Hong Kong to reduce quarantine to 7 and open up to non residence

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1106545]21 days / 22 nights ‘washout’ outside the UK, then whatever HK quarantine rules that apply for the country where the washout was done, either 14 or 21 days.

If the antibody test is done in HK before departure to the UK, then quarantine can be reduced by 7 days

The option to do the antibody test outside HK, or on arrival in HK is not yet available[/quote]

Thanks David. I still do not understand the logic.

HKG consider UK as a ‘cesspit of variants and infection’, hence the requirement for UK passengers to clean themselves in a third country for 21 days (The Washout) prior to being allowed to enter HKG for either a 14 or 21 day strict hotel quarantine, depending where the washout was undertaken.

Yet ex-HKG passengers, simply rock up to the UK border, and freely enter UK ‘the cesspit…’ without a care in the world….

cwoodward
    Participant

Advised this morning that due to now 56 days with zero local infections HK will open up to British and Irish vaccinated travellers next week. This seems to be because these are the only 2 countries whose vaccination documentation is recognised by the WTO. This seemed a little strange to me at first pass but looks to be correct.
    Quarantine still required.
    Also properly jabbed returning residence allowed with shorter quarantine – from most but not all countries.
    Domestic helpers from Philippines who have not been allowed back into HK for some time will be allowed back providing that they were jabbed prior to leaving HK.

Mask wearing is still compulsory in HKG and 99.99% observed here with no protest….after 18 months it is now just a reflex action to don a mask and I suspect that one that many will continue with once this is over.

Flu cases here almost zero for over a year now. Interesting the death rate from flu p.a. up to 2020 was much higher at over 1000 than the 200 lost due to the pandemic in past eighteen months – the only variable being the general wearing of masks.

Interesting compulsory vaccination introduced for all government employees and those with jobs connected to any form of travel or education wishing to continue to work in HK is being introduced. (it seems that some exceptions can apply).

Government is advising that it expects 70%+ of over 18’s will be vaccinated prior end September.

6 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Some very interesting and informative stuff cwoodward–thanks

Curious to hear about your thoughts , as well as other HK contributors on here to the following questions that are milling around in my mind ….

1) Will the HK 7’s 2022 happen in March ?
    2) Quarantine — Will it be lifted for fully vaccinated UK & Canadian travellers ?
    3) Mask wearing, where will it be if the &’s go ahead ?

last question, very selfish —but I was in Bristol for 4 days last week and it really was a feeling of being in an oppressive regime on arrival back into Scotland

Obviously, I’m dabbling in the , how long is a piece of string, but still good to hear your thoughts and educated guesses

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1106625]

The Hong Kong Sevens 2021 hasn’t even happened yet.

It was postponed from earlier in the year and is still scheduled for November 5-7 2021. I assume it will still go ahead, but obviously there’s a big question mark about how many overseas visitors will be able to attend, depending on how the HK government opens things up by them.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi canucklad

MY humble offering in response:
    1. 2021 should happen in November and by then I would expect a good showing of participating countries. It will I am told happen at the congenial old government stadium but not for much longer as the new 50,000 seater is fast taking shape on the old Kai Tak airport site.
    Unless things take a turn for the worse I would expect 2022 to go ahead as usual.
    2. Already in-train I understand (informed gossip) to at least be shortened by month end providing things continue to improve in the countries mentioned.
    3. No real idea but HK people are very comfortable with masks. Forgive the pun but don’t hold your breath on this.

BTW The reason why the China border is not opening is the upturn in cases in various China cities.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

Cathay Pacific / HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2021 Cancelled; Event Will Next Take Place in 2022

http://www.travelnewsasia.com/news21/58-HongKongSevens.shtml

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Any news from HKG re reducing the 21 day quarantine for ex UK, especially when other parts of Asia are beginning to open up, quarantine free…. From travel blogs I read, it is very difficult to even find available hotels to use for the 21 day quarantine and bookings are still being taking up to February / March 2022….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes. From what I have heard, the government has booked the quarantine hotels until the end of February.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1114653]Yes. From what I have heard, the government has booked the quarantine hotels until the end of February.[/quote]

Apologies first Tom , I know that political comment on the forum is frowned upon so i’ll be minimalist as possible with my comment
    Read a recent article in one of the broadsheets that pretty much analyzed the HK decision making process compared to other governments and the author was strongly suggesting that political considerations are now driving the robust quarantine rules rather than the risk to the health of the HK residents

[quote quote=1106747]Cathay Pacific / HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2021 Cancelled; Event Will Next Take Place in 2022[/quote]

So Chris. I doubt I’ll bump into you or any other Forum HKer’s in LKF or Wan Chai in 2022 —– So sad

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Thank you for being circumspect.

stevescoots
    Participant

Just started my 4th round of quarantine in Vietnam, who like many countries in Asia are taking a more pragmatic approach and reduced quarantine down to 7 days for fully Vax travellers. HK and Cn another story. I have not visited our CN plant since Jan 2020 and Hk office since March 2020. I have just started the approvals process to get into China but that is going to be a 4–5-month process. HK is another story, only way to get in is to get my HKID processed but that’s proving close to impossible not being in HK and kind of pointless with the quarantine situation as it is now and no cross-border travel. on my flight here via HKG one resident was telling me it too them 6 weeks trying daily to get a quarantine hotel.
    Reality is HK will not open up until they sort out the cross-border travel and that is getting even stricter. For example all HK truck drivers have now been in effect (by impossible process) banned from coming to our site 60 km from SZ. Up until about 4 weeks ago our trucks would come from HK, pick up and go back. due to new rules we now have to ship to a central area in SZ and then they get taken over the border. According to the local HK business association in our town there was over 1000 companies shipping direct to HK, now just 4. General consensus among Hk business owners I know is nothing will happen until after the winter games and CNY 2022, then maybe some limited cross border. Don’t expect reduced quarantine to 7 days or less until 2 events happen. Either the west accepts Cn vaccines fully or a certain important event up north is finished in October 2022.
    Sad to say this will probably spell the death knell for my CN site, we already started a pivot to VN and if we cannot access our Cn site or HK site add to the regional political situation then it may well see a total move out with another new facility in VN or elsewhere in Asia and possible move out of HK to a lower risk geography such as Singapore.
    On another note the F lounge area in HKG is now closed to transit passengers. We have to use the business area and the only food on offer is 2 options prepacked flight meals in the noodle bar which was barely edible. It does not really make sense to me as all passengers can mix freely in the terminal and the staff are not separated once they go landside. Shops are still closed with the exception of 1 duty free and small shop.

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

According to a SCMP news flash at 12.30 local the border will have limited opening from 1st December. Not much detail but it looks only to from Guangdong province but without quarantine for those vaccinated. If correct its good for me and business generally as finally I can go to our China factory.
    The devil will be in the detail of course.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Sounds like a terrible experience for all who endure it

British Airways Pilots and Cabin Crew Imprisoned in Hong Kong COVID Camp

MartynSinclair
    Participant

…and apparently HKG is not the strictest…

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/3156490/how-survive-quarantine-people-multiple-stints-behind-them?utm_content=article#Echobox=1637463085

I also see comments from a couple of HKG quarantine Facebook pages. Especially sad is how airlines are turning HKG bound passengers away at check in and passengers are losing thousands on non refundable air tickets as well as non changeable quarantine hotel bookings in HKG.

stevescoots
    Participant

Welcome to the new HK

having done 3 x 15 nights and 1 x 23 nights + 8 at home quarantine i can tell you its no picnic and will never do it again. I am a very stoic person (cold heartless stone my wife might say) but i was struggling mentally at the end of my last one. I can only imagine just how it will be for the BA crew to be suddenly scooped up and effectivly jailed at Penny’s bay. I have a friend who was in there and it is in effect Stalag luft 1V

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls