Hong Kong Airport cancels all departing flights due to protesters

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• FrequentTraveller
    Participant

Airport operations

Airport operations at Hong Kong International Airport have been seriously disrupted, all flights have been cancelled. All passengers are advised to leave the terminal buildings as soon as possible. Affected passengers please contact their respective airlines for flight arrangement.

Last updated on: 2019-08-12 16:50:00

Source:
    https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/important-notice/index.page?noticeid=1565255215067-2

stevescoots
    Participant

Hope the climate protesters dont get any big ideas from this for LHR!

canucklad
    Participant

I fear that this isn’t going to end well for the protesters .
    The shutting down of an important regional transport hub, will be the excuse that Beijing will use to further their own agenda of the Chinafaction of HK . And consequently quicker than the existing timetable.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=953034] ……..all flights have been cancelled…. [/quote]

I feel very, very sorry for arriving passengers. They’re going to be dumped in Taipei or possibly Guangzhou / Shenzhen.

capetonianm
    Participant

There was an article in this morning’s Telegraph which made some interesting, presumably valid, points about visiting HKG.

Hong Kong needs visitors more than ever – here’s why now is the time to go
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/hong-kong/articles/now-is-the-time-to-visit-hong-kong-protests/

….. despite the upheaval, and continuing demonstrations, the British and Foreign Office’s advice on travelling to Hong Kong remains the same – it is safe – and though it may seem counterintuitive, there might never have been a more important time for tourists to visit.

The last 12 weeks of protests have taken a toll on the hospitality industry, with reports of hotel occupancy rates dropping by as much as a third and workers being laid off. Room rates have fallen, too, as a result. ……………. Air fares too have taken a tumble.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am interested to hear how people feel about travelling to HKG over the next few months.

My next trip is about to be firmed for the end of October. Admittedly, I will only have 1 night in HKG outbound and in transit on the return. Yes i could avoid HKG, but for business reasons I wont.

My last trip cost me financially when CX delayed one of my flights, quoting “beyond our control” (and refused to cover the cost of 2 additional nights hotel in BKK)- yet I read above the reasons why I should continue to support HKG travel.

Is anyone cancelling travel to HKG or just avoiding …. ?

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[quote quote=954454]The last 12 weeks of protests have taken a toll on the hospitality industry, with reports of hotel occupancy rates dropping by as much as a third and workers being laid off. Room rates have fallen, too, as a result. ……………. Air fares too have taken a tumble.
    [/quote]

A friend of mine just booked the Wharney Hotel in Wanchai next week at HK$348 a night. I can’t remember when rates at that hotel were so low. I’ve paid HK$1,500 a night to stay there before.

capetonianm
    Participant

I’m not really planning to go to HKG other than as a possible transit on CX, but I don’t think the current situation would influence my decision.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It’s reported that some top hotels are suffering with the visitor downturn. Some have asked staff to take unpaid leave.

Meanwhile Qantas appears to be the first airline to reduce capacity during the present unrest.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3023874/qantas-cuts-passenger-capacity-hong-kong-flights-airlines

Swissdiver
    Participant

I currently have no plan, but would not hesitate going there, avoiding obviously week-ends… I think both parties pushed to their limits, and somewhat retrenched. We are now probably in a long lasting movement, that is somewhat predictable. Is it a naive view?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=954470]A friend of mine just booked the Wharney Hotel in Wanchai next week at HK$348 a night. I can’t remember when rates at that hotel were so low. I’ve paid HK$1,500 a night to stay there before.[/quote]

Marriott clearly don’t seem to be suffering, their prices are going up.. 🙁

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=954490]

A friend of mine just booked the Wharney Hotel in Wanchai next week at HK$348 a night. I can’t remember when rates at that hotel were so low. I’ve paid HK$1,500 a night to stay there before.

Marriott clearly don’t seem to be suffering, their prices are going up.. 🙁[/quote]

yep, my usual one and the ones I price bench against are still the same or higher over the next 8 weeks. As for not going it would not affect me, I was there a week ago in transit and Thursday evening. All i would say is make sure you have your booking to hand when arriving ground side as they are not letting anyone in the terminal who is not travelling that day as part of the injunction which has just been extended.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=954468] I am interested to hear how people feel about travelling to HKG over the next few months….[/quote]

Here’s my wisdom/ opinion: I lived there for nearly 20 years until a few years ago, and since leaving have travelled there regularly. Consequently I know HKG very well. Just two days ago, I booked another trip there. Personally, I would not hesitate to visit and am not hesitating.

2 users thanked author for this post.

HongKongLady
    Participant

I was over there recently and my return was delayed for a few days due to the protesters. During my trip I noted that certain areas like Mong Kok were quieter, if you know HK you will be aware it is normally a heaving mass of people. I previously lived in HK so it will not deter me from returning but I can see that for some it would be a concern. The situation there is very fluid and I think for those crossing the border for work, as ever, sensible precautions and common sense need to be applied.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=954510]Personally, I would not hesitate to visit and am not hesitating.[/quote]

Totally agree, also agree with HKLady describing the situation as fluid.

My mate was grilling me on the sanity of still taking his wife to HK considering recent events.
    Like others on here I reassured him that its one of (if the not , the safest city) I ‘ve been too .

I did suggest that if they really were paranoid about getting accidently caught up in any future protests that they should rebook into the Auberge at DB , thus giving them a bolt hole to escape to.
    However, they’re only there for 4 days before moving onto Singapore so & Bangkok so strongly advised him not too.

Take the concierge’s advice and use common sense and most importantly of all —enjoy one of the world’s great cities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls