Hong Kong transit advice

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• peter19
    Participant

Hi all, Looking for some advice. I’m travelling into HKG on Singapore airlines business but have a BA flight 11 hours later that day. It’s 2 separate tickets as I booked a BA 2-4-1 (J) on the HKG depart. Is there any way I can get the bags dropped and spend time in cx lounges opposed to waiting Airside. I see old posts relating to transit services at HKG and ideally don’t want to exit, collect baggage and enter again. I don’t want to go kill time in HKG as I spent a few days there on the way out.All the BA flights depart late so desk doesn’t open until later.

GivingupBA
    Participant

peter19, you said “Is there any way I can get the bags dropped and spend time in cx lounges opposed to waiting Airside… and ideally don’t want to exit, collect baggage and enter again.” I’ve been through HKG a zillion times but I don’t see a way to do that. If you want to “get the bags dropped”, you’ll have to go through HKG immigration, then pick up your bags, then go through into the public (arrivals) side of the airport. As all CX lounges are only airside (since the CX arrivals lounge closed), and as the BA desk will be closed when you arrive, I don’t see how you can then “spend time in cx lounges”. So to me it seems you have to “”exit, collect baggage and enter again”. Sorry I can’t help more. There is a left luggage facility in Terminal 2, before security.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@peter19 – 11 hours is a long wait and I agree it would be made to feel shorter by enjoying the CX lounges.

The only way I can see this being possible, is to exit, put your bags into left luggage and then re enter (as long as you have a boarding card). Then 3 hours before departure, tell the lounge you need to exit to collect your bags and see what they say.

Alternatively of course, ask in Singapore whether they would be willing to tag your bags through to London, using the BA flight details. I have no idea whether this is possible or not, but it could be worth a try as I recall someone else mentioned they were shocked when this happened in a similar situation.

Good luck…

peter19
    Participant

Thanks both. I intend to ask Singapore airlines on the off chance but doubt they will do this. I didn’t think of using the bag drop and get back out that could be a good shout but wouldn’t like for this to go wrong! Both arrival and departures are in T1.

I read a couple solitons in old forum posts:
    1. Ask cx to do bag drop (this apparently stopped in 2016/17 and was a curtesy to one world partners)
    2. Transfer desks/ services at HKG would source bag and retag it but that was old posts.
    I have always been on a connecting ticket prior so never been an issue for me before and never had that length of layover on two tickets for this to be an issue.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=986597]lternatively of course, ask in Singapore whether they would be willing to tag your bags through to London, using the BA flight details[/quote]

The very kind Cathay lady at HKG asked me if Manchester was my final destination, when I replied I was connecting onto a Flybe flight to EDI , she requested the details and interlined the luggage on, even though it was on a separate ticket. So there is hope and they can only say know at Singapore

EDIT to add — I commend you’re boredom tolerance , 11 hours at an airport, even HKG would drive me mad : )

peter19
    Participant

It’s a bit of a long trek home I’m actually doing MEL-SIN-HKG / HKG-LHR-ABZ so I will be polite (as always!) and hope the Singapore Airlines MEL desk will be kind to me! But the 11 hours I agree is not ideal 😬.

TominScotland
    Participant

If you have no joy in Melbourne and have to collect your bags, a convoluted way to check your bags early and then enjoy the CX lounge would be to exit through Immigration, collect your bag and then take the Airport Express to Kowloon or Central. You can check your bag in there for BA any time, return to the airport and re-enter to access the lounge. Probably take you about 2 of the 11 hours!!

7 users thanked author for this post.

peter19
    Participant

Thanks Tomin, great suggestion and one I shall consider!
    links for anyone interested to have a read on this:
    http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_checkin.html

https://www.executivetraveller.com/travel-tip-drop-your-bags-at-hong-kong-in-town-check-in

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Sorry, Tom, clicked the wrong button.

Meant to Quote, and say that is exactly what I would do.

Alternatively, if you have a China Visa, get the ferry to SheKhou, Shenzhen, and buy a ferry ticket back to HKIA. You can check your bag in early and then go to an area called SeaWorld, a 5 minute walk, where there are very many restaurants. If no Visa, it is not possible, but if you have a China Visa it would be a pleasant way to spend the day.

Alternatively there is now a shopping mall / restaurant complex nearby HKIA.

canucklad
    Participant

@ Peter19 — Another option you might consider, rather than heading into Central and the hustle bustle, might be and if indeed you have to make your way landside is to head to nearby DB
    The coach takes 20 minutes and its pretty easy to relax when you get there. It’s relatively quiet and offers a choice of restaurants etc in a relatively tranquil surrounding

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I go thru HKG every couple of weeks. If it were me (i guess you are on the BA night flights) I would either book the Regal next to airport and get some sleep/rest (they do day rates with checkout at 9 pm, 10 if you ask really nice) usual rates range from 850-1250 HKD. Or get the airport express to either kowloon or central. I think you can check in for BA there at any time if not they both have luggage storage. get out and about, grab some food then hop back on the express back to HKG either checking in at the station or at the airport. be sure to print out your BA flight details to get into the terminal due to new security measures. you can have it on your phone but i find printing it out saves a few seconds…

1 user thanked author for this post.

peter19
    Participant

@tominscotland cheers for that advice. Currently in the wing with plenty time to relax. Bag dropped in Kowloon with no issues this morning. Best £10 I have spent on a same day return express train!

simeoncox
    Participant

Excellent team problem-solving exercise, and helpful advice for future reference. Well done, all responders!

Rhys
    Participant

As you have 11 hours have you thought about clearing immigration, taking the airport express to Kowloon use the downtown bag drop facility and then exploring Kowloon for a few hours? I think you can bag drop there 24hrs a day – even for BA.

If not then the left luggage facility at HKG is good value for money.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls