How can hotels charge so much for breakfast?

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• flyingbunny
    Participant

Some of the best breakfasts I have had include the ones where they offer real bacon (instead of the awful chewy strips of pig that seems to pass as bacon in many top end hotels) and of course if any hotel that can cook button mushrooms which don’t slide off the plate – so full of water they are – then that would be good to know about. I don’t want to pay so much for breakfast but if it is going to happen then at least have chefs making bespoke egg dishes and table service. The rest are really pushing it.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Sydney has come glorious locations for breakfast, if you step outside yr hotel & walk 5-10 mins.
    From the Hilton, 10 mins will see you at either Circualr Quay, where City Extra overlooks the Harbour with a complete range of breakfast choices, as well as their infamous pancake stacks.

However, Darling Harbour, has about 20 restaurants & cafe’s, sitting outside or in, u are at the edge of Cockle bay – they compete for the best fresh breakfasts, (AU$13.50 incl) & offer some superb veggie options,, as well as fine cured meats & salmons.
    I have an apartment in The Goldsbrough, so always nip down to one of them for breakfast everyday, then take the ferry round to Circular Quay to my office.
    Perfect start to the day…and lunches & dinners if you choose, with many fusion food options.

Otherwise, in Kuala Lumpur, The Mandarin Oriental has every nations breakfast you could imagine or wish, as does the Baiyoke Sky hotel in Bangkok, you walk around the whole floor to have fresh cooked foods.

Not keen on Asia versions of bacon though- “Turkey Bacon”!

But what would be the best Airline breakfast in the Air i wonder?

NTarrant
    Participant

I quite agree with what you say about Darling Harbour Mark, although when I was there last breakfast was in the rate at the Crowne Plaza and very good it was. But it was also windy and wet which is where most hotels score. We certainly didn’t wish to venture out for breakfast in that kind of weather.

When the Holiday Inn on King was the Holiday Inn, in Toronto, we had breakfast there on the first morning and it was not that good and overpriced. So the next day we decided to look around the town (it was sunny) but as it was Sunday everywhere was closed. We saw a guy with a Starbucks cup and asked him where it was to which he asked what were we looking for.

I explained the situation and he said come with me I know a place you will love. He took us to a shopping mall near the station, I think the place was called Litten Tree. You get a swipe card on entry and then find a table. There are many different stations set out like stalls and you can get everything freshly prepared, waffles, steaks, eggs etc, they swipe your card and when you leave you had the card in at the till and you pay for what you have had.

It might have worked out a bit more on a couple of days than the hotel but the choice and freshness was worth it as was the 20 minute walk, but it was summer.

Sadly Mark you will never get to taste the best breakfast in the air as you don’t fly BA! BA Clud Europe breakfast (from LGW and LHR)!

MarcusUK
    Participant

Yes i do agree, Sydney can be a bit raining, but how about David Jones Food Court downstairs, they serve amazing foods, & 3 mins walk from The Hilton? Or The Grace hotel has a great view also & superb breakfast in style…

In flight – I was rather thinking more of Long haul flight , “wake up for breakfast before you land” version.
    Somehow, the simple but healthy foods are always more a treat on board for breakfast, than the finer steamed options. Muesli or cereals with a choice of milks, Croissants & pastries, fresh fruit /Juices. SQ’s great Gourmet coffee’s are a treat.

I did fly BA Club Europe to Budapest last yr, & really didn’t feel it was anything special.
    However, some of the lounges if you have a decent time to spend, such as the Skyteam Lounge at T4, offers really excellent breakfasts.
    Fresh pancakes, bacon rolls, eggs, every aspects of continental, (meats, cheese, fruits, cereals, fish, various breads, youghurts) freshly squeezed juices from the kitchen, great quality Dowe Egberts drinks etc.
    Quick sniff at the Oxygen bar then a mini massage, pretty good start for a morning.
    After this, the walk to the gate & Boarding, i am quite content with a coffee on board.

Have to say though the T4 Re-design makes it quite a spot to sit in the sun at Cafe Rouge & have breakfast, first thing in the morning, made a big difference at the terminal, with BA having left it much less hectic, though a fair few select Airlines , it is also much quieter.

ChesterSimons
    Participant

Whilst the free market exists, one can choose whether to spend $10 or $60 for a breakfast. From my position, what concerns me is the enormous amount of food waste that occurs when hotels have overcooked or over prepared, especially when presenting a grand buffet. It is not simply about throwing the food out, but in some cases reheating food or restocking items that are not meant to be reused. Many hotels, esepcailly those in remote locations, take the view “what the eye cant see”. I am all for “greener ” hotels. not just becasue of energy effeciency but also becasue of the desire to reduce the amount of waste, which could be diverted to better places than garbage.

Regarding the cost of breakfast, wherever possible, I try the following:

1. I try to book direct with hotels, especially last minute reservations. I ask for the rate to include breafast. I have been travelling for long enough to recognise the difference between a good rate and a very good rate. We are constantly amazed by the offers hotels make when calling direct.

2. Brand loyalty always brings benefits. If you are top level brand card holder, breakfast can usually be negotiated.

3. In most city centre hotels (especially in the States), there is generally a coffee shop within walking distance of the hotel. If we are travelling in groups, the savings can reach what for us is considered “signficant”.

4. I cant remember the last hotel I stayed in which doesnt provide tea and coffee in the room. A yoghurt, some fruit, cereal can easily be bought in.

I know a lot of corporates / expense accunt holders (of which I most certainly am one) will view 1 – 4 and say “not for me”. As I said at the start, we live in a free market.

Enjoy your food, enjoy your health!

watersz
    Participant

As most people are staying on biz i can only imajine your company is paying anyway, as mine does

The extortionate price means iI bump myself up to exec level were I can and then breakfast is free in te exec longue or in the package.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls