How busy is Heathrow/Gatwick? Is anyone actually travelling…?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Reading a lot about cancelling / changing flights, but has anyone been through Heathrow in the past few days? How busy is the airport in terms of passenger numbers?

I have currently zero flight bookings and personally, trying not to use even the underground (London based).

Are there there any regular travellers out there who are still flying to meetings?

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m still more or less on track. Currently in uk, meetings in London as planned, and intending to fulfill trips to Dubai, Kenya and Mauritius in 2 weeks time depending on the restrictions at the time.

fatbear
    Participant

A report on the BBC today mentioned T2 being errily quite, apart from the LOT flight, where people were trying to get home before restrictions come in tomorrow.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Away to be considerably quieter from Monday . .

rodders
    Participant

Martyn
    I arrived at T5 on Thursday morning, admittedly it was 05.10 but was v quiet indeed…
    I had been through T5 last weekend (Fri evening and Sunday morning) and also on the quiet side…the shape of things to come for a while.
    My trip next week to Namibia and S Africa has been cancelled.
    Stay safe

Diplomat_BSB
    Participant

I flew LHR-MAD last Sunday. T5 was busy, but not packed. I arrived this morning at T3 from MIA around 7:30 and it was also relatively busy. My flight from MIA was packed.

richardofFrancepp
    Participant

Saturday 14 March. Kigali to Gatwick.

Arrived LGW around 1600 get. Arrivals empty, passport gates all working.

Then baggage, waited about 35 minutes, baggage hall still very empty.

A very quiet airport. But why such a long wait for luggage?

jwhite9185
    Participant

I flew out of/into Heathrow this weekend. Didn’t seem any different to usual really. In fact, T2 early on Saturday was maybe a little busier than I’ve experienced in the past.

Vienna, Athens and Munich were equally as busy as usual.

I suspect things may change in the coming weeks, but at the moment not much is different.Even the flights I took were reasonably full.

Smathias
    Participant

Flew lgw-agp Sunday morning just after Spanish government decree….we were the only people in the BA First lounge, more staff than guests!
    Flight capacity for nearly 200, only 28 passengers!

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Not LHR, but in transit at CDG yesterday afternoon en route from Quito to UK. Eerily quiet, all shops closed, except for food/drink outlets, but luckily (3 hr transfer) the AF lounge in 2E K gates was open, but again very quiet. Catering staff were serving most food rather than self-service, but self service for drinks and food items on individual trays.
    Security and e-passport controls had limited staff but no delays because of low pax numbers, staff were limiting people joining security scanning lines to keep people separated as much as possible.

Flight from Quito to CDG was full, seemed some pax had brought their flight dates forward, purser asked me if I had done so or not.

High awareness of Covid 19 in Ecuador, all food/drink outlets insisted on dispensing hand gel on arrival/departures, lots of people wearing masks when I left, advisory posters everywhere, even had a temperature check in Quito on day of departure

When I arrived BHX there was nothing, no warning posters, no hand gels, even worse my arrival was shortly after an EK380, passport control at BHX were herding people through with no thought on separation at all, complete contrast with CDG and UIO airports.

On arrival at BHX you could be forgiven for thinking that there was no Covid-19 crisis in UK, large groups in baggage reclaim and outside awaiting onward transportation.

2 users thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

CX are saying LHR (or at least, I assume, T3, from where they fly) is very congested and advise arriving at least 3-4 hours before departure…

CheerUp
    Participant

Went to CX lounge on Sat 14th AM, completely dead. Terminal 3 itself was considerably quieter.
    Flew back from HEL yesterday (17/03) and I do not exaggerate here, I was the only person in the AY lounge. J cabin had a total of 4 passengers (A330) with an extremely limited service (bottle water and Rye bread). Although after talking to Cabin Crew, they were full on return.

travelworld2
    Participant

I’m astonished that anyone would think of getting on an aircraft anywhere at the moment save to return home or in respect of an emergency (of which work is not one).

alainboy56
    Participant

@Travelworld2

Chance would be a fine thing.

I was booked to fly to Abu Dhabi from Riyadh last Friday 13th.
    Maybe my choice of day/date was ominous as my flight was cancelled 36 hrs earlier and now all int’l travel has been stopped.

I am one of 11 people only staying in my hotel, (most of us regular patrons), one of the lifts has been taken out of service, the Reception is partly in darkness, Gym and Laundry sealed, the Restaurant has also been closed, there is no breakfast and dinner is by room service only.

Now I am blocked in the Holy Kingdom – what did I do to deserve this??
    There is a whisper that soon they will close the bar too!
    And that will really send me over the edge!

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=993860][/postquote]

Time to raid the bar for some bottles, alainboy!! Good luck.

With her university essentially shutting down, Senior Offspring has agreed to return to HK and will get here on Saturday (Junior Offspring arrives today) and we will then all be self-isolating at home for two weeks. Which will bring us closer together as a family, or lead to extensive murder charges!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls