Holiday Rail Travel in UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Montysaurus
    Participant

We are regularly told that engineering work on our railways takes place at Christmas and other holiday periods because far fewer people travel at these times. Given that holiday engineering works have been a regular feature for over 20 years with the resultant significant disruption to travel, one cynically wonders if the reason for that reduction in travel might be the closure of routes for the said engineering works.

1 user thanked author for this post.

bluemooner
    Participant

[quote quote=911378]We are regularly told that engineering work on our railways takes place at Christmas and other holiday periods because far fewer people travel at these times. Given that holiday engineering works have been a regular feature for over 20 years with the resultant significant disruption to travel, one cynically wonders if the reason for that reduction in travel might be the closure of routes for the said engineering works.[/quote]

Is there a better time to do this essential work than at holiday times and on Sundays when there is less need for work related journeys. I think not.
    As leisure journeys are by their nature non essential, there is more flexibility in the time/dates of travel.
    Many roadworks are lifted, so those who cannot drive can always use the good network of Coaches.
    Those who can drive but don’t own a car can always hire a car.
    So I think that the Holiday rail disruptions will continue for the foreseeable future.

Montysaurus
    Participant

The point I was making was only that there are probably fewer travellers by rail because there are fewer trains!

Andrew
    Participant

Are there fewer travellers because few are travelling for business, and few are travelling to and from work?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls