How busy is Heathrow/Gatwick? Is anyone actually travelling…?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Yesterday, on the last leg of our journey home from Singapore, off the back of a cancelled holiday in Vietnam due to border closures, this BA LGW-ALC was fully booked with 190 passengers or should I say 190 ticketed passengers. As the doors were closed there were 140 no shows whihc surprised the flight crew!! The return leg they wer also showing full and were confident it would be full given the exodus from Spain

Alsacienne
    Participant

I think you’ll have to replan any Kenyan sector. No entry for travellers coming from a country with Coronavirus … and entry only for Kenyan citizens or those non-Kenyan nationals holding residency certificates. This is unlikely to be lifted at the time of your travel. (Source DS who holds residency permit for work purposes.)

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=994071][/postquote]

I cancelled mine several days ago when Kenyan Govt announced the changes. Ditto Mauritius.

Better to stay in UK for now.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Not withstanding repatriation flights and getting passengers home – also I have re read the BT article linked below.

Coronavirus: What UK airports are doing to keep us safe

but I continue to be shocked when I look at the London Heathrow arrivals board to see who’s flying and who’s not. Especially flights landing from HIGH RISK areas (such as Italy and Iran), where the UK view is let ’em in as it takes another 14 days for any virus to show.

Boris has locked the country down (which I endorse 100%), but until the same can be said about our borders and checking who is coming in unchecked, it all seems pointless. I recall the Spanish turning flights from the UK around mid flight.

I accept this is a very sensitive subject, but the one piece of good news today is Wuhan appears to be relaxing its lock down after 3 months. I think we would consider it a result if the UK were to achieve the same.

IMHO – the lock down needs to be more severe…. and taken very seriously by all….

Ah,Mr.Bond
    Participant

Arrived in LGW the other morning at 1100h from Cancun. I had to buy a one way ticket as stuck in CUN as couldn’t travel back on original AA ticket, will I get my USD1000 back from insurance for this???.. another story!
    ……Anyhow, It was as if that was the only flight arrival that day – both at immigration gates,the baggage belt and the Southern Train to London.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Terminal 5 airside this afternoon!

91191586_10223344785556626_8553453616529145856_o

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-gatwick-to-close-north-terminal-as-flights-dwindle-11964475

At last, action being taken!

Am still shocked when I look at Flight Radar 24, especially NYC-LON.

Repatriation flights are a very sensitive issue but it is getting to the stage where anybody entering the UK has to be be managed..

If 2 high profile people HRH Prince Charles and PM Johnson can catch it, with all the protection and ‘cotton wool’ around them, this has to be taken far more seriously..

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

I agree with your point about how serious it is that airports are still open etc etc, but I am not sure that your comment about the two high profile figures catching the virus is a relevant cause and effect.

These two VIPs are surrounded by people all day – in my view they (and others in a similar position) are more likely to catch the virus than the rest of us because the nature of their jobs prevents them from standing away from others.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ASK1945

[quote quote=994853]These two VIPs are surrounded by people all day – in my view they (and others in a similar position) are more likely to catch the virus than the rest of us because the nature of their jobs prevents them from standing away from others.[/quote]

Thanks for the perspective – makes perfect sense.

G S from HA8..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Moving away from UK’s quarantine discussions and keeping with the theme of getting the economy moving, I know most of the talk is about the summer holiday economy, mainly to Spain, Italy and Greece.

Moving to the world of commerce and longhaul travel, is there anywhere that UK nationals can currently travel to, without the need of 14 days strict quarantine? I know parts of the Caribbean are opening their 5 star resorts for passengers arriving in PJ’s, but is there anywhere else UK nationals can currently go, longhaul?

first_class_please
    Participant

Martyn, this may help:-

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000313][/postquote]

I wonder what there is to do in Libya at this time of year?

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1000313][/postquote]

Well there’s always Mexico or Serbia, also.

The Sahara’s a little too hot at this time of the year.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My boy collected a friend arriving from Estonia, from Zurich Airport yesterday. He told me it was deserted and apparently the flight was barely a third full!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1000317]I wonder what there is to do in Libya at this time of year?[/quote]

Will await your trip report Simon…

[quote quote=1000325]The Sahara’s a little too hot at this time of the year.[/quote]

Now there’s a place I would consider, especially between September 18th and 28th this year, the marathon des sables – been on my bucket list … if only I was 20 years younger…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls