How can hotels charge so much for breakfast?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

flyingbunny
    Participant

I usually make sure breakfast is included in my hotel stays for business but I have paid anything from £10 up to £25. How can hotel’s get away with charging so much for breakfast? And which hotel’s do the best breakfast?

M.Moose
    Participant

Best breakfast I’ve had so far, Westin Langkawi Resort. It’s got a great spread of variety, both local and international food items. I think they costs about US28 per person.

FlightDoctor
    Participant

The charges can be scary – I had a quick breakfast at the Sofitel at Heathrow recently prior to a business meeting and was charged £22.44 for essentially a continental breakfast buffet. Quality was good but nevertheless a lot for coffee, fruit juice and some toast!

pat_travels
    Participant

worst case I encountered was Sofitel Arc de Triomphe, Paris.
    The breakfast was included in the room rate BUT when I asked for poached eggs on toast at breaky, the waitress stated that would be an extra €9/egg!!! outrageous. Suffice to say I had cheese and yoghurt!!

Binman62
    Participant

They can because you pay it. Stop paying it and they won’t.

Not a breakfast whinge but a bacon butty in the Intercontinental club lounge in Sydney ( best view in the world) costs $24 ( £12.40) for two slices of bread and 2 bacon rashers…….for a child………the napkin was nice though….

KeepDiscovering
    Participant

How can hotels charge so much for breakfast? How can hotels charge so much for internet? How can hotels charge so much for faxes? Because some people need these and they (or their companies) pay for them. The most eye-whopping charge for a breakfast I have ever seen was in Hilton Athens and Abu Dhabi’s Emirates Palace – Around US$55 plus service charge.

NTarrant
    Participant

Try the Hilton next time you are in Sydney Binman, executive lounge has some good views too.

Best hotel breakfast I’ve had is the Hilton Charlemont in Dublin, super quality and spoilt for choice. Generally I find the Hilton chain has a good breakfast, particularly in the UK.

Prices can be too high for what they are and assume that everone is going to gorge themselves silly. All too often, particularly in the US they have a “continental” price and a “hot” price, but have one small hot thing and the price goes up.

I liked the three tier system at the Crowne Plaza in Alice Springs, you could have the bakery selection which gave you toast, pastries and fruit juice at the cheapest price. The continental gave you the bakery plus fruit, cerial and yoghurts. The “full” was all those items plus hot breakfast items. Much fairer system.

VintageKrug
    Participant

While the Hilton Sydney is good, newly renovated property, I have never yet found a view better than enjoying breakfast overlooking the Harbour from the IC Sydney Club Lounge, pictured here:

http://www.lasplash.com/uploads/3/The_InterContnental_Sydney_Hotel_Reviewed.15.jpg

Odd that you were charged for bacon and eggs; that must have been room service as Bacon and eggs are available as part of the standard Club Lounge breakfast buffet.

The Sofitel LHR T5 is the most “rip off” price out there, given the windowless surroundings and the modest offering. It’s a lovely hotel if you have to stay at T5 overnight, but take an apple and wait to buy something from Pret airside.

BlackTower
    Participant

Recently had a rubbish breakfast at Claridges for ca £30. Cold day in hell before I go there again.

Perhaps a bigger issue is overeating at breakfast for me as it costs so much and there is so much on offer……………..

NTarrant
    Participant

Thanks VK, as you say the Hilton Sydney view is good, but looking at that picture the IC is better. I’ll store that to impress the wife next time we go to SYD.

PaulJennings
    Participant

I agree with the premise of this thread. I object to paying a small fortune for a cup of coffee and a sticky bun.

Best breakfasts: in Europe – the St Regis Grand in Rome; in Asia – the Park Hyatt in Tokyo. Both coincidentally film stars.

Inquisitive
    Participant

I have had breakfast at hotels at almost every nook in the world – the best buffet breakfast are at 5 stars hotels in Asia (Thailand, Singapore, KualaLumpur and Tokyo) only. Besides the standard items, the asian hotels provides a lot of extras. At Tokyo, one gets plump cherries and fresh tropical fruits and juices are availbale in most 5 star hotels in Asia. The most important item is cooked items (varity of eggs and other menues) are always available in a buffet breakfast and the chefs meets all demands without any fuss. This service is normally not available in business hotesl in Europe and in US, where it is available, it is at the whims of the chefs (cooks?) as the quality of cooking depends on the how the guest is dressed or the cooks perception how much tips they will get.

TominScotland
    Participant

Interesting thread, folks. I’m an Aberdonian so normally opt for one of two solutions. In Australia, the great value breakfast options outwith the hotels are usually limitless – just on my way back from Hobart (not the biggest of Oz cities) and I counted about 20 options within 5 minutes of the main downtown hotel, offering the full works (plus great views of the harbour) for about A$10-15. Alternatively, as I am not keen on that much first thing, I generally travel with my muesli and a plastic bown and cutlery in my luggage, buy fresh fruit and milk locally, add coffee I bring with me as well and am as happy as Larry with that. Not so sociable if travelling with colleagues and certainly not recommended for a business breakfast but it works for me.

Failing all that, the best hotel breakfast I have had was at Shangri-la’s Mactan Resort in Cebu, Philippines – heavenly view, relaxed service and endless choice. Reasonably priced too if I remember correctly.

ElleVipond2010
    Participant

If your ever travelling up to West Yorkshire or Bradford theres a great hotel called The Lister ran by two sisters. Fantastic hospitality, great location-looks over award winning park-Lister Park.
    There are also basket ball and tennis courts just over the road so great for a little exercise to! Rooms start from £49.50 and always includes a continental breakfast. You can ask for a hearty English Breakfast for £4.95pp. Its also got great conference facilties and even lets you use the remote for the tv in the lounge area!! Fantastic stay would definately recommend it to anyone passing through! Theres a blog about the rooms with prices, testimonials etc! http://hubpages.com/hub/Selection-of-bedrooms-available-at-The-Lister-Hotel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls