Holiday Inn (Ariel) hotel Heathrow closed to the public

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

The Ariel hotel is one of the original Heathrow hotels and in its time has been managed by several companies. Current one is IHG Holiday Inn.

It’s been closed and guests removed. Understood is has been “block booked as a potential quarantine zone.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-heathrow-hotel-airport-outbreak-quarantine-evacuation-flight-uk-a9339201.html

capetonianm
    Participant

That is the round one which is a bit of a landmark.
    I stayed there a few years ago in one of its previous incarnations. It was rather basic and noisy, but not with aircraft noise which one would expect near an airport, but internal noise, doors banging, people shouting, service trolleys up and down corridors, and lifts.
    I wonder if this will be the first of other public places being closed to the current risk of infections.

2 users thanked author for this post.

JDTraveller
    Participant

I have a strange fondness for the Ariel, having stayed here countless times through its Posthouse and HI lifetimes. It’s by far not the most modern if hotels at LHR but does have some charm to it, and very handy for the Airport Bowl.

It does seem that they would choose this hotel over others though, I would have thought the HIE T5 being a bit more out of the way would be better for a quarantine centre. No doubt that guests who were due to stay at the Ariel will be well accommodated in one of the many other IHG properties around though! Is IHG still the operator with the most beds at LHR?

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=990709]It was rather basic and noisy, but not with aircraft noise which one would expect near an airport, but internal noise, doors banging, people shouting, service trolleys up and down corridors, and lifts.[/quote]

[quote quote=990718]It’s by far not the most modern if hotels at LHR but does have some charm to it, and very handy for the Airport Bowl.[/quote]

Stayed a few times , and also have a strange affinity with the place. always found the staff friendly and the corridors noisy. The bar always seemed to be filled with loud American’s whenever I stayed. More so, than the Park Inn or The Radisson or the Hilton or even the Renaissance.

JDTraveller, thanks for reminding me about the Airport Bowl , many memories, mostly beginning of the night memories when I could still see the pins, but memories all the same

Donna
    Participant

[postquote quote=990718][/postquote]

I imagine IHG wouldn’t want to hand over a nicer hotel that they can charge more for, than this one which routinely charges the lowest rates

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls