million members
    – Cathay Asia Miles: Around 10 million members (Didn’t have a number on Marco Polo Club)
    – AAdvantage/Delta/United: All major US programs have at least 75 million members and with American there’s over 100 million

Thats why I’ve chosen AA granted this isn’t really the right forum for my target audience. It is the first FFP in the world. But the point is you can be in any region traveling anywhere and still sign up to AAdvantage or other FFPs. I forgot the specific figure but Delta has maybe 5 million members in the Asia Pacific region.

I myself am also a member of Eurobonus. Plenty in Europe sign up to Aegean’s FFP because its so lucrative and easy to earn. Just because I’m targeting AA, it doesn’t mean I’m only looking at people who regularly flies AA.

[quote quote=928668]Jeff,

I am not an AAdvantage member but I have flown American and credit my points to BA exec club.

However, as a professional statistician, I am confused about your target population here. Why are you asking a general question about people’s choice of FFP but only targeting a particular airline or program? Surely you are going to get a biased set of answers?[/quote]

I absolutely understand this point and I have thought about this. For scope purposes, it is helpful to limit it somewhat to a target group, otherwise I’d be getting results that aren’t focused at all. Think of it this way, I’m applying a general survey on a specific target group to see how that target group responds. The survey is framed towards 3 groups of people: 1. Flies AA with AAdvantage, 2. Flies AA but not with AAdvantage (such as yourself), 3. Flies others but with AAdvantage. With the more general approach to the survey it means I don’t have to put together 3 different surveys for these 3 groups. Also bear in mind this survey is for an undergraduate level and I am by no means a professional in anything.

Anyways much appreciated for the feedback and insight.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls