Hotels in Muscat

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• esselle
    Participant

I managed to get two seats in F on BA for November, using Avios and Amex 241, to Muscat.

Have never been there before but would now appreciate any guidance on hotels.

Luxury and great food, together with interesting diversions are the objectives, and I am down to the Chedi, Al Bustan, or Shangri La Al Husn.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Esselle – personally I would go for one of the latter two. Al Bustan is a standalone hotel while the Shang is part of a small complex of hotels.

I visited both while staying at the Grand Hyatt last year. GH was absolutely fine, but if you are looking for top notch luxury / restaurants, your suggestions are on the right track.

Definitely my favourite destination in the ME. So much more authentic than its near neighbours.

esselle
    Participant

Thank you AlanOrtan1. Leaning heavily towards Shangri La.

Andrew66
    Participant

We have stayed at Al Husn about 3 years ago in September , it was extremely hot and humid , but November would be perfect , the pool area which is exclusive to guests only in Al Husn is superb , service and sunbeds , cabanas ,cool box with drinks and cool spray spritzer are top quality and the infinity pool is great for relaxing , due to the heat while we were there we mainly just relaxed .
    The rooms were very nice and the breakfast in the Sultanah restaurant was really first class , the best we have experienced anywhere .
    The hotel did seem a fair distance from the main town and you would have to make an effort to view attractions such as the Mosque , but we found the hotel perfect for a relaxing time .
    I think they also have an area for turtle hatching / viewing depending on time of the year ?
    We were actually looking at booking Muscat this November and I saw the availability of F seats , but have decided to hold our Amex voucher in hand and booked a simple holiday instead , the flights are now direct and better timing than when via AUH .

FDOS_UK
    Participant

You have some top notch advice, esselle.

I’ll just add that Oman is a great place and I second Alan Orton’s comments about authenticity.

Whilst I haven’t stayed in the Shangri La Al Husn, I have stayed in the Shangri La in Abu Dhabi a few times and it delivered a perfect guest experience, in every way.

Dominic Ellis
    Participant

All good choices. Shangri-La resort certainly has a wow factor, framed by sea and mountains, but it’s a large resort (despite dividing in three), Al Bustan Palace (Ritz-Carlton) has that established/solid reputation and the Chedi is popular for its distinctive chic boutique feel. If you’re a Marriott Rewards/SPG member, note the Sheraton Muscat has reopened following a lengthy absence, and I enjoyed staying there recently, although it’s in a different district (Ruwi); it’s around a half-hour walk or short drive to the souks and Corniche if you’re looking for a local flavour.

esselle
    Participant

Thanks to all for the advice. Have gone for the Al Husn.

Regards

Cloud-9
    Participant

I thoroughly recommend taking a taxi for a day and exploring some of the country. A very scenic and safe place.

I was there last year and got a fabulous driver who charged just US$200 for a wonderful day out.

He was that rare thing: a person who enjoys overseas travel

alainboy56
    Participant

@ esselle – I can also offer my ‘twopennyworth’ – I lived in Oman for 3 years in the eighties and now live next door so I do go back from time to time. You must visit, Nizwa and Tanuf, of course if time allows, also a 2 days/one night visit to my ‘old stomping ground’ Salalah.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls