Hong Kong to reduce quarantine to 7 and open up to non residence

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

21 days / 22 nights ‘washout’ outside the UK, then whatever HK quarantine rules that apply for the country where the washout was done, either 14 or 21 days.

If the antibody test is done in HK before departure to the UK, then quarantine can be reduced by 7 days

The option to do the antibody test outside HK, or on arrival in HK is not yet available

Thanks David. I still do not understand the logic.

HKG consider UK as a ‘cesspit of variants and infection’, hence the requirement for UK passengers to clean themselves in a third country for 21 days (The Washout) prior to being allowed to enter HKG for either a 14 or 21 day strict hotel quarantine, depending where the washout was undertaken.

Yet ex-HKG passengers, simply rock up to the UK border, and freely enter UK ‘the cesspit…’ without a care in the world….

cwoodward
    Participant

Advised this morning that due to now 56 days with zero local infections HK will open up to British and Irish vaccinated travellers next week. This seems to be because these are the only 2 countries whose vaccination documentation is recognised by the WTO. This seemed a little strange to me at first pass but looks to be correct.
    Quarantine still required.
    Also properly jabbed returning residence allowed with shorter quarantine – from most but not all countries.
    Domestic helpers from Philippines who have not been allowed back into HK for some time will be allowed back providing that they were jabbed prior to leaving HK.

Mask wearing is still compulsory in HKG and 99.99% observed here with no protest….after 18 months it is now just a reflex action to don a mask and I suspect that one that many will continue with once this is over.

Flu cases here almost zero for over a year now. Interesting the death rate from flu p.a. up to 2020 was much higher at over 1000 than the 200 lost due to the pandemic in past eighteen months – the only variable being the general wearing of masks.

Interesting compulsory vaccination introduced for all government employees and those with jobs connected to any form of travel or education wishing to continue to work in HK is being introduced. (it seems that some exceptions can apply).

Government is advising that it expects 70%+ of over 18’s will be vaccinated prior end September.

6 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Some very interesting and informative stuff cwoodward–thanks

Curious to hear about your thoughts , as well as other HK contributors on here to the following questions that are milling around in my mind ….

1) Will the HK 7’s 2022 happen in March ?
    2) Quarantine — Will it be lifted for fully vaccinated UK & Canadian travellers ?
    3) Mask wearing, where will it be if the &’s go ahead ?

last question, very selfish —but I was in Bristol for 4 days last week and it really was a feeling of being in an oppressive regime on arrival back into Scotland

Obviously, I’m dabbling in the , how long is a piece of string, but still good to hear your thoughts and educated guesses

Chris in Makati
    Participant

Some very interesting and informative stuff cwoodward–thanks

Curious to hear about your thoughts , as well as other HK contributors on here to the following questions that are milling around in my mind ….

1) Will the HK 7’s 2022 happen in March ?
    2) Quarantine — Will it be lifted for fully vaccinated UK & Canadian travellers ?
    3) Mask wearing, where will it be if the &’s go ahead ?

last question, very selfish —but I was in Bristol for 4 days last week and it really was a feeling of being in an oppressive regime on arrival back into Scotland

Obviously, I’m dabbling in the , how long is a piece of string, but still good to hear your thoughts and educated guesses

The Hong Kong Sevens 2021 hasn’t even happened yet.

It was postponed from earlier in the year and is still scheduled for November 5-7 2021. I assume it will still go ahead, but obviously there’s a big question mark about how many overseas visitors will be able to attend, depending on how the HK government opens things up by them.

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi canucklad

MY humble offering in response:
    1. 2021 should happen in November and by then I would expect a good showing of participating countries. It will I am told happen at the congenial old government stadium but not for much longer as the new 50,000 seater is fast taking shape on the old Kai Tak airport site.
    Unless things take a turn for the worse I would expect 2022 to go ahead as usual.
    2. Already in-train I understand (informed gossip) to at least be shortened by month end providing things continue to improve in the countries mentioned.
    3. No real idea but HK people are very comfortable with masks. Forgive the pun but don’t hold your breath on this.

BTW The reason why the China border is not opening is the upturn in cases in various China cities.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

Cathay Pacific / HSBC Hong Kong Sevens 2021 Cancelled; Event Will Next Take Place in 2022

http://www.travelnewsasia.com/news21/58-HongKongSevens.shtml

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls