Hotels Chennai and Hyderabad

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• George
    Participant

I will be in both cities for 3 or 4 days in April. I prefer heritage type hotels,with some old-world charm, rather than international chains. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I have not been to either city before.

Inquisitive
    Participant

You can try Taj Connemara hotel in Chennai. I stayed there a few years back and it has lovely charms and service.
    For Hyderabad you can try Taj Falaknuma. I have not stayed there (way above my budget) but heard from others that this hotel is exquisite in all aspects.

1 user thanked author for this post.

PrakashMehta
    Participant

Chennai: I stayed at the Leela Palace Hotel in Chennai last month and was quite happy with it. The deluxe room I had was fairly large with a good view of the sea. The breakfast spread was substantial and service efficient. I also had dinner (a 13 course traditional meal) at the Avartana restaurant at the ITC Grand Chola Hotel and would very highly recommend it (You can also consider the hotel for a stay). As mentioned by Inquisitive, Taj Connemara is a fine hotel too.

Hyderabad: Haven’t been to Hyderabad recently, but Taj Faluknama is by far the top hotel there (if it fits in your budget). The others you may want to consider are Taj Deccan on Banjara Hills (a nice area to be in) and ITC Kakatiya Hyderabad. If you are near the HITEC City, then options could be ITC Kohenur or the Trident.

Both cities have the international chain hotels as well, but haven’t mentioned them here.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Nick
    Participant

As the architect for the conversion of Taj Falakanuma Palace in Hyderabad from an abandoned (for 50 years) ‘palace’ into a beautiful (look at the photographs on the Taj web-site) hotel I confirm that it is an exquisite property – but then I am (obviously!) biased.

If you DO visit (you can go for just a meal but I think you have to telephone in advance) and if he still works there, ask for Mr Prabaker – who used to be with the security staff who protected the building prior to and during the 10-year (another story!) renovation – to give you a tour of the palace; he knows the history of the building better than anyone. Tell him “Mr Nick” the Architect sends his regards!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls