Hong Kong airport set for disruption on Monday

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Report from scmpc.com tells of transport disruption in Hong Kong tomorrow (August 5)

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3021383/hong-kong-prepares-transport-nightmare-citywide-strike

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

I’m due to fly out of HKG on Tuesday 6 August (tomorrow) . . Hopefully ‘Strike day’ only lasts one day

cwoodward
    Participant

RTHK is saying that over 100 Cathay and HK Airlines flights are likely to be cancelled today and to check with the airlines prior to going to the airport.
    However a number of flights are getting away and looking at flight radar incoming aircraft look to be unaffected at this time-8am HKT.

cwoodward
    Participant

Situation now seems to have worsened with many ground staff not turning up for work.

Mid haul incoming flights being cancelled also SCMP reporting now likely cancellations will be over 300.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thank you Cathay for sending me an email confirming todays flight cancelation into HKG and rebooking information. The multi sector ticket was issued through BA – who despite asking me to ensure my contact details were updated and correct, still haven’t been bothered to contact me to advise that 3 further BA flights have also been cancelled/changed.

AK

stevescoots
    Participant

I was talking with a couple of groundside friends who work at CX last night, coincidently on skype while on a CX flight to LHR! I was lucky to be out Sunday evening. The carrier anticipated a lot of groundside no-shows. Part of the issue as well is not the protests but actually getting to work or home dues to transportation shutdown. I note this morning most of the MTR is shut down as well. I got caught up in the protests on Saturday, popped down to Langham place in the late afternoon and noticed shops shuttering by 4pm so got the hell out of dodge and back to ETST, a little later going out to dinner I walked strait into it all, they had walked from MK to TST, which is no mean feat in HK weather. I was in the 2014 protests and it had almost a party atmosphere, but these ones have more of a poll tax riot feeling to them! Noting the RMB dropping below the psychological 7 RMB today is a bad thing. On the plus side I had no problem getting a table anywhere to eat at p.m. on a Saturday night

Anyway, to keep this on a travel related topic. I wonder if airlines or insurers that didn’t cancel flights would pay out in the case that you could not get transport to the airport in time due to the demonstrations

cwoodward
    Participant

Both short and long hauls getting away and landing with both runways open.
    Looks like traffic reduced by close to 50% though.
    Best stay away from HK for a few days if possible until thing improve (or not).

My home attacked on Saturday evening with a mob trying to break down our gates. In my quiet residential street brick pavements ripped up and railing dismantled and sharpened to throw at police.
    I make no political comment here and only to say it is all very unpleasant and perhaps not the best time to come to Hong Kong.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls