HKG to MEL – Business Fares

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• peter19
    Participant

Hi All, It’s been a while since I posted but I’m looking for some advice on target fare prices between HKG and MEL? How often do Sub 2k options appear for business? This is not on my normal routing hence the request. I’m looking for Business fares specifically. Stopping is fine but preference is a one world airline and direct.

Any advice on target pricing and booking times based on promotions most welcome.
    (I’m Hoping for a Qatar option to appear to cancel my existing booking to HKG but they seem few and far between as of late)

cheers

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=919671] How often do Sub 2k options appear for business? [/quote]

Sub 2k what, Peter, US dollars or UK pounds?

TominScotland
    Participant

Or, indeed, Lao Kip which would make it about 20p

Your post confuses me a bit (probably me) but reference to Qatar suggests HKG – MEL via DOH????? A bit extreme, n’est pas? Did you mean Qantas?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Roughly when do you plan on travelling ? Single or return ? Midweek or weekend ?

Best prices will surely be with indirect carriers. Not a lot of choice when it comes to non-stop/direct services.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Try searching using ITAMatrix. You can give a min / max number of nights. Specify maximum stopovers and also have a 30 day date range. You can also select currency

peter19
    Participant

GivingupBA, UK Pounds. the fares seem pretty consistent at just above that figure (approx converted Using google flights)

Tomin, Re Qatar. I should have made that a bit clearer. I aleady have a booking in place to HKG from the UK in Business but my final destination is MEL.
    I could cancel this booking and look at alternative Qatar fares via doha but there hasnt been much activity there and favourible fares of late so hence the add on flight question and query on typical fares to MEL.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=919685] GivingupBA, UK Pounds. [/quote]

Thank you for your reply. I haven’t been on Philippine Airlines but I heard from friends they are relatively cheap. Another idea is China Eastern or Southern, or Malaysia Airlines. If it was me I’d go on Qantas or Philippine Airlines (if Cathay Pacific, always my first choice when affordable, was too pricey). (Disclaimer, I am not associated with any airline)

Good luck with booking, and I hope you have a good trip.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=919685]I could cancel this booking and look at alternative Qatar fares via doha but there hasnt been much activity there and favourible fares of late so hence the add on flight question and query on typical fares to MEL.[/quote]

Pity you didn’t buy a through ticket to MEL in the UK.

There can be little difference between the cost of flying LON-SIN-LON or LON-HKG-LON compared to the LON-MEL-LON fare.

You didn’t say when you were travelling. So I chose an example of a week’s stay for travel mid-March.

Using Cathay Pacific’s website …

Return business class LON-HKG-LON would be £5,376

Return business class LON-MEL-LON (via HKG) would be £5,830

Now one can understand why Asian airlines claim London-Australia is a low yield route for them.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

What are the cancellation fees? you may find it better value to cancel and rebook a fare via HK to MEL rather than try and get a sub £2k fare just for that part (especially if you want to go direct). Virgin Atlantic have some very good fares in partnership with Virgin Australia to Melbourne – subject to decent seat availability. For Cathay you’d be waiting for a decent sale fare to come up.

Otherwise Vietnam Airlines might be worth a look via Ho Chi Minh and they have A350’s on the long legs.

peter19
    Participant

Interesting pricing Alex on comparison there. However, I would hope many would not be paying 5k+ return to HKG in this example. Fares are often found much lower. I know you picked a random date though as an example as I posted before reading your previous reply.

The original ticket was under an Amex 2-4-1 voucher so hence this method of booking and therefore cancellation fees are at a minimum.
    Timings are not until the end of the year so I have plenty time to keep an eye on fares and make changes but was interested to see what travellers on this route HKG-MEL would consider a ‘good Business fare’. Topic slightly strayed there when i mentioned Qatar – thats my fault! 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=919720] …was interested to see what travellers on this route HKG-MEL would consider a ‘good Business fare’… [/quote]

Cathay Pacific are offering a ‘business class save’ fare of HK$23,700 for HKG-MEL-HKG right now, out on 9 December return 19 December. That seems a good fare to me, for their very good non-stop flights / comfort / service. (I know they have a sale on right now). *Again, I am not associated with CX*

AMcWhirter
    Participant

peter19 – I agree. I chose what Cathay bills as “standard fares” in business class for LON-HKG. Travel dates were out March 12 and back March 19.

For both HKG and MEL those prices were the lowest quoted online.

Worth noting that travel between Europe and Australasia is absolutely peak season at the time you wish to travel. Best not to wait too long before booking.

peter19
    Participant

[quote quote=919726]

…was interested to see what travellers on this route HKG-MEL would consider a ‘good Business fare’…

Cathay Pacific are offering a ‘business class save’ fare of HK$23,700 for HKG-MEL-HKG right now, out on 9 December return 19 December. That seems a good fare to me, for their very good non-stop flights / comfort / service. (I know they have a sale on right now). *Again, I am not associated with CX*[/quote]

Thats a consistent with what i’m seeing pricing wise for much of the later part of the year and not much variation within that. Cathy, Qantas and Singapore all much the same around the £2000 – £2300 Mark currently.

peter19
    Participant

I thought I would update on this for a bit of closure. I was monitoring the prices on google flights since posting this topic. There was very little movement but I just booked HKG-MEL with Singapore Airlines for £1600 ‘Business Lite’ fare. Since booking the price jumped back up overnight by an extra £478. Lucky! They were running some fare promotions until 20th June.

This will be an interesting trip with 4 sectors I cover the A380-800, B777-300 ER, A380-800 (with different layout) and then A350-900.
    The downside you could say it is not a direct flight, but the arrival and departure timings work well.
    All in, ABZ-LHR-HKG / HKG-SIN-MEL – RTN – the fare was £1600 + the BA Amex 2-4-1 taxes at approx. £650. not bad I would say!

cwoodward
    Participant

Peter,Singapore airlines has an ex HK fare of HKG 2,563.00 -s ome restrictions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls