Hotel loyalty

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Since I typically stay more than 180 hotel nights per year, I have been Top Tier with many groups over the past few years. I am currently Hilton Diamond, Calrson Concierge, Marriott Platinum.
    There is no doubt that the benefits have been erroded over the years across the board (as with the airlines).

My thoughts, below:

Marriott – Generally very good at top tier (not so good in the UK, I have found) however, the difference between Gold (50 nights) & Platinum (75 nights) is minimal (considering the spend difference of additional approx $5,500 to reach Plat). Upgrades, wifi, breakfast etc seems to happen the same at Gold level so I’m not sure that an additional 25 nights really makes any difference?
    Breakfast voucher is for 2 people at full service properties & should be taken in the Exec lounge but some places allow use of the restaurant.

Hilton – Excellent program. Upgrade almost every time when Diamond. Not so much when Gold. Breakfast and wifi included and in a lot of Hilton properties where wifi is comped anyway, free parking.
    Breakfast is for 1 person & should be taken in the exec lounge but some places allow the restaurant to be used.

Carlson (was Radisson) – For me, the best program of all. Concierge treated extremely well at most locations. Room upgraded to Business Class 95% of the time (estimated), free breakfast, free wifi and other special ‘tokens of appreciation’
    Breakfast is for the card holder only but many full service properties have allowed both guests to dine free of charge – a notable exception being the Mayfair in London who were strict to the point of rudeness.

Accor – Complete rubbish, even at Platinum. Room upgrade Once in 2 years – no recognition, nothing. €40 Vouchers in Euros almost worthless since thay had to be used against a room which typically cost €20 more than the lowest priced room &, when they were converted into Sterling, the exchange rate they used meant the voucher lost 1/3 of it’s value.. I ditched them more than 2 year ago yet they still write to me without ever once asking why I no longer stay with them (Tesco Clubcard was a great idea based around customer loyalty – pity the hotels are not savvy enough to use the information that their loylaty cards proffer).

ICHG – Was Platinum for 13 years but ditched them after months and months of zero recognition – not a thing – zero, ever.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

SPG Platinum – I find the benefits excellent and the recognition fantastic, especially when I arrive at a hotel and one of the managers offers to take me to dinner in one of the signature restaurants. Upgrade to suites, when travelling alone is not a priority, but being near the exec lounge is – having the mini bar filled with my favourite drinks, being on a high floor and having the curtains wide open to let the sun in are all on my profile and generally SPG hotels get it right 95% of the time. I always like to meet the GM’s to say thank you.

Lately though, there have been some cracks in SPG communications.

Leading Hotels of the World Group – just started with LHW and my experience so far has been excellent. The benefits already being awarded, free breakfast / wifi / late checkout have been very gratefully received.

I am very happy to be loyal when receiving the benefits I do…

1nfrequent
    Participant

I’ve got to say that I find Accor great. As a gold and platinum I’ve had upgrades on 90% of my hotel stays and I’ve never had problems in using the vouchers but maybe it depends on geographical location (I’ve heard that Australia and the Far East seem to opt out more).

I was Hyatt platinum but they don’t have a geographical reach that works for me.

Recently though I re-evaluated my hotel loyalty schemes thanks to my employer deciding it wanted to focus on using Premier Inns and Travel Lodges so best value for me is to book through hotels.com – it’s on cashback websites and the free night calculation offers real savings on my stays.

1F

MarcusGB
    Participant

Over the last few years, hotels have decreased points earned,
    when staying, and increased the points needed for free nigh stays, or that contribute to program tier status. Just as the Airlines are doing so now. This has been the case with Hilton, SPG to name a few, but actually one more reliable and generous for me , is The Accor group.

I hold an Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold.

I have rarely used hotels points for free night stays, with the exception of Accor, that you can use 2,000 points for £40 or E40, towards a bill upgrade, and transfer them to miles. Accor are very good at increasing bonus promotions, earning double or triple stays, or a set number of points. Accor are heavy on specials, bonuses, and extra perks at every level and budget, worldwide.

Many hotels are being upgraded and the IBIS especially has had a great makeover with bright ,very comfortable rooms, localised food, and a sincere welcome. They are investing heavily at this time, and their brands have become more contemporary, and at a price other programs simply do ot reach.

So many times i have had a £40 as a part of my miles (awarded as points), which could be for a £250 or a £50 stay. Often there are extra miles, and private member sales, and they cover more worldwide.

Their share price has shot up recently as revenue increased 70% in the last year. They have had a new CEO, and he has been disposing of property, and easing out the brand, hence liquidity is high, and they have nothing to lose if a franchisee has high or low occupancy.It also means they have been able to re-brand the Ibis Chain, and other brands within their group.

This is a very clever strategy, and having a brand lo 2 star up to 5 * Sofitel, they can cater for every budget.
    There are many prime locations in Asia, china where they are expanding rapidly, and you find the brand moe and more now.

I always find a warm welcome, a pre-prepared upgrade with welcome gifts, a welcome drink, Club access, and the points rarely fail to be on the account within 48hrs.

No matter where i go, the recognition, welcome, upgrades and perks await. In many other groups they have to be asked for, or are not available. Like Airlines stretching us so thinly with awards much harder to earn, they also give less away for free nights.

So, also due to the range, a growing presence in Asia, a long well established presence in Australasia, i stick with them,and like their strategy and very great ranges, fresh, and innovative. The brands are especially reliable in them being to the same design or standard each Region and Hotel

But the perks / points i use for the awaiting upgrades, and perks of received at yr welcome, which can include early check ins 9am, to late check outs 4pm.
    Always very useful and reliable, for early flights in and late out.

Though i always try to build up a good relationship with my regular hotels, for that extra special warmth both ways, and fostering of good business. Holding cards or not, this gains much value and you get better looked after. But it is essential to book through their website within your account, so they flag up when you are coming, and their systems all click into place for you.
    Many now will not offer the perks, or rewards unless the booking is made with them directly.

I agree with others on debating this in the past, the best programs are when you arrive, and the perks you are offered., rather than saving for free nights, so the tier level is more beneficial during your stay, that seeing what you can do with the points after.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Over the last few years, hotels have decreased points earned,
    when staying, and increased the points needed for free nigh stays, or that contribute to program tier status. Just as the Airlines are doing so now. This has been the case with Hilton, SPG to name a few, but actually one more reliable and generous for me , is The Accor group.

I hold an Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold.

I have rarely used hotels points for free night stays, with the exception of Accor, that you can use 2,000 points for £40 or E40, towards a bill upgrade, and transfer them to miles. Accor are very good at increasing bonus promotions, earning double or triple stays, or a set number of points. Accor are heavy on specials, bonuses, and extra perks at every level and budget, worldwide.

Many hotels are being upgraded and the IBIS especially has had a great makeover with bright ,very comfortable rooms, localised food, and a sincere welcome. They are investing heavily at this time, and their brands have become more contemporary, and at a price other programs simply do ot reach.

So many times i have had a £40 as a part of my miles (awarded as points), which could be for a £250 or a £50 stay. Often there are extra miles, and private member sales, and they cover more worldwide.

Their share price has shot up recently as revenue increased 70% in the last year. They have had a new CEO, and he has been disposing of property, and easing out the brand, hence liquidity is high, and they have nothing to lose if a franchisee has high or low occupancy.It also means they have been able to re-brand the Ibis Chain, and other brands within their group.

This is a very clever strategy, and having a brand lo 2 star up to 5 * Sofitel, they can cater for every budget.
    There are many prime locations in Asia, china where they are expanding rapidly, and you find the brand moe and more now.

I always find a warm welcome, a pre-prepared upgrade with welcome gifts, a welcome drink, Club access, and the points rarely fail to be on the account within 48hrs.

No matter where i go, the recognition, welcome, upgrades and perks await. In many other groups they have to be asked for, or are not available. Like Airlines stretching us so thinly with awards much harder to earn, they also give less away for free nights.

So, also due to the range, a growing presence in Asia, a long well established presence in Australasia, i stick with them,and like their strategy and very great ranges, fresh, and innovative. The brands are especially reliable in them being to the same design or standard each Region and Hotel

But the perks / points i use for the awaiting upgrades, and perks of received at yr welcome, which can include early check ins 9am, to late check outs 4pm.
    Always very useful and reliable, for early flights in and late out.

Though i always try to build up a good relationship with my regular hotels, for that extra special warmth both ways, and fostering of good business. Holding cards or not, this gains much value and you get better looked after. But it is essential to book through their website within your account, so they flag up when you are coming, and their systems all click into place for you.
    Many now will not offer the perks, or rewards unless the booking is made with them directly.

I agree with others on debating this in the past, the best programs are when you arrive, and the perks you are offered., rather than saving for free nights, so the tier level is more beneficial during your stay, that seeing what you can do with the points after.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I will add that with SPG, availability of free nights with points and upgrades are good.

For the past 2 years, I have been to Nice at the end of July, non business and used points for 4 nights + suite upgrade vouchers… saved significant amounts of money…..

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Martyn – I must take a look at SPG – seems interesting.

MartinJ
    Participant

Three years ago I turned my back on hotel loyalty programmes. Not only do I save money and hassle by staying in hotels that are next door to tomorrow morning’s meetings and paying less overall, I also feel liberated. No more figuring out how I can twist my trip so that I can stay in a Hilton, Marriott etc. No more chasing triple points promotions. Good riddance to my miffed ego because I wasn’t upgraded. I am free! Next up for the chop are airline programmes but I am still too much of an addict of those perks. But devaluations of all major programmes are pushing me close ….

Bath_VIP
    Participant

For me, Hotels.com works best as I get the benefit of free nights without being tied to a specific chain.

jazzcharley
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller: I have to disagree with you about Accor. I’m platinum there, and stay regularly in Novotels. In the one I use most, I’m welcomed at the front door as I walk in, with my room key, drink voucher, and free (fast) wifi vouchers. I never have to actually ‘check in’ formally. I get a room upgrade every time, with extra treats in the room.

The week before Christmas, I arrived in my room to find they’d given me a complimentary bottle of Taittinger as a thank you for staying so often.

I convert every point I earn to BA Avios (it’s 2 Accor points for 1 Avios). I’ve not ever used them as discount vouchers for booking rooms. Whenever my wife & I go away somewhere I try to stay in an Accor hotel if possible. I book and pay for the cheapest room deal, because I know I’ll get automatically upgraded. The nice treatment, without exception, no matter what class of hotel I’m staying in, makes Plat status definitely worth having.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls