Hong Kong further eases visitor restrictions

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

• tomyam42
    Participant

Chris, it is a matter of distance to be walked and avoiding inclines. The bus to and from Wanchai is very convenient.

As for the HKRFU flyer, it was an email on 1 November which included DO’S AND DON’TS. The latter included:

” X Sit in groups of more than 12
    X Remove your mask unless eating or drinking”

cwoodward
    Participant

t42 The regulation that you refer to above has been removed and your unfortunate walking difficulty is not generaly relivent to the number of or the convienient placement of testing stations as the wording your post rather implied.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am told that later this week the government are likely to announce a further easing of the Covid restrictions.

Most Tour groups will be exempt from the 3 day testing restrictions currently required for individual travellers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@cwoodward – these carrots and incentives need to be replaced by HKG opening up without restrictions.

If thousands of people can attend a rugby match or mix in a shopping centre, or travel on public transport etc etc….it makes so sense at all for visitors to be restricted for 3 days on arrival, by not being able to eat and drink in bar or restaurant… AND having to take numerous PCR tests.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn, I agree with you ‘it makes no sense’ at all.

I was at the 7’s and although mask waring was policed to some degree in the stands-in the southern stand where the action always is it was not policed at all – and at a glance I saw no one waring a mask. These pictures were of course beamed around the world.

We have this very silly state of affairs which is of course totally political.
    The rather sensible fellow that is the current chief executive is in my opinion being rather smart as he is aware that he needs to inch towards the full opening (not to China of course) of Hong Kong by proving to Beijing after every small step that it has worked well with no flare-up of the pandemic. One false step and all will grind to a holt for a while.

I still have confidence that we can have that drink and dinner in HK prior to Christmas if you are still game!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Unfortunately the main article is behind a paywall

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3201635/2-former-cathay-pacific-flight-attendants-each-jailed-8-weeks-breaching-hong-kongs-covid-quarantine

Two Cathay Pacific Flight Attendants Jailed For 8 Weeks Because They Broke Hong Kong’s Notoriously Strict Pandemic Rules

Some may agree, some wont, either way, HKG appear not to care what what the rest of the world thinks about the continuing draconian ways covid restrictions and rules are being enforced and remain in place.

I would not feel at all comfortable visiting HKG for a 1 or 2 night visit, until all covid threats and restrictions are lifted.

Sadly our dinner cwoodward will need to wait until 2023, unless of course you are in BKK… over the next few weeks.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Martin. I fail to understand what is draconian about upholding the law -by the way British common law. These two clowns directly infected over 2 dozen people lied through there teeth about doing so. Abused the privilege extended to them as cabin crew at a time when the virus was particularly virulent and killing many in HK. I am surprised and rather disappointed that you feel the need to defend these clowns in order to it seems put the boot into Hong Kong.
    I will be in Thailand from the 28th December to 15 January, some of the time at the Peninsula.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

cwoodward, I see nothing wrong with punishing those who have transgressed and I am certainly NOT defending “these two clowns” as you describe them. However, 8 weeks in prison for breaking covid rules IS an excessively draconian punishment and I am disappointed anyone would think otherwise. As for me “putting the boot into Hong Kong” there is no need – the country have already booted themselves and hard….

Sadly, I will have returned back to the UK when you arrive into BKK. Lets hope HKG allows us to meet to discuss over fine food and wine in 2023…. (without needing to stay for 3 days)….

cwoodward
    Participant

Martyn, Here is not the place to discuss the above further but I would ask you to read (SCMP is a good source) reports of the extent of their lies and deceit. After which I am sure that you will agree with me that perhaps 8 weeks was lenient….4 months would have been more appropriate
    Unfortunately Hong Kong is not a country (had it been Thatcher could not have given it away) and never has been – always a colony and now of China.

FormerBA
    Participant

Just transited HKG on route to LHR. The airport is a ghost town with empty shops and dozens of laid up aircraft. The sense of awfulness is not helped by dozens of full PPE adorned staff in masks shields gowns and gloves. It dredful!
    Fortunately you by pass the health check nonsense in transit but masks still compulsory in the airport and on the flight into Hong Kong. It needs to stop, it is madness!!

cwoodward
    Participant

It would be interesting to know what time of day FormerBA passed through the airport as the picture painted is a very different one to the one that I see almost every week.
    There are not dozens of aircraft ‘laid up’ (the mothballed aircraft are in the desert in Australia or Spain) at the airport…..90% the aircraft that you see are in use.
    I was at the airport on Monday and again tomorrow and at least 60% of the shops are open again and more by the month as traffic rebuilds. Agreed still many are closed still but almost none are empty. Some areas of the shopping and check-in is closed for the rebuilding and extension of the terminal that is already underway and of course the new 3rd runway is already opened but not all of the apron is finished with the second (centre) runway being closed for a major refurbishment and used for used for aircraft parking as also parts of the normal parking area closed for the terminal and taxiway extensions.
    Fortnum and Mason announced on Monday that they are opening a store at the airport in March as are several new food outlets. Personally I have nothing against waring a mask and in the UK in January I will certainly do so on public transport and in crowded areas given that several million in the UK are suffering with covid at any one time however agreed mask waring should be a personal decision.

stevescoots
    Participant

C Woodward, you are probably on the “clean side” gates 1-22 (ish) many of the shops etc are open and its reasonably busy. Out past the DMZ into the dirty zone almost nothing is open. 2 x small duty free. one coffee shop and the noodle bar & Irish bar near gate 40. I have come through on transit several times and sometimes its dead quiet, others its busy. have to say i dont see any mothballed aircraft either other than the usual parked up for the night ones

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Steve, I agree with you that out in the further gates (40 and up) not a lot is open yet but more now than a month ago. Today I am at a close gate but often coming home we land at a far gate and I will have another look on Friday evening. I am not at all sure what to make of FormerBA’s post other than perhaps he landed very early morning long-haul overnight from Europe as is not unusual.

FormerBA
    Participant

Was on CX251/7Dec and just landed at LHR,

FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1275045]

I arrived from Bali on CX at 9pm and walked for what seemed miles. I passed at least a dozen people in full PPE and miles of tensa barriers. It was frankly dystopian given the world has moved on and evidence of just what a totalitarian regime can inflict on its citizens.

My departure was from C34 and I was not able to access the Wing as I don’t think I was anywhere near it so used the pier very briefly. Almost every shop near C34 was closed. several were not just closed but abandoned with the floors strewn with detritus.

I can only describe what I saw and how it made me feel. I don’t live in HKG but have been travelling to from and through it since 1992. My experience last night was not pleasant and I would not return unless these draconian and unnecessary restrictions were lifted.

On a different matter CX A321 Neo is horrible in business class. The 5 hours from Bali was far from comfortable. Interestingly 12 seats in J all full but very few passenger in Y.

CX777 to LHR was however very comfortable despite being on board for almost 15 hours and in the air for well over 14hrs overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls