Hotels.com Reward changing and devalued

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

• FDOS
    Participant

The Hotels.com Rewards scheme has served me well for many years, providing a ‘free’ hotel night for every 10 qualifiying purchases. This was calculated on the payment (less taxes) made and was approximately 10% of the mean price of the nights purchased. So 10 bookings @£100 (net) = £100 voucher.

The new OneKey scheme gives from a terrible 2% (net of taxes) for people without status to 6% for the new platinum tier (equivalent to the old gold tier)

The publicity straplibe states “One Key is arriving in the UK in a few months¹ and it’s going to change the way you travel.” It certainly will, for me, I’ll be taking a more forensic view on the best deal and expect my business with the Expedia group to plummet.

More details here

https://uk.hotels.com/one-key?pos=HCOM_UK&locale=en_GB&EMLCID=HCOM-GB.MKT.ACTV.2e93c3d6a25b8b5e7b53701d0ac34dfe.EML&EMLDTL=DATE20240408-LANGEN_GB.TESTX.VERSX.CAT01G250&cta=okfaq.lnk&rfrr=AB.5037.1

4 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

FDOS, thanks for advisng this.

I did get the same email but hadn’t time to read it properly. A quick calculation now shows that you are absolutely correct. The new “One Key” rewards for me as a Silver member are worth only 20% of previously. This announcement explains why I couldn’t find a way of using my stored Rewards in Florida, next year. Actually, I booked a Hilton instead as, being an “Honors” member, it proved more advantageous.

I am about to book a hotel for this June and am able to use all the four Rewards nights I have in credit, with a big saving.

I think Expedia are making a big mistake with this change, as they will lose their advantage over Booking.com and the hotel groups.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Well there will be a gap in the market for a son of hotels.com, and I will be there like a flash of it is filed!

ASK1945
    Participant

Cwyfan – I think the withdrawal of Hotels.com Rewards scheme with an inferior replacement (dressed up as an improvement, which it isn’t) explains the current improvements in the IHG and Hilton ones – possibly there are others also.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Cwyfan
    Participant

Interesting as I have been Hilton diamond for over 25 years, and only use(d) hotels.com when not staying there anyway.

ASK1945
    Participant

Thanks Cwfan. I stayed for two weeks at a Hilton in the Caribbean earlier this year. I matched Hotels.com against my Hilton Honors (membership level) and seniority. I found it a better deal with Hotels.com, bearing in mind the Rewards credits, based on my upper level room – so I booked with them.

Likewise, I am a Gold member in IHG – I used to be top level Platinum Elite before I retired, and so was usually given a suite when available for no extra cost of a standard room. However, since retirement, when my level dropped, I have always cross-matched Hotels.com against IHG before booking, as sometimes Hotels.com is better.

Cwyfan
    Participant

As I almost without exception get a loyalty upgrade, it is usually a no-brainer for me to go direct with Hilton.

Cwyfan
    Participant

I have 4 bookings in October that it would seem I should now be considering alternative ways to book, as they almost certainly will be outside the window of change dates.

I guess I will not be alone in doing this, so at least thanks to hotels.com for the notice!

MarkCymru
    Participant

I’ve been using hotels.com as my principal booking portal since the end of the pandemic. Not only will the value of the rewards go down dramatically, there will be a flood of new top tier members because flights and car rentals now help achieve status, so the chances of upgrades at VIP access properties will decrease (It’s been pretty good until now)

I’ve had Diamond for years, but I’ve seen the value of HHonors really go down. I rarely get useful upgrades these days (being upgraded to a room with an extra bed in Dublin Airport, for my solo overnight stay before an early flight, is an example of not meaningful!). The free breakfast is good but doesn’t make up for the rest and I get Gold anyway from my Amex card. The final straw was asking, as a Diamond member, for 3pm checkout and being told 1pm was the best they could do; I then offered to pay and was told that 4pm was fine if I came up with $50. I think, though, I’ll go back and I might see if IHG has got better too.

Cwyfan
    Participant

I just had a thought about my bookings. When they were made the screen said that I would get a credit for a 10% loyalty reward night when I actually stayed, so I assume all existing bookings, even those with stays after a future change over date are contractually bound to honour this.

ASK1945
    Participant

Cwyfan – I also made a booking for 8 nights, using 4 Rewards Nights as part payment, after the announcement. This booking showed that I would get 4 Rewards points towards the needed 10 for one Rewards Night, after my stay.

Unfortunately, I won’t reach the necessary 10 before the new system comes into place as I will only have a total of 7.

Cwyfan
    Participant

That is interesting that it still said it on your booking screen after the announcement.

That appears to imply that at least until the actual date is announced, the loyalty bonus will still apply to any bookings made on or before the announcement date at worst, and may even not kick in as a change until the actual change over date is reached.

That would imply the existing loyalty bonus would still be earned for all such bookings.

Anybody know the legal position on this type of issue?

FDOS
    Participant

I have just sent a message to Hotels.com

“Hi There

I’ve reviewed the new program and it is a disaster for me, with greatly reduced benefits.

Therefore, I will be migrating my bookings away, to other providers.

So far, I have cancelled about 10 nights and eventually this will reach about 50.

I respect your company’s right to change these types of programs, but will also take the necessary steps to deal with the consequences.

After many years of Gold status, it is a shame, but Hotels.com is replaceable.

Kind regards”

Not expecting a reply.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

For those that value upgrades, I find Bonvoy if you can reach at least Platinum status is very useful, almost always an upgrade and free breakfast at most hotels as well as club lounge access to properties that have.

ASK1945
    Participant

FDOS – to what address did you write? I couldn’t find a sensible one on the Hotels.com website.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls