Hong Kong Kai Tak – new 1962 terminal

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Many of the ‘souls’ that you mention worked at the airport and back in the day we all worked 6 or 6.5 days a week to make a living. Frankly I doubt that many of the ‘souls’ ever gave much thought to the closeness of the airport. Those were very different times. Different but not worse.

Markyah
    Participant

If you believed most of Kowloon including Mongkok, which at the time was amongst the densest populated places on Earth, worked at the airport then fair enough 🙄

cwoodward
    Participant

Markyah
    Your above misrepresents what I posted.

I lived in HK at that time -did you
    My home very close to Kowloon City…about 300 yards(as it was then) I shopped and often ate among the ‘souls’ that you mention(and still eat Thai food there) and can testify that the closeness of the airport was never an issue – and the kids loved it.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=1348688]

That brings back some long forgotten memories. I do remember now that there were some small places to eat Thai food in that area. Those were in the days when there were very few Thai restaurants in other parts of Hong Kong. When I first went to Hong Kong in 1982 the only Thai restaurant I knew of was in the Bangkok Hotel somewhere around Mong Kok or Yau Ma Tei.

cwoodward
    Participant

Those Thai restaurants are still there Chris… and flourishing.

EruditeSheep
    Participant

Having experienced a 747 approach and landing from the direction of the high rise buildings in the 1980s, I thought it would be interesting to try it myself in a 747 simulator at Coventry Airport. Well, I managed to get the “aircraft” on the ground in one piece, which is probably saying something, but I can’t claim that it was a perfect landing! I would thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone that is interested – see https://www.flyfsm.co.uk

ronca
    Participant

Thanks for posting the video – great memories. I lived in HK from 1988 through the nineties and used Kai Tak almost every week. My office was in North Point almost opposite the end of the runway so I used to see a lot of takeoffs and landings. I also flew Cessnas from the Aviation Club. I made a video about Kai Tak just before it closed. Here’s a link to it on Youtube. Hope you enjoy. Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls